Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
reload72

The Ceiling Fan Debate

The IDs I've talked to previously are quite receptive to the idea of ceiling fan :P :P . Cos a ceiling fan is really very practical. The only problem is that you have a limitation on how to design your false ceiling.

If your living room is those long type, then certain areas wun kena the wind from the fan, then mayb u need to decide if you want to get 2 ceiling fans :unsure: :unsure:

IMHO, its the ID's job to help you think of how to help you meet your requirement. Probably you tell him/her that you really want a ceiling fan and willing to compromise on the design a bit. see what they propose before you decide lor.

There are designer ceiling fans available if you are concerned abt integrating to the design, but those may be quite ex. I've seen some in the $500 ranges. I, however, chosen KDK for its reliability rather than the design. KDK designs are all very simple and standard and nothing fanciful.

Thanks hawthorne. I agree with you that it's the ID's job to help us think of the design to integrate it to meet our requirement.

One ID actually suggested that if I want to install ceiling fan, I might have to forgo cove light as there will be shadow of the fan blades when both the fan and cove light are switch on. How true is this for HDB flat?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

my false ceiling with fan

ID left enough space for it.

SNC01022.jpg

before fan added

SNC01010.jpg

Edited by zhiz

I know this thread is dormant for quite a while now. The IDs I have met all said that ceiling fan is ugly and may affect the design of the house.

Anyone has any good ideas to install ceiling fan to incorporate it in the overall design and still can have a stunning look?

Hmm don't think it will make the place look ugly if you plan it carefully. Both my living room and study room only have ceiling fan and we are happy with it cos 1) saves electricity 2) save environment 3) cheaper than air-cond 4) it creates a naturally airy and windy feel in the house.

Currently using sunflower fan in the study room and V6 (both manufactured by Alpha) in the living room.

Ugly? Judge for yourself ;)

fan-living.jpg

V6

proreno-day009-living04.jpg

In the living room

fan-sunflower.jpg

Sunflower

day33-study01.jpg

In the study room

Nice fan. What brand is this and where you got it?

alpha 718 at lightings.com.sg

best price there :)

200 plus

my false ceiling with fan

ID left enough space for it.

SNC01022.jpg

before fan added

SNC01010.jpg

Thanks zhiz. If I've seen correctly, you don't have cove light, do you? False ceiling with downlight is fine with ceiling fan... It's just that the cove light may cast some shadow if there is ceiling fan, and the ceiling fan is switched on.

Just want to be sure before I go for ceiling fan with cove light.

Thanks zhiz. If I've seen correctly, you don't have cove light, do you? False ceiling with downlight is fine with ceiling fan... It's just that the cove light may cast some shadow if there is ceiling fan, and the ceiling fan is switched on.

Just want to be sure before I go for ceiling fan with cove light.

yes got fan = no cove

got cove = no fan :)

contrator install my kdk ceiling fan n it shaky ,said need balancing tape to rectify.

but got 1 fan seller said kdk don need balancing?

btw where to buy balancing tape??

hi there :)

i have a ceiling fan exactly like the one you referred to....

here it is....

P1010474.jpg

the fan rotates horizontal around the pole when the blades are turning.... quite a cool device...

its a good looking contemporary fan....some may not like it..some do.....fortunately, i really love it...

its comes with a remote control....and we bought it from elmark...you can hunt for it...

price wise, i cannot remember the exact amount cos we bought it a few months back.. but i remembered the sales person quoting me S$1000 plus before discount....

i am also a fan (no pun intended) of this leather-bladed fan...

faninbedroom.jpg

some say it looks like a big fly....but i just think it is easier to maintain as the colour is black...plus with the huge blades angled, it is really quite a powerful fan....

i really dislike the traditional white, plastic-looking fan with thin baldes....so it was quite tough looking for the fans that we like...

anyway, to each his own...have fun with your hunt for the perfect ceiling fan! :)

Is there a light below?

Is it bright enough?

yes got fan = no cove

got cove = no fan :)

I intend to have cove lights and a ceiling fan... so i am not sure if its really suitable..

i have seen quite a number of photos with both cove lights and fan...

can anybody tell me how to arrange it? or its a definite no no?

By the way, hows the wind generated by the V6?

I intend to have cove lights and a ceiling fan... so i am not sure if its really suitable..

i have seen quite a number of photos with both cove lights and fan...

can anybody tell me how to arrange it? or its a definite no no?

By the way, hows the wind generated by the V6?

i think to fit cove lights and ceiling fan, the size of the hall is a consideration. If cove lights are too close to the wall, insufficient lighting (an ID told me this, need minimum 1.5ft clearance from wall). If the hall is too small, after installing the L-boxes, the space left will not be sufficient for a ceiling fan.

i think to fit cove lights and ceiling fan, the size of the hall is a consideration. If cove lights are too close to the wall, insufficient lighting (an ID told me this, need minimum 1.5ft clearance from wall). If the hall is too small, after installing the L-boxes, the space left will not be sufficient for a ceiling fan.

u can be id liao

so what should be the min distance be between the fan blade and edge of LBox/cove light?