Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Waaaa.. you sure or not, how to carry back? See if you like the ones at An huat bah, I think they are quite pretty. And the hafary one I told u.

Haha that is if we can't find this here or on TB, but we already saw some on TB. Anyways will be going for a few cubic meters to buy furniture etc back so might as well get a few cartons!

Now we are browsing aliexpress which is equally potent! Need retail therapy while waiting for quotes!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Can't help poking my nose into discussions everytime i read about talks on these vietnamese cement tiles.

If you decide to use cement tiles, you need to know that after applying the sealant, the floor is quite slippery after you apply sealant especially when you wet mop the floor. Nice to look at but got to be careful especially if you have young kids or old folks at home.

The boxes of tiles i got came quite badly discolored and unfortunately, i saw it only when half the floor was already done. So, i'll advise home owners to check every single piece of tiles, if you can, before your tiler lays them down. Sigh... For me, everyone who had popped by my this apmt before, all can see and commented on the discoloration. The only saving grace is luckily these tiles are meant to look old, used and give a nostalgic feel, so the discoloration still can close one eye. Plus, i don't live in that apartment, so can close the other eye. No see, no so heart pain...

See my cement tile passageway - http://www.view2offer.com.sg/45819

Edited by RenoDaze

@renodaze if you don't mind me asking, where did you get your tiles from? Locally or online?

Yeah we will need to apply sealant and unfortunately we are looking at these for bathroom floor tiles (warning bells ringing!) stubborn me has to go to the tile shop to see and decide to use them as floor or wall. In a way, luckily there are no kids or seniors, just 2 of us + 4-legged friend :)

And also considering putting slippers to use in the bathroom. Me thinks it may become a battle of aesthetics versus practicality!

@renodaze if you don't mind me asking, where did you get your tiles from? Locally or online?

Yeah we will need to apply sealant and unfortunately we are looking at these for bathroom floor tiles (warning bells ringing!) stubborn me has to go to the tile shop to see and decide to use them as floor or wall. In a way, luckily there are no kids or seniors, just 2 of us + 4-legged friend :)

And also considering putting slippers to use in the bathroom. Me thinks it may become a battle of aesthetics versus practicality!

I like the ceremic tiles too! V pretty but I wouldnt and couldn't (not kids friendly) use it for my floor because Im the sort who will feel v gao weh and sad if the tiles discolour which is likely to happen overtime. How abt putting thm up on the walls only instead and choose contrasting colours on the floor. V chio too.

Do you guys host alot? No kids living in but what about kids visiting. E.g: We used to have no grills in our first home and we didnt thought it was a problem until we started getting older and friends started visiting with kids in tow. Then our house became super kid unfriendly. There are times when we tot we need to install the grills even IF we didnt have kids then.

Floor unlike grills. U can't suddenly change it later. It's major rework then

Edited by ment0s

YIPPEE! Finally our quote is in! But it comes very close to $40k for a 3 roomer so is that normal?

Or perhaps because it is the 1st quote, Alan quoted higher with room for adjustment & bargaining? Definitely it looks a standard template... Will need time to mill over it.

YIPPEE! Finally our quote is in! But it comes very close to $40k for a 3 roomer so is that normal?

Or perhaps because it is the 1st quote, Alan quoted higher with room for adjustment & bargaining? Definitely it looks a standard template... Will need time to mill over it.

what stuff are you doing? maybe you can list down the items that you are planning to do?

Finally your wait is over! Not surprised that he uses a standard template... Take your time to pore over it while waiting for other contractors lor. Btw, u got my PM? Do send me your email addy if u still need that tile pix :sport-smiley-018:

We are heading to An Huat this Sat to take a look at their tiles. Read from one of the tblogs that they supply such floral tiles to the other shops. This is our first tile visit so what should we expect and what should we ask?

Go to unlimited and view the selection, then ask your designer to buy. They have discounts.for sealer dont ask unlimited to seal, ask your designer to seal for you as its cheaper.

I got mine from An Huat, sealant done by my contractor. When you are at An Huat, you probably won't feel the slipperiness of the tiles. I felt it only after sealant was applied. A friend commented the same too when she popped by to visit and helped me mopped the floor.

Vacanthost did the ceramic tiles for their kitchen, perhaps you can check if theirs were slippery before you use it for toilet floor.

My contractor had originally asked me to choose another design and use it as toilet wall feature instead of as floor, which i didn't listen. A bit too late for me to regret now.. Haaa

I got mine from An Huat, sealant done by my contractor. When you are at An Huat, you probably won't feel the slipperiness of the tiles. I felt it only after sealant was applied. A friend commented the same too when she popped by to visit and helped me mopped the floor.

Vacanthost did the ceramic tiles for their kitchen, perhaps you can check if theirs were slippery before you use it for toilet floor.

My contractor had originally asked me to choose another design and use it as toilet wall feature instead of as floor, which i didn't listen. A bit too late for me to regret now.. Haaa

Going to explore more options and hopefully we can find similar-looking ones that do not need the sealant...though this sounds like wishful thinking :(

i bought mine from unlimited. they have a three type of sealer gloss semigloss n matt. i took matt not slippery at all.

Saw this lovely chair on Oddyssey but can't buy yet!

8498250522_84a7ef6e27.jpg

Nice retro arm chair by Makanology, on Flickr

Also am inspired to buy old furniture and try our hand to restore them. Is it expensive to reholster such chairs? Or tailor made new cushions?

i u can diy yrself. buy spray n fabric fm spotlight or amazon. missoni or paul smiths are nice.

what stuff are you doing? maybe you can list down the items that you are planning to do?

Here's what Alan quoted me for:

- hacking of 2 bathrooms + kitchen (everything)

- hacking of living room + bedrooms skirting

- 300x600mm homogenous floor tiles for 2 bathrooms + kitchens

- 300x600mm ceramic wall tiles for 2 bathrooms + kitchens

- Construct low seat in master bathroom plus 50mm drop down kerb

- changing of all pipes, laying hot water pipes to 2 bathrooms, piping for washing machine etc

- labour to install sanitary wares & kitchen sink

- 10.5ft top & bottom kitchen cabinet (L-shape) with usual soft closing, ABS trimming, dish tray etc

- Solid surface top 15ft

- Full height kitchen cabinet 3.5ft to hold microwave & storage space

- Laminated low dining table (hmmm we didn't ask for that)

- Glass sliding door for kitchen

- Glass door for master bathroom

- Aluminium bifold door for common bathroom

- Adjustable louvre windows with KDK ventilators for 2 bathrooms (taking this out as we heard rain will come in)

- Full height wardrobe 6ft for master bedroom

- Labour & materials for brick walls for dining area, bar area and wall behind sofa

- Overlay laminate flooring for living room + 2 bedrooms

- 2 full height display cabinets for living room (1 for Vodka bottles and 1 for my limited edition toys)

- 1 bar table (granite top)

- 1 laminated wooden panel TV ledge in living room

- L box for living room & master bedroom

- False ceiling outside storeroom

- Whole house electrical wiring & power points ($2400)

- Whole house painting ($1150)

- New veneer doors for bedrooms & storeroom

- Sliding windows for living room, common bedroom & casement windows for master bedroom & kitchen

- Window grills for all windows

Now this looks like a lot of work but we do not intend to take up all of these so will pick & choose and get him to revise. In fact, we didn't ask for some of the items but we guess this is a standard menu and we choose what we can 'consume'

Edited by Makanology