Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
LionFlyer

Single 4Br Hdb Reno

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The gap got fixed last week by the contractor. The aircon was serviced today and my furniture will arrive on Friday. Milestone!

6S0qLc7l.jpg

Good work.

My advise is not to leave any gaps if there are others.

Today took leave because my dining table and tv console from Scanteak is coming and the mirrors for the bathroom are being installed. Here is the mirrors being installed by the guys from ITTIBAA GLAZING ENTERPRISE Pte Ltd (http://www.framesandglass.com)

The glue takes about 2 days to solidify and I was told not to remove the wooden support before then. The mirrors themselves were ordinary mirrors. I know some people say that after awhile, the glue will cause black patch on the mirror from behind. But in this case, there is a layer of laminate applied at the back of the mirrors specifically to prevent this "unwanted effect" from taking place.

Total damage for the 2 x mirrors was around $470, which I thought was reasonable give their size.

LKt7nvZl.jpg

Kj5ocDdl.jpg

8LXaRnzl.jpg

QWJndqel.jpg

Edited by LionFlyer

• Like 1

The dining table and TV console from Scanteak came around 4pm.

zfGs7Fdl.jpg

IgPJdxZl.jpg

GspeGddl.jpg

onVQ7ET.jpg

Unfortunately, I found a unrelated problem. As I thought the condition of the kitchen cabinets was ok, I had decided to leave them for the time being to save cost.

Instead, I notice this, which indicated that there is a woodworm infestation. Made quick call to Rentokil but they said that there is no effective way to removed them permanently and they advised me to redo the cabinets instead! Well, that's not going to happen so soon as that will blow my budget now. Probably do it in six months time or something.

In the meanwhile, I went down to Sengkang's HomeFix shop to get woodworm chemical and spray. My concern more of whether it will spread, especially when the worm larve become mature and transform into beetle then lay more eggs. Hope this DIY fix can solve the problem. (not really sure, if Rentokil say got no hope...what could DIY do?)

O0D56D1l.jpg

zSBc7cRl.jpg

Edited by LionFlyer

Just my view.. I think to be safe and prevent the spread, better to take out the entire kitchen cabinet asap.. the concern is if it spreads to the carpentry to other parts of the house accidentally (i.e, if we touch or it latch onto our clothing's and get transferred to other wooden furnitures around the house). Especially since you've spent to do up the new wardrobes and bought wooden furnitures..

Have gotten termites infestation in my house before, it must really be nipped at the bud before it spreads. We took no chance and threw our entire bed frame away once we found out. Then rentokil was called in immediately =x

Just my view.. I think to be safe and prevent the spread, better to take out the entire kitchen cabinet asap.. the concern is if it spreads to the carpentry to other parts of the house accidentally (i.e, if we touch or it latch onto our clothing's and get transferred to other wooden furnitures around the house). Especially since you've spent to do up the new wardrobes and bought wooden furnitures..

Have gotten termites infestation in my house before, it must really be nipped at the bud before it spreads. We took no chance and threw our entire bed frame away once we found out. Then rentokil was called in immediately =x

Thanks. I will probably wait until next month when I receive my bonus before replacing the cabinets. The damage to my wallet is really :( need a financial breather.

On the happy side, the major pieces of furniture and appliances has finally arrived!

My sofa from Hommage

bccvYtpl.jpg

Z0sdXn5l.jpg

My bedframe (looks like a skeleton now). Haven't bought the mattress.

nBuMJbIl.jpg

LG fridge (GR-M492GSH)

Selection criteria was basically how many ticks (must be 4) plus the yearly energy consumption. This model seems to be a good balance between energy consumption as well as volume space.

EcRicTEl.jpg

Samsung top loader (WA80F5S7, 8kg)

Deliberated between top loader and front loader, but recent back injury skewed my decision to top load. Realised I am become old man, better go for practical option. Also, noticed top loader have improved tremendously in the areas of water saving as well as fabric protection

fiFydM4l.jpg

Unfortunately, I found a unrelated problem. As I thought the condition of the kitchen cabinets was ok, I had decided to leave them for the time being to save cost.

Instead, I notice this, which indicated that there is a woodworm infestation. Made quick call to Rentokil but they said that there is no effective way to removed them permanently and they advised me to redo the cabinets instead! Well, that's not going to happen so soon as that will blow my budget now. Probably do it in six months time or something.

In the meanwhile, I went down to Sengkang's HomeFix shop to get woodworm chemical and spray. My concern more of whether it will spread, especially when the worm larve become mature and transform into beetle then lay more eggs. Hope this DIY fix can solve the problem. (not really sure, if Rentokil say got no hope...what could DIY do?)

Er....my ostrich head in sand mode talking...Is it only around that cabinet door area you took a pic of? Can remove that cabinet door and throw it out first and treat the remaining area with that spray you got?

Or is it not just on that door you took a picture of?

Worried for your nice scanteak table....

Being kaypoh, i researched on woodworms. Woodworms are pretty common in uk.

As in how do you get woodworms? Its either they fly in from the windows or commonly found in second hand furniture.

There are a few types woodworms but the common trait is that woodworms survive in moist wood. Some woodworms target plywood. So, there is a suggestion that using a dehumidifier actually works as it dries the wood. I am not sure if it really works. The last resort is to throw away the infected wood as woodworms may infest other furniture in your house.

Being kaypoh, i researched on woodworms. Woodworms are pretty common in uk.

As in how do you get woodworms? Its either they fly in from the windows or commonly found in second hand furniture.

There are a few types woodworms but the common trait is that woodworms survive in moist wood. Some woodworms target plywood. So, there is a suggestion that using a dehumidifier actually works as it dries the wood. I am not sure if it really works. The last resort is to throw away the infected wood as woodworms may infest other furniture in your house.

Er....my ostrich head in sand mode talking...Is it only around that cabinet door area you took a pic of? Can remove that cabinet door and throw it out first and treat the remaining area with that spray you got?

Or is it not just on that door you took a picture of?

Worried for your nice scanteak table....

Thanks all.

Koori, unfortunately, it is not the door which has the wood worm. As you can see from the photo, the droppings are actually deposited from the top, meaning the frame of the kitchen top. I am currently treating the area with a chemical and see how it goes.

I had this problem at my previous place. Also went to Homefix and bought all sorts of expensive chemicals. But unfortunately, the insects live deep inside the wood. I even drilled holes in the wood and painstakingly sprayed the chemical into and inside the wood. But no use. After a few days, you will see the pile of small eggs/pellets/whatever again. In the end, I had to change the entire cupboard.

I also thought they were wood worms or bore worms. But I was told by some pest control company that they are dry termites. I have no idea what they are. But I had the exact same problem as you, as far as I can tell from your pictures.