Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kooky

Open Net

Renovation work in my flat has started.

A kind neighbour brought it up to us that we need get in touch with OpenNet to get the fibre optics cable laid as we are required to make an appointment for them to come down to our flat to pull the cable line, it is best is get a date whereby the electrician is doing the wiring job so these cable lines can be concealed.

1) There are various types of cable, namely Cat5, Cat5e and Cat6. I was told that Cat5e works just good but if we can afford

it ($$ wise) get Cat6. For those of you who are using Cat6, is there a great difference between Cat5e and Cat 6? How much

is the cost difference?

2) I intend to run the cable from our TV console in the living room. We like to idea of having all the 3 rooms in the 2nd

floor to have FO.

How many metres is required (approximate)if I want to ensure that all the rooms have connection? And what will the cost of it (approximate)?

3) I heard that we should not get the router from service provider (e.g. Singtel) as the one provided is not good. The best

option is buy our own router.

In this case, which brand and model is reliable for stable connection and for good upload speed?

I heard the prices offered by the telco (e.g. Singtel, M1 etc) varies, largely depends on the cable we are given (or is there a choice)? and also the types of routers being offered. So I really would like to know more and what I am paying for.

Thanks for the time in reading my post and responding to my inquiries.

P/S: I can't really decide until some of these questions are answered.

Edited by kooky

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

For cable cost, iirc it is something like $35 for 5m. Best is double check at openet website.

How much cable needed, only u will know right? Cos if u wanna run up n down all over, then obviously u gonna need more right?

For the fibre package, best is talk to telcos n see what suits u best. From the way u ask ur question, it is obvious Thursday u dunno what u want. So it'll be difficult to advice u.

Thanks, Batman.

Of course I don't know or else I wouldn't have posted this thread and had pointed out clearly that I would like to know more before contacting Open Net or be misled by the telco to pay more than I need. Hope this clarifies?

A kind neighbour brought it up to us that we need get in touch with OpenNet to get the fibre optics cable laid as we are required to make an appointment for them to come down to our flat to pull the cable line, it is best is get a date whereby the electrician is doing the wiring job so these cable lines can be concealed.

1) There are various types of cable, namely Cat5, Cat5e and Cat6. I was told that Cat5e works just good but if we can afford

it ($$ wise) get Cat6. For those of you who are using Cat6, is there a great difference between Cat5e and Cat 6? How much

is the cost difference?

2) I intend to run the cable from our TV console in the living room. We like to idea of having all the 3 rooms in the 2nd

floor to have FO.

How many metres is required (approximate)if I want to ensure that all the rooms have connection? And what will the cost of it (approximate)?

3) I heard that we should not get the router from service provider (e.g. Singtel) as the one provided is not good. The best

In this case, which brand and model is reliable for stable connection and for good upload speed?

I heard the prices offered by the telco (e.g. Singtel, M1 etc) varies, largely depends on the cable we are given (or is there a choice)? and also the types of routers being offered. So I really would like to know more and what I am paying for.

1) if u can afford it, cat 6 is best from a data throughput perspective. dunno wat's the latest price, best to check in sim lim square. cat 7 is even better but i would say that's really expensive rite now.

2) u gotta get ur electrician to measure, no one knows wat ur layout is like and how far away the points r etc

3) that's up to personal preference and how many walls u r going thru. only matters if u're using wifi primarily. if u r using wired connections primarily, frankly, the ones that the service providers provide are fine. upload is throttled by the service providers and is router independent - u should be more concerned with download speed (go for dual band n routers if u want the absolute fastest but that's for wifi)

cable that's offered ? not sure wat u mean ? the physical "cable" that enters your place and laid by opennet is fibre which connects to your termination point. from TP to ONT is again, fibre. from ONT to router is the cat5/6/7 cable. subscription fees are independent of the cable u r using ... u should check out the opennet website for more details on how the whole setup is wired up ...

dragonite, thank you so much in taking the time to explain more.

I will give my contractor who will liaise with the electrician to take measurement to know exactly how many metres I need to wired up the whole EM.

I believe my husband prefer wireless connection though :-)

is the cost difference?

floor to have FO.

You may also want to conside Homeplugs which is also good option,readily available but best time to buy would be during the computer shows typically once every 3 months.The next one is scheduled in March this year.

Thanks, Batman.

Of course I don't know or else I wouldn't have posted this thread and had pointed out clearly that I would like to know more before contacting Open Net or be misled by the telco to pay more than I need. Hope this clarifies?

Hi kooky,

Think you really need to know what u want. How many computer systems do you have? Can tap on wireless? How much speed do you need?

For fibre optics, think there is a pretty good deal, free digital voice, free 7.2 mpbs mobile, a good speed of 100 mpbs at home at only $39/- dollars a month. I m contemplating to sign up upon expiry of my current contract.

Maybe you re-examine your needs and wants?

My two cents worth.

Thanks, eaglef18 :-)

I will try to read up on Homeplugs.

You may also want to conside Homeplugs which is also good option,readily available but best time to buy would be during the computer shows typically once every 3 months.The next one is scheduled in March this year.

Thanks, Ken.

We are subscribed to Singtel for MIO and mobile bundles. As we each has a mobile phone, we do not see the necessity to have home phone (e.g. digital voice).

We are just looking for fast speed connection for our wireless devices and laptops (e.g. 4 altogether). My husband is frustrated as he realises that the speed of Singtel broadband is getting worst; at times we even get disconnected a few times in the evening when he was trying to reply to some urgent work emails.

Thanks, Ken.

We are subscribed to Singtel for MIO and mobile bundles. As we each has a mobile phone, we do not see the necessity to have home phone (e.g. digital voice).

We are just looking for fast speed connection for our wireless devices and laptops (e.g. 4 altogether). My husband is frustrated as he realises that the speed of Singtel broadband is getting worst; at times we even get disconnected a few times in the evening when he was trying to reply to some urgent work emails.

Hi kooky,

Easy decision. Decide on where your Opennet box to be located. Please note that the length of the standard fibre provided to link modem is limited. What you should know is these three items, opennet box, modem plus router,need to be in close proximity, due to cabling constraint etc.

I am current subscriber of Singtel fibre. Have been them when it was introduced shortly. But now, will switch to m1's offer as mentioned above.

Anyway, the digital voice comes free. Your choice. The handsets of my family auto connects to Wifi when we are along the common corridor.

The most important decision is to know where to place your OpenNet Box. I was advised by a Telco guy to place it on the second storey, which I did.

Maybe you can visit T-blog which relate to the more or less same topic for my inputs.

Hope the info helps.

Edited by KenLui

is the cost difference?

- All category of cables mention is how the transfer rate of data works for individual class.for your kind of living space eg Landed house,multi level,i would recommend cat6 for future upgrades

floor to have FO.

- Open net will only run 1 x Fibre point ONLY per house unit.You got to be specific on the location of your fibre point with availability of power source.Then you lay your data cable starting from there,make it a starting network point,all points in your house got to run parallel down to the fibre point.In order to get wireless coverage in multi levels,you got to invest in each individual strategic spots wireless extender.It will replicate the wireless signal throughput.Connection through wired connection.Eg Fibre point--RG(residential gateway)/modem-->wired-->Lan connections points-->individual rooms/strategic LAN points in the house-->wireless extender for wireless boost.Homeplugs is not advisable for multi level house due to different power phase

- buying your own router has its risk you need to know whether the router/rg/modem is compatible with the ONT that will install by individual telco.Different services by telco eg Digital voice/MIOTV etc has their specific firmware and vlan connections embedded in the specific service provider router.No two service provider carry the same make/model of modem/router/rg.

]I heard the prices offered by the telco (e.g. Singtel, M1 etc) varies, largely depends on the cable we are given (or is there a choice)? and also the types of routers being offered. So I really would like to know more and what I am paying for.

-consumer rights.You need to do research on 1)price point 2)value added services/bundled services 3)any hp subscription perks or discount

subscribed speed doesnt mean going wireless or wired you are able to get the speed

1)wireless limitations -wireless throughput through B/G/N mode differs

2)wireless coverage - wireless connections has its limitations.walls,heights affect your wireless signals to reach your device location

3)network adapter for pc/laptop need to be compatible eg GIGABIT adapter to enjoy subscribed speed.Not fast ethernet adapter.

4)your device eg laptop/desktop/tablet has their limitations due to hardware eg RAMS,outdated OS and systems,virus and malware etc

Edited by Freakerz

Hi kooky,

Easy decision. Decide on where your Opennet box to be located. Please note that the length of the standard fibre provided to link modem is limited. What you should know is these three items, opennet box, modem plus router,need to be in close proximity, due to cabling constraint etc.

-fibre cable to connect to the ONT is called fibre patch cord,very hard to find more than 6m as its made from fibreglass and it cant bend much.You are able to shift your modem/RG elesewhere provided you lay LAN cable from ONT to modem/RG and you are able to placed it anywhere in the house

I am current subscriber of Singtel fibre. Have been them when it was introduced shortly. But now, will switch to m1's offer as mentioned above.

Anyway, the digital voice comes free. Your choice. The handsets of my family auto connects to Wifi when we are along the common corridor.

-it doesnt auto connect,you have set it and input your WPA/WEP passkey in your devices,thats why it auto connect once it in range of the wireless signal of your house connection

Edited by Freakerz

Freakerz, thanks heap! This piece of info has indeed answered almost to all the doubts I have. Now I have a better knowledge on Open Net FO installation.

Have a pleasant day all :)

No worries,i do this for a living :rolleyes: ..i always see house owner being promised by the sales @ point of sales/sign up that everything can.But onsite physically @ owner end everything is limited or unable to do due to house renovate nicely,Fibre point in an awkward place and house owner refuse surface trunking for wiring. :thumbs up::sport-smiley-004: Any queries you guys can PM me..FOC advice..=)