Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kelstorm

Diy Dining Lights Using Absolut Vodka Bottles

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

We are toying with a similar idea but using a smaller & slimmer beer bottle from 7-11. We already have a set of 3 pendant lamps hand-made & bought from Thailand but broke 1 bottle recently :( it is a pity to trash this away...

How do you intend to cut the glass bottle?

hi.. i planning to get a glass bottle cutter and do it... but before i do that, i need to secure some bottles first.. no point getting the cutter but no bottles to cut.. lol

Do you guys have any experience stripping the printing off these bottles like absolute?

I have a bottle which i would like to strip the printing off, tried paint remover/thinner etc still can't work..

HELP!!

Mind sharing where to buy the glass cutter and its price?

Which vodka bottles have you shortlisted?

I'm trying to get my hands on frosted bottles... so far, only managed to get two... which flavour dun matter though..as long as it is frosted... lol... currently, i managed to get 4 clear bottles and 2 frosted..

Cutter, i saw glass cutter at DIY shop in IMM going for ard $9..handheld pen style..... i might get this and then DIY a rig for this... alternatively, i saw a few online..

http://greenpowerscience.com/BOTTLECUTTING.php3

http://www.glasscrafters.biz/CTGY/bottle

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ephrems-Bottle-Cutter-DELUXE-Kit-includes-a-FREE-bottle-neck-adapter-Ephrems-/290886409884?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ba2e5e9c

Do you guys have any experience stripping the printing off these bottles like absolute?

I have a bottle which i would like to strip the printing off, tried paint remover/thinner etc still can't work..

HELP!!

i think if it is printed on it.. a little tough to strip it off unless u sand it down... tt might work but ur bottle will not retain the polished look

Oh, it's not for the absolute bottle, its for a decanter from another brand. Find the branding unsightly.

I've seen on youtube how people use this thing call STARSAN to strip the paint.. but i cant seem to find it locally..

I am new to this forum, but yes, I manage to cut wine bottles successfully n beautifully. It's not that difficult but just need some practice and some common sense.

I am new to this forum, but yes, I manage to cut wine bottles successfully n beautifully. It's not that difficult but just need some practice and some common sense.

Hi can you share with us the steps to do it? TIA!

this is the vid on youtube that uses just cloth string and nail polish.

wrap the nail polish soak string around the bottle and light it on fire, then after a while dunk it into cold water.

the sudden temperature change will make a perfect cut on the glass.

but i reckon it will be very sharp so need to sand it off with the gray stone they used to sharpen knifes.

At first i got this same idea with ABSOLUT but i was too worried with the weight. in the end i decided to go with Campbell soup cans, those large ones that restaurants use. havent got them yet thou. but the idea with the metal interior will add additional reflection to the table and once the label age and turn yellow it will look pretty vintage.

soup-can-light-1.jpg

Edited by nloft

the can idea is nice...

the nail polish method is probably good for thin walled bottles.. Ab vodka glass thickness is much thicker and takes more time n effort to do it... futhermore, this method does not give an even cut due to the way the twine is wrapped ard the bottle.