Sign in to follow this  
originalbread

Originalbread's Humble Abode

Some updates.

285666_10151109668178285_1831971058_n.jpg

The other view of the kitchen

252363_10151160009808285_1805833590_n.jpg

new purchase during the weekend, tv console

now on the not so pretty stuff. grouting redone for living, bedrooms and kitchen. living and bedrooms does look better with matching grout. but here's the kitchen.

390322_10151160650748285_1205607558_n.jpg

can't understand why anyone can say that its supposed to look like this. really its 睁眼说瞎话。The contractor kept saying color not even not his fault, he told me before the color will not be even. But how can it be till this standard?

And the front door is still cracking after the repairs done not so long ago. seems like taking the door back to factory to repair, paint it with a waterproof lacquer still do not work. I tell the contractor I can't accept this door, must change. He said change to another one will still be like this becos the rain splash and afternoon sun at my place quite bad. Anyone can suggest a more appropriate type of door for a place that will 日晒雨淋?I would think those with as little designs and joinings would be safter (though mine is already quite simple, just 1 sq, 1 rectangle). Scared I insist on changing, ultimately still crack.

Goodness the door is really quite ridiculous..solid nyatoh wood should not crack so easily!! Mine was painted with waterproof paint and used for toilets with moisture..we've no issues after 2 months..

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

sometimes, I have this feeling that I will never get to move in. I think it may not be a good thing without a deadline to move.

I think losing sleep about reno is inevitable. Just hope things don't drag on too long and after which, we could progress on to other things. I've been neglecting a lot of other important things because of this reno... :(

sorry to hear about this...just try to endure and solve them. My renovation has started and have also encountered some unhappiness (even lose some sleep...)

I tell myself that renovation is just a small part of our life, just look forward to staying in my new place..

Goodness the door is really quite ridiculous..solid nyatoh wood should not crack so easily!! Mine was painted with waterproof paint and used for toilets with moisture..we've no issues after 2 months..

I also suggested using water proof paint but the contractor say it doesn't really help. everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. When I asked other contractors, they say can't be helped, this type of door spoils very fast because of the joinings.

saw some coffee tables I like at Space. managed to take a shot of one of them:

511_10151165630868285_245421781_n.jpg

very clean lines, just the right height to me (I don't like low coffee tables). and also matching with my tv console. but of course, issue is the price tag. Though Space is having sales of 35% and above now, the price of this coffee table is still way above what I would pay for any piece of furniture. haha, I reckoned the only thing I could probably afford in the whole shop is the Kartell ghost chairs.

Until now still haven't move in? Poor you.... Even though Reno is small part of our lives, but when it affect our daily life, it felt like forever.

I wonder whether laminated door would help? Since its whole piece of laminate, might withstand water/rain.

Until now still haven't move in? Poor you.... Even though Reno is small part of our lives, but when it affect our daily life, it felt like forever.

I wonder whether laminated door would help? Since its whole piece of laminate, might withstand water/rain.

Ya lor, so ridiculous...

Mmhh, is laminate afraid of water. will explore that option. thanks for the suggestion.

Ya lor, so ridiculous...

Mmhh, is laminate afraid of water. will explore that option. thanks for the suggestion.

I think laminate are water resistant except where they glued it to the frame. But if done properly should be ok cos kitchen cabinet also laminate mah. Mine also laminate and every month, the block cleaning will wet my front door but already 1.5 years, everything still as new.

You didn't say who is your contractor. Taking so long is a bit ridiculous lah.

I think laminate are water resistant except where they glued it to the frame. But if done properly should be ok cos kitchen cabinet also laminate mah. Mine also laminate and every month, the block cleaning will wet my front door but already 1.5 years, everything still as new.

You didn't say who is your contractor. Taking so long is a bit ridiculous lah.

Hi May

In case I get you wrong, do you mean your main door also laminate door? For the kitchen cabinet, we used a laminated top for almost 30 years before we got to change the cabinet. Don't know why the things nowadays so lousy. :bangwall:

My contractor office in Bukit Batok. Any one thinking of using someone who happened to be located there, pls pm me.

originalbread

Yup, my main door also laminated. I cannot find any design that are special enough so my contractor recommended me to do laminated door since I can choose any laminate that I like and design, just like kitchen cabinet or wardrobe.

Maybe, kitchen laminates comes with ABS trimmings? That's y it last longer...

actually only doors part come with ABS trimmings as doors more heavy usage. I think also, we can take more care of it ( I always wipe dry immediately when it gets wet) as compared to the main door if the main door gets exposed to sun and rain.:(

Just realise that I never did post my floor plan. Here is the original layout.

553922_10150946167888285_1312098571_n.jpg

I've made some changes like making the bedroom doors face each other rather than the living room, make a storeroom in between the bedrooms and also knock through the bedroom for access to bathroom.

Realised that my old table is too big for the dining area (on the right side on the plan just outside the kitchen.) Got to find something within 1 meter in width.

252357_10151169969643285_1836642517_n.jpg

Would a round table or square or rectangle table works better here? There is a dining light on top (see wire dangling from top). Any advise?

Yup, my main door also laminated. I cannot find any design that are special enough so my contractor recommended me to do laminated door since I can choose any laminate that I like and design, just like kitchen cabinet or wardrobe.

Oic, sounds nice. Juz spoke to my contractor, he say laminate should b more water resistant. But its scared of sunlight. Will change color or pop up with extended period of sun exposure. he recommends veneer if I want to change, but also n guarantee that it won't crack. If crack then revarnish. This is reall a problematic house. Did I mention that water marks r already forming at my kitchen ceiling?

Oic, sounds nice. Juz spoke to my contractor, he say laminate should b more water resistant. But its scared of sunlight. Will change color or pop up with extended period of sun exposure. he recommends veneer if I want to change, but also n guarantee that it won't crack. If crack then revarnish. This is reall a problematic house. Did I mention that water marks r already forming at my kitchen ceiling?

if he recommend veneer, then you try veneer. but all doors, extended period of sun exposure also will change colour, ie colour will fade off. As for pop up, i think the glue become too dry then pop up loh.

Then you can try veneer lah..... anyway i think veneer is cheaper than laminated door.

what water marks are those? means upstairs have water leaking?

if he recommend veneer, then you try veneer. but all doors, extended period of sun exposure also will change colour, ie colour will fade off.

Hi Bread, over in the maisonette owners thread, there was a discussion re: doors and Piggicia shared some photos. Thought you may be interested to see:

door2.jpg

This door is the old type.. my neighbor moved in 18yrs ago. dun think they change b4

door1.jpg

this door is less than a yr old. they bought the house last nov n reno for++ stay for about 8months. this is a veneer door if i'm not wrong

The newer door does show some wear and tear too (fading).

Were also discussing that HDB would install roller blinds FOC at corridors where rain would splash in and badly affected the door. FYI and if your door gets splashed by rain quite badly, could be something to consider. Maintenance of the roller blinds is the owner's responsibility, and not HDB's after installation. Piggicia installed acrylic on her gate to block some of the rain.

Thread: http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4853&st=4520