Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
klbs

Why Renovation Cost For Condo Much Higher Than Hdb?

Has anyone ask this question here before?

Why is the renovation cost much higher for resale condo compared to similar size resale HDB unit?

Any contractors can explain the reasons?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

the main reason will be the restrictions by the condo management, you can only work from 9am to 5pm monday to friday, if sat you want to work must apply to the management., thus incurred much higher labour fee. th3 others will be disposal of debris, transportation will add on to the renovation charges.

In my own opinion, I am very much agreed to Jeffwei's explanation. Although HDB does have the same stringent 9am to 5pm time period for contractor to work with, more often than not, contractor will face many more difficult situation and stricter guidelines working in a condo project.

Situation like neighbor complaining about the noise and requested management and security to intervene, they will ask contractor to stop work and resolved the issue first. There are even cases whereby due to complaint of the noise, the management asked the contractor to work only from 2pm to 5pm (or a certain short time period only) during weekday only. Each day with only 3 hours, the whole morning/day will be wasted. Hence, longer period of time spent with the same amount of work to be done, the charges will definitely be higher.

Another issue is with the submission of relevant documents and renovation deposit required. Some contractor who are not so well educated, they will get others to fill up the forms for a fees, hence a higher cost incurred. And it is sometime quite troublesome with all the documentation needed in comparison to HDB submission, for some management requirement. And with regard to renovation deposit, if the management is reasonable and fair, it is a blessing for the contractor. However, if its otherwise, many a time the contractor will get deducted on their renovation deposit. If contractor asked owner to pay for renovation deposit, owner will hold contractor payment and make deduction if there are any. Which in any way, the contractor after all the hard work, they still must pay from their pocket for unreasonable (not all the time) deduction, if I were the contractor, I would rather not take up the job.

With all these issue, many contractor has even avoid condo project. If not they will charged a premium price to do it. Because if situation like the above did happened, at least they can recover a little. Not to mentioned that some even incurred a higher lost when met unreasonable home owners.

"the main reason will be the restrictions by the condo management, you can only work from 9am to 5pm monday to friday, if sat you want to work must apply to the management, thus incurred much higher labour fee"

I don't understand the reasoning. Can you work on Saturday for HDB reno without incurring higher labour fee? Reno at my condo can be done Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm and Sat 9am to 1pm for no noisy work.

"the others will be disposal of debris, transportation will add on to the renovation charges."

Can't they have a separate clause instead of marking up prices?

"Another issue is with the submission of relevant documents and renovation deposit required. Some contractor who are not so well educated, they will get others to fill up the forms for a fees, hence a higher cost incurred. And it is sometime quite troublesome with all the documentation needed in comparison to HDB submission, for some management requirement. And with regard to renovation deposit, if the management is reasonable and fair, it is a blessing for the contractor. However, if its otherwise, many a time the contractor will get deducted on their renovation deposit. If contractor asked owner to pay for renovation deposit, owner will hold contractor payment and make deduction if there are any. Which in any way, the contractor after all the hard work, they still must pay from their pocket for unreasonable (not all the time) deduction, if I were the contractor, I would rather not take up the job."

I thought the document submission and deposit is done by the owner. Anyway, the deposit is not a huge sum, only asking for $500-$1000. If contractors do the due diligence and not damage the condo property, I think it's unfair to add the cost to owner.

"With all these issue, many contractor has even avoid condo project. If not they will charged a premium price to do it. Because if situation like the above did happened, at least they can recover a little. Not to mentioned that some even incurred a higher lost when met unreasonable home owners."

By the way, owner also risk engaging irresponsible contractors, so should I undercut the contractors?

Edited by klbs

Peace & Quiet. Any noise, kpkb at security, they will take action accordingly, live in HDB? you are allowed to make reasonable noise from morning all the way until maybe night 7pm? call police and they won't do anything.

If your contractor make too much noise, be prepared to get chase out by security or stop work immediately until further notice.

Personally, all else being equal, the difference is the labor costs. Because material costs are only so much, but condo have WAY much

more restrictions as compared to HDB. Just take clearing of debris for example; for HDB, u can park those super huge bin and throw

everything in it n tow it away at 1 go. For most condos, u cannot do that n u can only utilise the smaller to make multiple trip.

Just like driving a conti car, then be prepared to pay more for servicing and maintenance etc.

How much more should condo owner expect to pay compare to hdb owner assuming both units are same or similar size?

Edited by klbs

Some logic for demolition works due to noise control and haulage but how come electrical works also mark up?

Possible reason based on my limited understanding...

HDB usually have exposed wiring/trunking and pipes. These involve less work then those wires/pipes embedded in walls (allowed in condos) since:

(i) You don't have to hack/expose the walls to lay the wiring/pipes

(ii) You don't have to plaster back the wall

(iii) You don't have to repaint or whatever other misc work required to restore the wall condition

Less steps = less coordination with different contractors/groups of workers = less time for project = cheaper cost.