Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ffantasy221

Building A Room In Penthouse Roof Terrace

Dear All,

I am planning to reno on my penthouse condo.

I have 2 big balconies without roof on top floor of this condo.

I have consult the management of my condo ,they say I can not build any shelter on these 2 balconies.

I plan to purchase enough artificial creeper(purchase from China ,very cheap) as out side cover.

Creepers will serve as outside cover and then I plan to use transparent polycarbonate as room wall(sliding door) and non transparent polycarbonate as roof(to keep out sunshine)

In order to cover the full height of these 2 new rooms ,I will build the artificial creeper wall to 2.7 meters height.

So from outside it is I plant some creepers.

My ID suggest me not to use cover but to build these 2 balcony room directly.He say my condo use consists of 56 units and did not hire security(owners of this condo to save money and they use card to enter main gate).

My ID say usually small condo management will not as strict as those in big condo.

My ID also say If management force me to detach these 2 balcony rooms he will not cover any expense.

So I am taking all risk on my own.

My penthouse is in 15th and 16th story.

This is the first time I bought a condo and I am lack of reno experience,will experts please give me some suggestions on how to deal with my 2 big balconies?

Solution 1.Use cover and build 2 rooms

Solution 2.Build 2 transparent polycarbonate room without cover

Solution 3.Just use portable huge umbrella

Thank you very much for you suggestions.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Umbrella is not safe 'cos you are on very high floor and maybe wind can throw it down over the terrace. I saw once one umbrella flew from high floor of one condo next to mine, fortunately fell down to meadow....

It is very interesting idea that one with creepers :notti: .........

You have PM.

Edited by Andreja

I suggest you think twice about erecting new structure on your balconies since mgt already indicate it is illegal.

Yes, many a time it will not be discovered. But when your neighbor found it and made complain or inquiry to mgt, then you are in trouble.

My friend did the same to his roof terrace assuming no one know. Since he's a no security guard apt, he thought it is safe to risk it.

He suspect his neighboring unit tried to do the same structure and that is where mgt came knocking at his door.

thanks for your suggestions!

I plan to build aritificial creepers wall first and after 6 months if no complain or trouble from mgt,I will build room behind the creeper wall.

My condo is a 50 units small size without security,I want to make a try.

Apart from the fact that your structure may run foul of the MCST's by-laws, it may also be a breach of URA regulations. So, you do take a risk if you decide to go ahead.