Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
macuser77

Our Second Reno Journey

IMHO 听老婆的话就对了for this... :) (must read ur posts carefully bcos dunno bro or sis speaking.. hee hee! :lol:)

Hi

It's the mrs here

I may not necessary be right..it's been proven that I make wrong decisions too!

Anyway we'll most probably leave the walls as it is as my in laws love to cook

We figured oil stains, if any, will look less obvious on cement screed walls :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi

It's the mrs here

I may not necessary be right..it's been proven that I make wrong decisions too!

Anyway we'll most probably leave the walls as it is as my in laws love to cook

We figured oil stains, if any, will look less obvious on cement screed walls :)

Hi sis, did i mention listen to 老婆 "for this".. kekeke :lol: bcos i oso like ur idea of keeping the wall raw & decorate it with vintage/rectro mural or posters...:)

Cleaning of toilets: Glossy vs Matt Tiles

Its the Mrs here..a totally irrelevant post, but may be useful to anyone who has to clean the toilet him/herself...

I remembered that we were at Hafary and were at a loss as to what wall tiles to choose for the toilet. The very knowledgeable sales executive at Hafary told us to get glossy tiles as it would be easier for cleaning. We heeded her advice but it never dawned on me how easy it is to clean glossy tiles until today. Was cleaning my toilet at my parents' (which had glossy tiles) and oh my!! It was a breeze cleaning the soap scum off the tiles. This is such a contrast to the matt tiles in my old toilet (which had since been hacked thank goodness!). Back then, matt tiles were strongly recommended by the so-called ID, using the oft quoted reason - aesthetic reasons, without taking into consideration maintenance in the long run. I still remember those times when I cleaned my toilets, no matter how I cleaned, the soap scum just doesnt seem to go off.

So an advice to all potential toilet cleaners - GET GLOSSY TILES!! :)

And a BIG thank you to the sales executive at Hafary!

Cleaning of toilets: Glossy vs Matt Tiles

Its the Mrs here..a totally irrelevant post, but may be useful to anyone who has to clean the toilet him/herself...

I remembered that we were at Hafary and were at a loss as to what wall tiles to choose for the toilet. The very knowledgeable sales executive at Hafary told us to get glossy tiles as it would be easier for cleaning. We heeded her advice but it never dawned on me how easy it is to clean glossy tiles until today. Was cleaning my toilet at my parents' (which had glossy tiles) and oh my!! It was a breeze cleaning the soap scum off the tiles. This is such a contrast to the matt tiles in my old toilet (which had since been hacked thank goodness!). Back then, matt tiles were strongly recommended by the so-called ID, using the oft quoted reason - aesthetic reasons, without taking into consideration maintenance in the long run. I still remember those times when I cleaned my toilets, no matter how I cleaned, the soap scum just doesnt seem to go off.

So an advice to all potential toilet cleaners - GET GLOSSY TILES!! :)

And a BIG thank you to the sales executive at Hafary!

lol read this too late, i used floor tiles for toilet walls lol, cham liao :bangwall:

lol read this too late, i used floor tiles for toilet walls lol, cham liao :bangwall:

Just curious- it can be done? Way before we went Hafary, we were at SBH every week. We wanted floor tiles for wall tiles and the SBH person said that floor tiles can't be used as wall tiles as they were too heavy or something like that ( it was too technical for me to comprehend)...

can leh, the hafary lady nvr object :wacko: . I used the same pattern tiles for toilet walls, just different in color.

or i am using wall tiles of the same design and finish? :rolleyes:

maybe only subject to those that are heavier or more expensive types? :dunno: mine are budget and common tiles tho.

Edited by edd

can leh, the hafary lady nvr object :wacko: . I used the same pattern tiles for toilet walls, just different in color.

or i am using wall tiles of the same design and finish? :rolleyes:

maybe only subject to those that are heavier or more expensive types? :dunno: mine are budget and common tiles tho.

Hmm, maybe hafary has better quality tiles. Haha

Hi there, been perusing the forums (havent been active since my first reno in 2007) for a year now in hopes of finding a contractor for my newly purchased resale condo and Mr. K sounds wonderful. Could you please share this wonderful man? Am not sure how PM works yet but my email address is damelza.harris@gmail.com.

Your new home looks like its coming along superbly. The contractors I used for my first home wasn't so great so am proceeding cautiously this time.

Thank you.

Hi, I wonder if you can pm me your contractor's contact? Like u, I was toying between getting an ID or contractor. But after some search, I realize that ID uses a lot of unnecessary feature. Thanks!

Hi there, been perusing the forums (havent been active since my first reno in 2007) for a year now in hopes of finding a contractor for my newly purchased resale condo and Mr. K sounds wonderful. Could you please share this wonderful man? Am not sure how PM works yet but my email address is damelza.harris@gmail.com.

Your new home looks like its coming along superbly. The contractors I used for my first home wasn't so great so am proceeding cautiously this time.

Thank you.

Hi. I've PMed you instead. Do let me know if you have problems retrieving the PM. :)

Hi, I wonder if you can pm me your contractor's contact? Like u, I was toying between getting an ID or contractor. But after some search, I realize that ID uses a lot of unnecessary feature. Thanks!

Hi. PM sent.

Brick wall

Some updates. We have requested for Pinkwhale's brick wall (thanks Pinkwhale, if you're still on renotalk ) to be replicated in our home for our living area.

Please note that this is not the final product as there will be some modifications, and the wall is not painted yet.

Some history on this:

Me: 我要 Pinkwhale 的 brick wall.

Mr K: 好 (at the same time he kept stressing it is a very subjective thing), but we noticed his "sian" look when we mentioned that. haha

Wife and Mr K busy discussing on the modifications:

2c3f43a793faf081610c21f66a8daa87_zps97a7

We noticed the middle patch was exceptionally big and round, and luckily he agreed. Hence, he will shift some to "dilute" its thickness. We were quite shocked by his creativity when he was marking out those bricks to be shifted, all within a few minutes ! (need to stress that this is no fault of Mr. K, as his worker does not have much experience in this "patchy" work. Mr K told us that he personally did Pinkwhale's wall).

On a side note, he was early again...we were supposed to meet around 11-11.30am,

and he called at 9.30 !

Mr K: 你到了没有

Wife: 还没有

Mr K: 可以现在来吗

Wife : 我们刚买早餐。。。十点半可以吗

Mr K : Ok.

And we had to rush thru' our favourite CV nasi lemak and petai, but it was well worth it.

89c1da9e9daf253f198ffc0221283ce6_zpsebe2

Edited by macuser77

Lights discussion:

to cut short, we had a long lengthy discussion (1.5 hrs), and I think I have really bad taste compared to Mr. K.

Here's why:

Living room light (purchased from Taobao) :

88f251869b1a20e2fe1be3585c75be1c_zpsa60a

Mr. K : 这里跑tracklight还是吊灯

wife: 吊灯

Mr. K : 吊灯放哪里 ?

Me (very excitedly) : 中间 (me pointing onto centre of ceiling)

Wife (immediately jutted in) : no la should be corner !

Me (agitated) : 没有 ! 中间 啦!

Mr K : 你的灯是圆的事吗? (note that he hasn't seen our lights before). 这样应该放旁边。 中间不美。。。

Me: (zipped up and pai seh)

Lights discussion:

Mr. K : 这里跑tracklight还是吊灯

wife: 吊灯

Mr. K : 吊灯放哪里 ?

Me (very excitedly) : 中间 (me pointing onto centre of ceiling)

Wife (immediately jutted in) : no la should be corner !

Me (agitated) : 没有 ! 中间 啦!

Mr K : 你的灯是圆的事吗? (note that he hasn't seen our lights before). 这样应该放旁边。 中间不美。。。

Me: (zipped up and pai seh)

haha, the awkward moment

but then it does shows Mr K is not the ordinary type of contractor