Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jasdy

"sailing" To The Northeast@punggol

Went to downtown today to do some furniture shopping. Still looking for a TV console and have been pondering over this Grafunkt Line console for the longest time.

or1o_12c_ud2si.jpg

It is available in walnut or oak. Even after discount, still cost slightly more than $3K. Quite a stretch for my budget but both wife and I like it alot. Also spotted another reasonable alternative at Harvey Norman. It's the Marie Claire entertainment unit.

@ jasdy

I would also concur that a solid console that last for years will be better.

You can custom make it for < 1.6k. Just give them the photo of what you want, discuss the measurements and get a better one than those cheap mdf ones from HN.

You can see my blog: http://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2012/09/my-gear-9-2012.html

I have the contact locally for it, and it's made of mahogany.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

@ jasdy

You can custom make it for < 1.6k. Just give them the photo of what you want, discuss the measurements and get a better one than those cheap mdf ones from HN.

Hi pete, can pm me the contact for custom made wood furnitures? Thanks!

Actually, the GSS sales starts in April btw so if you just move in in March, GSS would be ideal. You'll know by then what you need and how much space to cater for it etc.

Having been through a few sales cycles, I think both year-end and GSS are about the same. Really depends on the brand/promo given. E.g. the promo/price for Grafunkt isn't as good as 2011 but the same as GSS 2012.

E.g. http://emrenoblog.wordpress.com/2012/05/12/2511/

http://emrenoblog.wordpress.com/2012/04/21/sales-sales-everywhere-and-coming-soon/

Hi adidaem & bleucheeze,

Thanks for your feedback on the GSS vs end-of-year sales. If that is the case, will only get the essential items by the end of the year. And will slowly add those accessories after I have moved in. Not so tough on the wallet too!

Hi petetherock & sherting,

Thanks for the feedback on the two TV consoles.

@ jasdy

Although I am very likely going to get Grafunkt's Line console, I feel that the Marie Claire series being sold in Harvey Norman are of a certain quality too. (Soft closing is really very smooth) Dun think they are made of cheap mdf although have to agree with you they are not made of solid mahogany or oak/walnut. And thanks for the advice to custom make it. Was thinking along that line too but feel that it's hard to replicate the exact same design? Saw your blog and seems that you are really into audio stuff. ;)

Hi adidaem & crypaz,

Thanks for the feedback on the sideboards. Really appreciate it. :yamseng:

I don't know if it's the picture tone, but the color of the Harvey Norman items make them look 'cheap' (sorry if I sound atas). Maybe need to compare with 'beauty shots' like the one you posted of the Matthew Hilton sideboard. For sideboard with legs, think quite a few places have them. Can look around for a cheaper alternative if budget is a constraint. Or wait a bit if it's considered a 'non-essential' item.

Btw since you've already bought some teak stuff, do the wood colors go together (ditto if you are using any wood laminates)? Best not to mix light/dark and patterned wood unless there is a particular look you are going for. I've seen some combinations that made me wince.

I think the picture tone isn't exactly flattering, although have to admit the veneer/laminate is a tad yellowish. Maybe will try to put a "beauty shot" to give justice to the comparison. Maybe it's subconscious too? Tend to post the nicer pics for our preferred choice. :notti:

Think Grafunkt has a miniforms version which is very similar to the Cross sideboard. But heard Grafunkt no longer taking orders and from what I remember, is even more ex. Will continue to look around for cheaper alternatives and this is indeed a "non-essential" item. And depending on living room design/layout, a sideboard might not be needed.

The teak book shelves from Scanteak is not a big concern as I will be placing them in the study/chapalang room. But yes, I am indeed worried about how all the colours and furniture will come together. Initially, I was more conservative and wanted to stick to oak & light coloured wood. But then was thinking that could be too boring and I had seen that walnut & oak did complement well in some stores.

A mix of oak & walnut is inevitable as I have committed to some purchases (L-shaped sofa, dining set & even a leather recliner) already. :bangwall: They were sort of "irresistable" deals. Will be posting the pics and mentioning about them soon. Anyway, I will be meeting my "almost confirmed" ID/contractor tonight and hopefully he is able to accomodate all the furniture to fit the Scandinavian theme as he starts drafting the 3D pics. Let's hope the end result will not make me wince!

Hi petetherock & sherting,

Thanks for the feedback on the two TV consoles.

Although I am very likely going to get Grafunkt's Line console, I feel that the Marie Claire series being sold in Harvey Norman are of a certain quality too. (Soft closing is really very smooth) Dun think they are made of cheap mdf although have to agree with you they are not made of solid mahogany or oak/walnut. And thanks for the advice to custom make it. Was thinking along that line too but feel that it's hard to replicate the exact same design? Saw your blog and seems that you are really into audio stuff. ;)

You will get a lot of info from my posts if you are preparing to install a HT system:

http://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2011/11/good-sound-great-living-my-home-theatre_10.html

The same guy who did my console will also build bookshelves for you from teak or mahogany.

Hi adidaem & crypaz,

Thanks for the feedback on the sideboards. Really appreciate it. :yamseng:

I think the picture tone isn't exactly flattering, although have to admit the veneer/laminate is a tad yellowish. Maybe will try to put a "beauty shot" to give justice to the comparison. Maybe it's subconscious too? Tend to post the nicer pics for our preferred choice. :notti:

Think Grafunkt has a miniforms version which is very similar to the Cross sideboard. But heard Grafunkt no longer taking orders and from what I remember, is even more ex. Will continue to look around for cheaper alternatives and this is indeed a "non-essential" item. And depending on living room design/layout, a sideboard might not be needed.

The teak book shelves from Scanteak is not a big concern as I will be placing them in the study/chapalang room. But yes, I am indeed worried about how all the colours and furniture will come together. Initially, I was more conservative and wanted to stick to oak & light coloured wood. But then was thinking that could be too boring and I had seen that walnut & oak did complement well in some stores.

A mix of oak & walnut is inevitable as I have committed to some purchases (L-shaped sofa, dining set & even a leather recliner) already. :bangwall: They were sort of "irresistable" deals. Will be posting the pics and mentioning about them soon. Anyway, I will be meeting my "almost confirmed" ID/contractor tonight and hopefully he is able to accomodate all the furniture to fit the Scandinavian theme as he starts drafting the 3D pics. Let's hope the end result will not make me wince!

If you want a Scandi theme, then just go for a very clean and simple palette. Light colors, light wood... take your time to buy stuff. New pieces will always come up that you'll love. Speaking from experience since I'm still shopping for minor pieces for my place and it's been more than a year since I loved in. e.g. think I would have gotten the JotterGoods desk if it was launched earlier. Oh well... the perils of shopping too much.

I've replied to you via PM using your comments email address btw.

Edited by adidaem

Shall share some of my purchases from Cellini a few weeks back!

m1tv_05d_ud2si.jpg

The above dining set is the main reason why we found ourselves at Cellini in the first place. Quartz top with oak legs/bottom. Ironically, it was first introduced to me by my wife more than half a yr ago. I didn't really paid much attention to it then, except thinking that it was quite expensive. Thereafter, wife was more interested in more "affordable" options from boutiques like Commune. However, I preferred a more hardy table top (Afraid wood will get stained or water will seep in) and this seemed the best option. I love the light coloured oak too! :P On its own, the set (1 bench & 2 chairs) cost $2k+. Have been eyeing it for a long time and went to this Cellini branch at Suntec (have tried a few outlets and they seem more willing to negotiate) eager to negotiate for a better price.

m1tv_12f_ud2si.jpg

Before we even got the chance to negotiate for a better price, this sales lady offered me quite an irresistable package deal which involved the dining set and the sofa above. It was quite a no brainer except for the fact that we had already paid a 30% deposit for another sofa already. But my calculations showed that even if we forfeit the deposit, this set seemed a better buy and I guess it could fit better with the other furniture we had in mind. So we committed with little hesitation. And since it's walnut veneer, think can satisfy wife's desire for some darker wood. :D

1fed_8cd_ud2si.jpg

Father-in-law had tried their leather recliner before and liked it. (looks smth like the pic above) Wife and I found it to be really comfortable and it wasn't that bulky too. And so we were pondering whether we could get one for my in-law's new place and one for ourselves! But luckily we held back and got only one at a gd price. Wife thinks that we can put it in the living room but my gut feel is that it could stick out like a sore thumb. Personal preference is to place it in the study room to rest and relax while I am reading. :good: Otherwise, it would be our gift to parents-in-law. But have to admit this was an impulsive and additional purchase! :bangwall:

Hello everybody,

Just wanted to share this financial tip with all forummers - apply for Manhattan card and get 5% cash back :good:

http://www.wowmanhattan.com.sg/

I personally find this wonderful especially for all those big ticket items that we buy with credit cards. For a couple if you each apply the card separately, thats double the amount of savings! (Wife and I have utilised 4 of these cards with the help of in-laws for wedding and furniture expenses)

Note though, monthly spending must be >3k to qualify for 5% cash back (its tiered % cash back tied to how much is spent monthly. For lower amounts spent, you get less % back so not worth it) AND there is a quarterly cap of $200 per quarter -

This means $4k max spending in any quarter which also effectively means you can only use it once for every quarter to garner the max benefit! (Wife and I staggered the payments for our wedding banquet to reap the max benefits!)

So time your purchasing properly to maximise the savings!

Note, i dont work for SC bank, just found that this is the best deal so far, and since i am getting so much from knowledge from this forum, its my way of contributing! (I have personally gotten cash back worth a sizeable 4 digit amount from my wedding and furniture/electronics expenses)

If you want a more detailed eg of how the card works, can refer to this website courtesy of sgbluechip:

http://sgbluechip.blogspot.sg/2010/09/best-credit-card-in-singapore.html

(This post is adapted from sefoo's post dated 27 June 2010. Have updated to ensure info is not obsolete and to include my experience after using the card for the past 2 years!)

Hello everybody,

Just wanted to share this financial tip with all forummers - apply for Manhattan card and get 5% cash back :good:

http://www.wowmanhattan.com.sg/

I personally find this wonderful especially for all those big ticket items that we buy with credit cards. For a couple if you each apply the card separately, thats double the amount of savings! (Wife and I have utilised 4 of these cards with the help of in-laws for wedding and furniture expenses)

Note though, monthly spending must be >3k to qualify for 5% cash back (its tiered % cash back tied to how much is spent monthly. For lower amounts spent, you get less % back so not worth it) AND there is a quarterly cap of $200 per quarter -

This means $4k max spending in any quarter which also effectively means you can only use it once for every quarter to garner the max benefit! (Wife and I staggered the payments for our wedding banquet to reap the max benefits!)

So time your purchasing properly to maximise the savings!

Note, i dont work for SC bank, just found that this is the best deal so far, and since i am getting so much from knowledge from this forum, its my way of contributing! (I have personally gotten cash back worth a sizeable 4 digit amount from my wedding and furniture/electronics expenses)

If you want a more detailed eg of how the card works, can refer to this website courtesy of sgbluechip:

http://sgbluechip.blogspot.sg/2010/09/best-credit-card-in-singapore.html

(This post is adapted from sefoo's post dated 27 June 2010. Have updated to ensure info is not obsolete and to include my experience after using the card for the past 2 years!)

I totally agreed that the SCB Manhattan is the best card for buying more than 3k, giving you 5% cash rebate.

I uses the card a lot for my new house renovation. The sanitary ware, the pole system wardrobe and furniture since I know I will be spending a lot that one month.

For small amount, you can use the debit card from Xtrasaver which give you 2% cash rebate if you maintain 6k.

:yamseng:

Thanks to the lead from adidaem and Mrs Loo, got to know about the Landex/Luzerne sale. For those who are not familiar with the brand, they sell ceramic table ware and their products are used by international hotels like Ritz Carlton and Shangri-La. Apparently, Food Republic uses it too!

m1tv_f81_ud2si.jpg

We went down to the place on a Sunday afternoon. It was quite empty so it made for good shopping. Most of the collections were on 30% discount, with a further 10% if you are using a POSB/DBS credit card. :good:

m1tv_f3f_ud2si.jpg

We were previously considering Corelle as it was much lighter but we were quite impressed with the finishing of the Luzerne products. Wife really likes those used by Food Republic too! Landex also has some nice melamine ware but wasn't so pleasing aesthetically and they did not belong to the Luzerne branding. Furthermore, can't be used for microwave purposes.

The below pic shows what we had bought in the end. Mainly the basics like soup spoons, plates, bowls and serving dishes (about 4-6 of each). After the discounts, cost only slightly above $100. Much more affordable than we thought! If you have a higher budget, you can even consider those with gold rims! Real classy!

m1tv_7a9_ud2si.jpg

Yay... We just came back from the sales too...

Bought the whole set of tableware... Spent near to 400... But worth it.. :wub:

And yes, we bought the gold trimming ones... :yeah:

Yay... We just came back from the sales too...

Bought the whole set of tableware... Spent near to 400... But worth it.. :wub:

And yes, we bought the gold trimming ones... :yeah:

Wow, gold trimming ones! *Envy* But agree that they are worth it. Although I haven't started using them, doubt I will regret my purchases at Landex too! Glad the lead was useful.

As usual, went shopping for our new home during the weekends. Starting to feel a little burnt-out already but was really happy with today's "harvest"! :dancingqueen:

Was at the Taiseng area in the afternoon. It's my fourth time in the area for the past 1.5 months! Think I am already very familiar with the place already.

First stop was at Lush Lush with plans to get some Eames replica chairs. Both the fibreglass and plastic versions were available. As the fibreglass versions can easily be chipped off and were almost twice as expensive, we got two white plastic ones in the end.(Spot the difference below!)

ix4j_f68_ud2si.jpg

We were also on the lookout for a coffee table and saw this. As we were planning to place the dining table behind our sofa, space becomes a constraint and this is a tad bulky. :dunno:

weqv_607_ud2si.jpg

And our next stop was..... Grafunkt! Today we finally committed to the Grafunkt Line TV console. We managed to get it at slightly more than a 20% discount. :thumbs up: But wife and I had a hard time deciding between the oak/walnut version. Got the walnut one in the end since there was no price diff. Guess we probably can't stick closely to the Scandinavian theme and the final result would most probably be closer to modern mid-century? (which wife prefers more!)

m1tv_b72_ud2si.jpg

Grafunkt was also having clearance sale for some items! :dribble: And wife managed to spot the set below.

gs50_86e_ud2si.jpg

Initially, she just wanted the white round one but based on my initial drawings on the floor plan, think we needed a longer one. Decided on this combo in the end. (Pardon the iphone pic) We actually carried and placed them beside an L-shaped sofa to see how the combination would look like and we even contemplated carrying it down one floor to see how it fits in with our walnut console! :P

h9x5_b7a_ud2si.jpg

So all in all, a fruitful day with some surprise buys and we are almost done with all the furniture buying! (before even getting the keys....oops!)

Glad you found something at the clearance sale. We popped by as well but nothing caught our eye at Grafunkt. Air had a black crater console display piece at 2.4k. Uber tempting.