Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
dumdum

5 Rm Resale Flat - Reno

some photos i found on this forum...

1) this is a feature wall n you can create this effect through wall papers or tiles but little info was provided on this wall n the material used only mentioned coconut husks

p1000461gxl.jpg

2) 3d drawing of a tv console with a feature wall

2w6h0fk.jpg

3) Another 3d drawing of a tv console with a feature wall

img20120706wa0005.jpg

4) Not 3d drawing. Notice anything different in this picture from the 2 3d drawings above ? Pls share your views...

img3018ny.jpg

5) One user posted this section as a feature wall, what do you think ? Feature wall showcasing window n wastepipe ? I personally feel its a misuse of the word "feature wall" on this section.

img1118se.jpg

I have no intention to target or criticise anyone on the above pictures, the purpose is to use it as a reference only... :yamseng:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbZDjnWtK1A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Enjoy!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

dont understand, care to explain in words ?

Speed,

Well, you are right. One wishes that there are more similar discussions in a renovation forum?

For example.

I worked with my ID for over a year, involving his inputs in the architectural design of the house. And yet, I found myself having to overrule his idea in so many aspects and the biggest problem was really not taking into account the impact of natural lighting (and artificial lighting, for that matters) in a piece of concept. The other one is space impact; or rather the perspective rendering due to space.

And mind you, he is a good designer, truly a pleasant guy, honest and very patient.

But the best piece of design concept will become bad when installed and lighting has not been adequately accounted. A white piece will look like a black piece when installed in an area inadequately lit. Take, as reference, the feature wall in photo #1. See the effect of natural lighting to the right side of the expensive feature wall?

I always thought that before anyone embarks on an alteration or interior decoration of a new place, he/she should spend 2-3 days observing it, how the place looks like in the morning, afternoon & evening time for a sunny day and then under grey sky.

I sat down with the ID, us in front of his computer running the 3D software and looked at lighting effects. My conclusion? At best, the software could capture 50% of an actual state. See where are the light sources in photos #2 and the effects to the piece?

The intend of the feature wall in photo #3 is questionable, as you did.

Cheers!

Speed,

Well, you are right. One wishes that there are more similar discussions in a renovation forum?

For example.

I worked with my ID for over a year, involving his inputs in the architectural design of the house. And yet, I found myself having to overrule his idea in so many aspects and the biggest problem was really not taking into account the impact of natural lighting (and artificial lighting, for that matters) in a piece of concept. The other one is space impact; or rather the perspective rendering due to space.

And mind you, he is a good designer, truly a pleasant guy, honest and very patient.

But the best piece of design concept will become bad when installed and lighting has not been adequately accounted. A white piece will look like a black piece when installed in an area inadequately lit. Take, as reference, the feature wall in photo #1. See the effect of natural lighting to the right side of the expensive feature wall?

I always thought that before anyone embarks on an alteration or interior decoration of a new place, he/she should spend 2-3 days observing it, how the place looks like in the morning, afternoon & evening time for a sunny day and then under grey sky.

I sat down with the ID, us in front of his computer running the 3D software and looked at lighting effects. My conclusion? At best, the software could capture 50% of an actual state. See where are the light sources in photos #2 and the effects to the piece?

The intend of the feature wall in photo #3 is questionable, as you did.

Cheers!

Hi lauer (lawyer ?), yes im actually hoping for more discussion instead of the usual Q & A postings... Actually my posting of the pictures are meant to help dumdum identify feature wall n tv console not about the lightings...

The purpose of highlighting out picture 4 is to see if anyone can notice the so called feature wall is wrong... If u call the frame mounted by the tv as a feature wall, its too small to be a feature wall maybe more like a mini feature wall or miniature wall if theres such a term... If the shelving is also considered as a feature wall, its too plain. There are more than 50% of the remaining wall not covered thus making this section of the living room not a featured wall.

So now back to the question i asked, compare the 2 3d drawings against picture no. 4, notice the way the feature wall cover the entire area ? As for picture 3, although the feature wall didnt cover the entire area but it still manage to cover at least 80% of that section... Same goes for the picture i got online on the wallpaper feature wall...

So now we go to the lighting part, 3d drawings are not 100% accurate as u had noticed already n its just meant to serve as a guide... Ids will definitely try to make the 3d drawing as impressive as possible but when comes to real life, its difficult to create the same effect because of natural light location ... Renovation works can be flexible at times when addition n alteration are required... If natural light cannot produce the same effect, adding artificial lights can still do the job... :yamseng:

Thanks Guy.

But is there any one doing the feature wall with multi purpose storage ?

tv console, display cabinet, storage, shoe rak all including?

see before?

and one more thing is that,

how you all settle the power socket?

how many wall power socket you had and how many extension? and where the extension you are put? in the hidden cabinet?

Hi dumdum, do u need a feature wall with a shoe rack or do you need just a shoe rack ? Thats 2 different items n 2 different pricing...

Refer to picture 3, u can see a feature wall with tv console together with a display cabinet... Some renovation works especially carpentry can be flexible as long as there are enough area to work with, i.e. id/contractor usually can custom make according to what you want provided u are ok with the custom make pricing...

Electrical wirings n sockets are usually hidden through the feature wall or tv console... As for how many sockets/extensions u need ? it depends on u n also how big the feature wall or tv console can hold...