Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
panda88

Kitchen Sink - Undermount Or Above Mount?

i think the suppor is also depend how to support..

some support only provide 4 piece of wood

lay 45degree to support the corners..

some sink is support using the entire struture from the sink all the way to the floor....

i using sink support for my undermount.. that's to prevent leakage from damaging my cabinets. extra $$$ but think it's worth it.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

My carpenter told me that a lot of undermount sinks leak and cause the cabinet wood to rot/spoil. He says he's never seen a topmount leak.

But of course, topmount sinks must make it a habit to wipe dry the edges after use. If not, over time if water keep touching and seeping into the tiny gaps between the sink and the solid top, a layer of disgusting black stuff may form and make it difficult to clean.

The sink sits between the wood surface and the granite tabletop, the only thing that's preventing water from seeping in is the silicon between the granite and the sink. Once the silicon deteriorates over time, you can expect water to seep in readily, it doesn't take long for the wood to be completely soaked with water.

And if one has the habit of filling the sink to the rim and do washing, the weight itself can cause the whole thing to collapse since the wood structure that's supporting the edges of the sink is considerably weakened over time with all that water.

Am thinking of doing concrete support for the undermount sink... Maybe it'll be better than the normal wooden support... U think?

Hi,

I think concrete may be better for support, but you may still face leaks. I think this is probably just the risk of undermounting.