Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
macuser77

Our Second Reno Journey

An unplanned purchase

Pics of our previous impulse dining lights purchase (from Central World Bangkok):

185782bc938972943c5c07ea879e3427_zpsc75f

1ceac862297c4e63888b42cec15887a5_zps70ee

105ee28cfe55e36736f984f8b6e10092_zpsdcf6

Edited by macuser77

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

An unplanned purchase (part 2)

The more we look at our previous purchase, the more uncomfortable we felt about it. My hubby thought it looked cheapo and very much like a toy.

We came across these beautiful Moroccan hand painted lamps. Let the pics do the talking :

IMG-20130525-WA0006_zps2924a15a.jpg

We got 3 of these beautiful lights in different design :

971b46ed774ed70fd38c0d2aaa385438_zps5750

Edited by macuser77

The early bird Doesnt get to catch the worm after all...

It's the Mrs here

As the saying goes, the early bird catches the worm. Unfortunately, it doesnt apply in our case.

I am so so so upset, to say the least. And it is all thanks to BoConcept.

Recently received an email from them regarding the design sale with store wide discounts of 20% and additional 5% on preview night. As mentioned above, we have purchased our stuff about a month ago.

What upsets me was that I had asked a few of the sales executive at both outlets if there would be a GSS. They said that most prob there would not be any GSS this year as they had not received any news. Even if there were to be a GSS, the sale would only be on selected items. I took their word for it and purchased my items and now there is a GSS?!? Seems like they were more eager to close the deal rather than be honest.

On a sidenote, I am such a shopaholic and yet I can get deceived. Sheesh! (Must be too much online shopping)

The sales staff are also not well informed re the T&Cs of sales. I shall not go into the specifics but it really gave us quite abit of inconvenience.

Well, what's done cannot be undone. I can only sulk and console myself with this.

1. the additional 5% discount is not alot

2. My furniture can be delivered to me on time rather than in august/ sept

Lessons learnt

1. Never never never believe what the sales say

2. Wait, wait and wait until the sales start! Do not buy before the GSS

Thank for the timely reminder. I will wait till GSS. :good:

wow....interesting stuff!!! nice!!

hmm,....speaking of GSS...any idea if Mega is having a gss sale yet? I have electronics to buy for the home...settled on the models already for the fridge, tv and washing machine :)

wow....interesting stuff!!! nice!!

hmm,....speaking of GSS...any idea if Mega is having a gss sale yet? I have electronics to buy for the home...settled on the models already for the fridge, tv and washing machine :)

Hi Vanessa,

Actually Mega has no GSS. U can choose the model that you want, get their quote and place a deposit (usually 100 ++). Then you'll need to do your homework by going to heartland shops, parisilk etc to get the best price, and Mega will match them, with further discounts depending on your bargaining skills.

They're having a road show in Oct , but I personally think it's rubbish, since they can match prices elsewhere.

The advantage Mega has is that they accept credit cards. If you're buying a lot, you'll get to earn enough air miles to redeem air tickets after your reno !

They sell almost everything, including the spin dry mop system, which is like $10 cheaper than NTUC (before bargaining). They even sell Leifheit ironing board.

You can also try asking for free bulbs (non LEDs though) if you've made quite substantial purchase. We jokingly asked if can throw in free philips tornado bulbs, and their reply is " 拿 lor". Ya we know bulbs are cheap, but its the cheap thrill we get from such cheapskate requests. Haha.

I recommend Joe from United Sq branch. Very pro and humble when he's not busy. I would not recommend going there during their road shows as they'll be too busy to provide you with undivided attention.

Edited by macuser77

Our sliding doors (wet kitchen)

The sliding doors for our wet kitchen and living area are up. The doors for the wet kitchen are actually wire meshed glass door, as proposed by Mr K.

It turned out beautiful, and we absolutely loved it.

As usual my Mrs was fretting over the wire mesh, as she was worried that it would have an industrial effect, which is not what we wanted. But since he kept saying “会很美”, we followed his suggestion.

No regrets :good:

ea25845f1e550dceea450863d02c55b7_zpsc06b

987835c9e783051a26bc4af4136063dd_zps6bb7

He informed us that there could be tracks along the floor and it might cause slight inconvenience. But to our pleasant surprise, there weren't any. This is especially important to us as my parents will be staying at times, and it might pose a safety hazard.

We tested the door, and they were very sturdy as compared to the wobbly and cheapo products we encountered.

Meticulous suggestion by Mr K:

Converstation between him and my wife:

K: 厨房的fixed panel门我帮你收在外面 (fixed panel to be outer most panel)

Mrs : ok (mind was thinking "got difference meh" -we always agreed to his suggestions as they were practical. Though minute, they will definitely affect our day to day activities)

K: 我帮你收在外面是因为以后比较容易清理 (gap between cabinet and panel can be cleaned easily since free panels are kept outside)

This was a very thoughtful suggestion as he remembered us telling him we are very fussy about being not able to clean hard to reach areas. This is especiall important for us as we do heavy cookings at times.

Edited by macuser77

钻石!!(Diamonds !!)

We have now reached the carpentry stage, and Mr K whatsapped my wife the sketches:

IMG-20130608-WA0001_zpsa158ac1b.jpg

Conversation:

Wife: 请问那些钻石是设计吗 ?(are the diamonds part of the design ?)

The call came in within 5 mins :

Mr K:不是钻石!!( 3 x) ( no these are not diamond designs !)

Mr K: 是门的开关!(it's to indicate the swing doors/drawers etc )

Edited by macuser77