Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
DancingInTheRain

False Wall Inside Toilet

Hi!

I've a false wall built in my toilet shower area with compartments to put the soap, shampoo and stuff. I notice that my contractor used pky wood and cement to build this. He mentioned that after the cement are put up and then tiled, the wall is good for use. Is this the way to build this false wall? Anyone can pls advise? Thank you!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi!

I've a false wall built in my toilet shower area with compartments to put the soap, shampoo and stuff. I notice that my contractor used pky wood and cement to build this. He mentioned that after the cement are put up and then tiled, the wall is good for use. Is this the way to build this false wall? Anyone can pls advise? Thank you!

Plywood in the toilet showers :bath: ? Doesn't seem right... :blink: cuz plywood can't last long in places full of moisture.

False walls in toilet are usually done using hollow blocks (what my contractors do lol), as for the compartments can actually use glass panels to act as shelves. But as Seng said, there are many other materials that can be used too.

Hope this helps.

:yamseng: ,

Mike

Sigh... I asked my contractor and he said that ply wood then cement over, confirm no problem. Then I went to knock... Hollow de! The compartments for the shampoo and studf is done usig a thick block of wood... ;p Hollow blocks also give hollow sound? Sorry for the noob question. Hahhaaa....

Hollow blocks are pretty soild when cemented over. Definitely no hollow sound. I guessed the plywood should be okay ba after cement and tiling. If moisture still can get in after that, then workmanship must be pretty lousy liao.

Hmm... Checked again, he said the walls are using cement sheets. Only the 2 supports for compartments in the wall are solid wood (abt an inch think). The wall is then tiled. When I knock on it, it's produces a hollow sound, which I don't like. Those 2 pieces of wood also cause me concern.

He says it's better than hollow block as if any problems with the pipes, just tear out part of the wall. But I'm thinking, if need to tear out, might as well tear out the whole thing else difficult to align the tiles anyway... And how often do we get problems with water pipes???

Is my rationale correct or Shd I just follow what he says?

Nobody uses wood in toilet. Other countries.. humidity low.. can, Sg no way.

So many condo.. all tiled with marble walls in toilets.

Minimally is hollow block. wood and cement board.. got different expansion rate, and is also different from the tiles. Will crack very soon.

Hmm... Checked again, he said the walls are using cement sheets. Only the 2 supports for compartments in the wall are solid wood (abt an inch think). The wall is then tiled. When I knock on it, it's produces a hollow sound, which I don't like. Those 2 pieces of wood also cause me concern.

He says it's better than hollow block as if any problems with the pipes, just tear out part of the wall. But I'm thinking, if need to tear out, might as well tear out the whole thing else difficult to align the tiles anyway... And how often do we get problems with water pipes???

Is my rationale correct or Shd I just follow what he says?

if he is using water resistant board then is fine.

if he is using water resistant board then is fine.

From a moisture resistent point of view, yes, it is ok. But owner don't like the hollow sound.

I just don't see the reason why hollow block is not being used.

This is not a feature wall where nobody touches it regularly.

This wall is highly utilised in a hostile environment, and has compartments for shampoo bottles.

From a moisture resistent point of view, yes, it is ok. But owner don't like the hollow sound.

I just don't see the reason why hollow block is not being used.

This is not a feature wall where nobody touches it regularly.

This wall is highly utilised in a hostile environment, and has compartments for shampoo bottles.

Huh?

btw, i have came across HDB rejected layed of hollow block for these compartment wall due to weight load, they then permitted me by changing it to light weight block.

What happened to mine was the guy who did my false ceiling and L-box came and do the pipe box-up in all my toilet and shower. So with brackets and aluminum/stainless steel sheets, he boxed them up and screw the same sort of wood they used in the false ceiling. The tiler then put a layer of water proofing cement (the same sort they use on the kitchen and bathroom floors) before tiling it.

What happened to mine was the guy who did my false ceiling and L-box came and do the pipe box-up in all my toilet and shower. So with brackets and aluminum/stainless steel sheets, he boxed them up and screw the same sort of wood they used in the false ceiling. The tiler then put a layer of water proofing cement (the same sort they use on the kitchen and bathroom floors) before tiling it.

Oh oh...

Not for the shower cubicle area, I hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1KtScrqtbc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Enjoy!

there this is an example of my common toilet.

IMG_2319_zps8fa844d8.jpg

IMG_2490_zps8cb05584.jpg

IMG_2455_zps201bec37.jpg

my board i think is not gypsum board but more like made of hard ceramic. when u knock is like steel sound.

its Calcium Seilicate Board