Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Chien

Help Needed: Moving Gate Pillar For Semi D

Hi all..

My horrifying contractor just told me he has a problem moving the pillar of my new place after 4 months of talking..

Anybody knows how to do it and any contractor to recommend for the job?

Thanks

c

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Most gate pillars have the meter compartment on one side. If your design is as such.. it will be costly to relocate. What exactly is the problem?

Most gate pillars have the meter compartment on one side. If your design is as such.. it will be costly to relocate. What exactly is the problem?

We would like to widen the gate so 2 cars can park inside as we realized our new neighbors have too many cars parked outside their houses... Yes, the pillar has all these meters.. Just wondering if anybody has moved the pillar before or any new solutions ?

Thanks !

We would like to widen the gate so 2 cars can park inside as we realized our new neighbors have too many cars parked outside their houses... Yes, the pillar has all these meters.. Just wondering if anybody has moved the pillar before or any new solutions ?

Thanks !

Did your contractor explain to you why he couldn't do it?

The boundary line of the house starts at the line where the pillar aligned with the abutting walls. Which means that, at the driveway, the land outside this boundary line belongs to the state. To widen the driveway, permission needs to be obtained from LTA.

Correct me if this is inaccurate, I believe that LTA placed a 4.0m limitation to the width of the driveway.

Now, normally there would be a public drain just outside this boundary line, which channels the rainwater from the road to whereever it should go. When you widen the driveway, the culvert would need to be widen as well, in order to carry the load of the car going in and out of the house. To modify the culvert, permission needs to be obtained from PUB.

The cost of modifying the culvert could be substantial, as it is a RC structure.

Now, normally the utility lines (telecom, power, gas, water) run under the public drain or the existing culvert, so maybe these would have to be shifted as well. To do so, permissions are required from the telecom provider, SP Power, PUB etc.

All submissions would need to be handled by a QP, so there is the fees for the QP as well.

But assuming that you are willing to go through all these and pay the costs, there is this difficulty or inconvenience of trying to park another car in the driveway. My neighbor opposite, they park 2 cars in the driveway. It is almost daily sideshows for me, every morning and evening, to watch how they maneuver the cars in and out. But another neighbor, who also park 2 cars inside, don't have to do any maneuvering at all. Each car is free to go in and out without bothering the other car. Why so? That is because his house is built with a longer front setback of more than 7.5m.

Just my two-cents.

Cheers!

Hi,

Moving the gate pillar is part of my current reconstruct. This is a real headache because normally the PUB meter is inside the pillar. Anyway, you will need to have to submit for special approvals and I did this through my architect and this process takes the longest time.

The rules are setback from the road and pavement and drains, and also your neighbour pillar and boundary. If everything ok, then start work and when done, you will need to get the relevant authorities to certify. For mine, these were LTA, NEA and PUB, and I was told that this period of certification can take 6 to 9 months because the 3 groups are not necessarily coordinated and have different requirements, and all 3 will not come together to certify as they are independent bodies.

In fact, I was told by my architect of all the troublesome matters in any A&A or reconstruct, the widening of the main gate is the top of the list.

Please note the above applies to my experience only. It may be different from others and I am not an architect or engineer.

Hi,

Moving the gate pillar is part of my current reconstruct. This is a real headache because normally the PUB meter is inside the pillar. Anyway, you will need to have to submit for special approvals and I did this through my architect and this process takes the longest time.

The rules are setback from the road and pavement and drains, and also your neighbour pillar and boundary. If everything ok, then start work and when done, you will need to get the relevant authorities to certify. For mine, these were LTA, NEA and PUB, and I was told that this period of certification can take 6 to 9 months because the 3 groups are not necessarily coordinated and have different requirements, and all 3 will not come together to certify as they are independent bodies.

In fact, I was told by my architect of all the troublesome matters in any A&A or reconstruct, the widening of the main gate is the top of the list.

Please note the above applies to my experience only. It may be different from others and I am not an architect or engineer.

Hi xienqi

Thank you very much for your kind reply..

Spoken to a few people and found out that actually it should take only 2-3months for all.. But, as my previous main con screwed up the whole project, we decided to abandon the moving of the gate..

I had the same problem too. Wanted to widen the gate, submitted to URA and BCA and was rejected. Yes, there's a certain setback which i also do not understand. BUt i guess, intermediate will face more restriction than semiD. We also removed the pillar that is holding the carporch roof and made a horizontal beam across instead.

My architect was very nice, told me that i cannot park 2 cars vertically into my carporch. 1st car must be slanted and 2nd car vertical. 3rd car will have to park on the driveway (with gate open), 4th car no choice squeeze with neigbors for street parking. Because of this, the gate can only be sliding and not swing open or even bi-folding