Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
spiffysue

A House Is Not A Home

thanks everyone!!

it's at Tampines and approx 1550 sqf.

yup the windows were a huge draw.. i especially loved the 3/4 length windows in the bedrooms, 'cos they are a bit cottage-y. i'll post more photos tonight :)

Your place is big ! The rubbish chute is inside the house or ? We also bought a 5 room in tampines ... Didn't realised that's a nice unit in 4xx , congrat ~

Like your bathroom door n kitchen tiles too ~ nice.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

we feel each others pain :D

yes i read that other thread about the guy who sandpapered. and we tried that out too.. we manually sanded half of our living room. the floor is SO much smoother. and it does seem like much less powder! so i think it really does work. i thought sealant wuld solve this!! if it doesnt, then may i ask what's the pros of sealant? would you recommend it?

Hmm...

ETC did two coats of resin gloss for his (beautiful) home. I've just asked if that is the solution to sandy cement screed floors.

08399947.jpg

a4c95d9f.jpg

90b211c9.jpg

more pics here: http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=47307&st=80

Hey spiffysue, did you do anything special for your long entrance?

Btw do try to 'stress test' your place. Switch on the appliances and aircon/heater, etc, splash water around your toilets. Basically try to quickly check if there are any major defects before you make your final payment. Else very inconvenient if a drain chokes after you've moved in, etc. Best to spot any defects asap. :rolleyes:

Some sneak peeks of our place. This was taken few weeks back.

We're still short of lots of furniture. Haven't even bought dining chairs! Taking our own sweet time to furnish............. -__-

]

Hi spiffysue, where did you get your track lights from? Are they regular or special track lights (sorry I know nothing about track lights) and are they the only lighting in your place? No down lights? Are they also bright enough for studying in your living area at night? Trying to figure out my lighting options as we have no false ceiling, and my concern is that track lights aren't bright enough generally or will be too hot. What's your experience like?

Edited by mandj

Hi spiffysue, where did you get your track lights from? Are they regular or special track lights (sorry I know nothing about track lights) and are they the only lighting in your place? No down lights? Are they also bright enough for studying in your living area at night? Trying to figure out my lighting options as we have no false ceiling, and my concern is that track lights aren't bright enough generally or will be too hot. What's your experience like?

hi there, i got them from my uncle who is a lighting supplier. they are regular LED track lights. Yup this is the only lighting we have, because we wanted to save cost and avoid building a false ceiling. well, my experience is i don't really like it. the lights are very directional, so no matter how you aim them, there's always some dark spots in the room. although generally the room is bright enough to read, it still can't compare with downlights. if you get LED ones, they won't be hot.. so at least thats one less concern. i saw some people mix track n downlights.. i think that would be much better. hope this helps!

Hi spiffy,

I would recommend the sealant. It repels water and supposedly prevents staining. Cement is porous. But i would only do it after the floor is sandpapered. Contrary to what i think my id thought, the sealant doesnt glue the loose dust to the floor. If its there it will still flake off. The sealant used is matt so theres no shine, which is the look i like.

Hmm...

ETC did two coats of resin gloss for his (beautiful) home. I've just asked if that is the solution to sandy cement screed floors.

Hey spiffysue, did you do anything special for your long entrance?

Btw do try to 'stress test' your place. Switch on the appliances and aircon/heater, etc, splash water around your toilets. Basically try to quickly check if there are any major defects before you make your final payment. Else very inconvenient if a drain chokes after you've moved in, etc. Best to spot any defects asap. :rolleyes:

yup i'll be adding a sealant few mths later.. choosing between gloss and semi-gloss. undecided!

long entrance already has built-in shoe cabinets from the previous owner. we kept that, and will be doing some DIY stuff to make our own mini balcony area :)

my fiance is already living in our new place for the past few weeks.. so far so good!

I second this. In fact, I cannot stress this enough. Ideally you'd only make the final payment after you've lived in the place for a few weeks.

And only pay after whatever needs to be rectified is fixed. Do not go along with promises like "OK I'll have it done by the end of the week." I wouldn't even place too much faith in the warranty given, if any.

The main reason is not that they won't honour the warranty or finish up the work, but how you will become last priority after the ID receives final payment. There's simply no incentive to do so when there are other clients, who haven't paid yet, to serve.

The industry's very competitive, everyone's trying to make as much money as possible, so even the nicest ID can suddely become unresponsive once they've received the final cheque from you.

[quote name='adidaem'

Need some help here, guys!

I work from home quite a bit.. so i want a chair that is comfortable and has adjustable height (cos i am short). But i really hate the look of bulky office chairs.. especially those with rollers. Does anyone know of any chair with adjustable height but that doesn't look like the normal office type?

Need some help here, guys!

I work from home quite a bit.. so i want a chair that is comfortable and has adjustable height (cos i am short). But i really hate the look of bulky office chairs.. especially those with rollers. Does anyone know of any chair with adjustable height but that doesn't look like the normal office type?

you may check out humanscale freedom chair.. opt for non-rollers. its a great chair if you do have budget to splurge..

you may check out humanscale freedom chair.. opt for non-rollers. its a great chair if you do have budget to splurge..

that one is very bulky too.. like a normal office chair.

What i meant is a nice armchair that has adjustable height. anyone has seen something like that ard before??

Btw guys, i have a brand new 56" ceiling fan for sale. Bought it but realized it's too near our track lights.

Totally unused. Retailing at Chan Huat for $300 but selling for $250.

PM me if interested! Full warranty available.

photo_zpsba71e919.jpg

Rooms

Some sneak peaks right after painting (1st 2 coats) and lights were installed. We were testing the track lights, so excuse the alternate lights on the track, lol.

Master bedroom:

IMG_3802_zps33b21904.jpg

WIW before cabinets were installed:

IMG_3815_zpsb9c8bba6.jpg

Guest room:

IMG_3816_zpsa1d1efda.jpg

Guest room right after vinyl flooring was laid:

IMG_3827_zps3879652b.jpg

Hi, i too installed relite fans for the house...with casing to hide the wires...no false ceiling. I noticed that the fan cap (where the motor is) isn't 100% flush with the ceiling...cos the fan itself isn't flushed. Did you have that problem? If you did, how did you solve it? pic to explain what i mean below.

relitefan_zps0656eedc.jpg