Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
AlisaWu

Yet Another Budget Reno >.<

If its not expensive to get those sliding insect frame, I think you can consider it ...

Quite worth the investment.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Wow, you are DIY-ing the insect screen?

Can share what's the material of the screen you purchased? :)

My 2 cents worth.

Magnetic strip types generally tend to peel off after a few years because have to pull the screen up and down. This happened for my parents' home, whole house have mosquito/insect screens with magnetic strips. I do not know how long have they had the screens but I think it has been quite a long while judging from the look of the screens.

If it's 1 section window with 2-3 window panels then, it will be one big screen fit to the window frame and you will have to peel back the screen and close the screen back whenever opening/closing windows. It is quite a hassle mostly and after a while, the whole screen comes down on you because the magnetic strips no longer hold in place due to frequent peeling back/closing the screen.

Have seen that there are sellers in malaysia selling sliding insect frames and folding insect screens with tracks or no tracks only so no idea whether singapore sells these as well. You may want to consider the alternatives as well.

Jiawen, the material is soft and similar to those fish net feel. Actual material term am not sure.

Bunbun, most insect screen that are ready made doesnt come cheap. Even the m'sia ones also quite ex. As i will be doing my whole house with 8 sets of windows, its cheaper to DIY since i Love to DIY :)

• Like 1

i agree with diy, will be much cheaper..

thanks for pointing out about the inbox, have cleared it, too many emails from contractors..

update:

have received my 1st shipment of taobao purchases, have left it in the house (locked in the bedroom) and will go open my presents later in the evening :)

20140318_211639.jpg

rainshower unwrapped.. haven't put it up yet, realized that HDB pipe too short, so need to go buy additional adapter to connect the pipes..

my personal bangla, hard at work fixing the hooks to mount the rainshower..

IMG-20140318-WA0000.jpg

tml will post the tb downlights, so thin that my contractor also surprised :) and well packed too.. :good:

Edited by AlisaWu

For aircon, we are looking at this, however, damage is erm... very damaging.....

aircon.png

Is this pricing reasonable?

I booked mine during gain city sale. After upgrade of insulation and wiring it was 3.9k

the problem is not with the closet, if you look closely, there is an open trunking and then another finished 1 above it..

so no idea what the unfinished open trunking is for.

my new place is at sengkang :)

my quotation from contractor has come up to 27k now :bleah: without electricals.. i'm thinking below 30k for the whole project..

even if we were to take out some stuff (only things we can take out is the full height shoe cabinet, the bar counter and the vanity for common toilet, will only amount to 2k+) find that might as well let him do it then to buy ourselves and fix..

shoe cabinet will definitely not be full height then..

I am at the estate next to yours!

20140318_211639.jpg

rainshower unwrapped.. haven't put it up yet, realized that HDB pipe too short, so need to go buy additional adapter to connect the pipes..

my personal bangla, hard at work fixing the hooks to mount the rainshower..

IMG-20140318-WA0000.jpg

tml will post the tb downlights, so thin that my contractor also surprised :) and well packed too.. :good:

Wow, your shower look really advanced high tech :yeah:

haha.. when i told my contractor i have a single piece de rainshower, he didn't know what to think, so he quoted me $300 for installation.. when i saw the shower only got 2 pipes to hook up, we decided to do ourselves then to let him make the $300..

20140329_170753.jpg

this is the finished product, lights for both toilets and storeroom are up, 24w led and superbright :good:

hacking at my place has also started..

IMG-20140331-WA0006.jpg

Edited by AlisaWu

• Like 1

Hi Alisa, did u purchase any false ceiling 12w downlights from Taobao?

I'm using Amcon as I find their rates are lower.

65daigou

does not have a bulk shipping price, therefore, the price is on the high side if you are going to buy taobao to furnish your entire house, I will only use them when I'm only buying a few small items and am too lazy to purchase it myself, which is rarely next to never.

by weight - 1st 500g at $4.7, subsequent 500g at $1.7

either volumetric or actual, whichever is higher.

hoyoyo

bulk shipping price is way more expensive then Amcon, however, if I were to buy small items, I will purchase myself, send to their warehouse and they will ship for me. this is my usual go to service provider when I buy taobao.

by weight - 1st kg at $6.8, subsequent 1kg at $4

might seem more expensive than 65daigou, but hoyoyo calculates strictly by weight, not volumetric.

my reason for using hoyoyo is that many of the items I usually get are light in weight.

by bulk - $300 per cubic meter

peeka

another expensive shipper, although bulk shipping cheaper than hoyoyo.

their strength is fast, which you will see reflected in their pricing as well. I always give plenty of time so don't see why I should pay a premium for that.

by weight - 1st 500g at $17, subsequent 500g at $3.5

by bulk - $250 per cubic meter

amcon

only does bulk, but at $110 per cubic meter, it's less than 1/2 the cost of peeka.

all conversions from rmb to sgd is at 5rmb to 1sgd for my easy calculation.

Hi Alisa,

Does Amcon has a website where i can buy from taobao?

I am not sure how to buy from taobao as I am not really conversant in chinese words.

Thanks!