Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jagabee

A&a For Semi-D Or Other Options?

Hi all. I'm writing this post on behalf of my family/parents.

We are currently staying in a Semi-D that is around 3500-4000 sqft in size. It is around 20 years old and the house isn't functioning as well as it did before ie. the ceilings are leaking, some plugs are not working and we suspect there are leaks in the internal pipes.

We have consulted with architects and builders about doing an A&A for the house. It is a rather massive A&A, bordering onto reconstrunction. What we were planning to do is to add in another room (ensuite) and extending the back of the house. This will give us about 10% more in size. On top of that, we will be knocking down most of the walls. Please pardon me if I don't know the professional terms but from what I know, piling is required to strengthen the foundation.

We opened the project up for tender and received quotes with the cheapest at 800k. Of course, this excludes furniture.

We have also met other builders and we are very confused as to who to trust. We also find that it is a waste to discard all the sanitary ware that are still in very good condition. As you all may know, toilets do cost a bit and we have 6 of them now.

Exploring another option, we are wondering if it is more cost efficient to just rewire and change the internal pipes. I've checked through the forums but couldn't find a topic on this.

So I was wondering if anyone can share the process of rewiring and changing the pipes?

Also, what do you guys think about going through the A&A if it is not that necessary? Will the extra 10% in size really make a difference in future if we were to sell the place?

Last but not least, we welcome any recommendation of builders/contractors.

Thank you in advance! :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

i don't think it'll make too much of a difference for future buyer.

It only makes sense if the additional 10%, say an additional small bedroom or something, is of importance to you after your A&A.

It is strange that a 20-years old house would require a rewiring and replumbing. Maybe TS has been staying in it for 20 years but the house is actually older?

While I have no experience in rewiring or replumbing a house, the process should be not much different from wiring or plumbing a house, with the additional (but massive) chore of removing the old pipings and possibly some digging of the ground depending on where the electrical and water mains are connected to the house. Old wirings I supposed are easier to remove or pull.

To understand how a house is wired or plumbed, the best way is for TS to check out those houses that are undergoing reconstruction to see how they are done. (I have never been stopped checking out a construction site; ask the bangla nicely, and go only after 5 pm but before the sky turns dark. And go with the wife or girlfriend. But be very careful when walking around, check the ground and what is above your head before proceeding.)

Regarding whether the incremental investment of 800K plus would increase the value of the house, it would normally, but it would increase less than the 800K plus investment.

Just my 2-cents thought.

Cheers!

It is strange that a 20-years old house would require a rewiring and replumbing. Maybe TS has been staying in it for 20 years but the house is actually older?

While I have no experience in rewiring or replumbing a house, the process should be not much different from wiring or plumbing a house, with the additional (but massive) chore of removing the old pipings and possibly some digging of the ground depending on where the electrical and water mains are connected to the house. Old wirings I supposed are easier to remove or pull.

To understand how a house is wired or plumbed, the best way is for TS to check out those houses that are undergoing reconstruction to see how they are done. (I have never been stopped checking out a construction site; ask the bangla nicely, and go only after 5 pm but before the sky turns dark. And go with the wife or girlfriend. But be very careful when walking around, check the ground and what is above your head before proceeding.)

Regarding whether the incremental investment of 800K plus would increase the value of the house, it would normally, but it would increase less than the 800K plus investment.

Just my 2-cents thought.

Cheers!

Hi Lauer,

Thank you for your input! Actually I've stayed in this house for around 15 years, but the house itself is around 20.

Appreciate your comment about doing a recce at a construction site. Will pass the message to my parents as we have already decided not to go ahead with the A&A. We wouldn't need the extra space and the hassle would not be worth it.

However, we will probably be doing some hacking to the 3rd storey to even out the floor distribution between 2 ensuites.

Do you happen to have any contacts for contractors doing rewiring and replumbing?

Thank you once again!

Hello,

So, you are a 15-years old?

Never mind if you are younger or older than that, it is great for everyone in the family to be involved in a house improvement exercise. I always thought that it is very useful to know how a house is rebuilt or refurbished, the knowledge gained helps one to assess a property one is buying in future.

I thought trying to find a continuity from the A&A process would be the start, in looking for contractors to handle the rewiring and replumbing. In the tender exercise, the architect would have produced the as-is and to-be drawings for the builders invited to bid. Therefore, these builders would have a good knowledge of the existing house architecture, and have assessed the workscope involved in a rewiring and replumbing.

I suggest getting hold of the drawings (if you don't have them), the CAD files of the drawings, the contacts of the builders that participated from the architect. Approach the builders to see if they are willing to make proposals for the reduced workscope of rewiring and replumbing only, and take the next steps from there.

(A builder is just a main contractor fronting a house reconstruction; he uses sub-contractors to do a wiring and plumbing.)

Having said so, be aware that a rewiring and replumbing exercise of an existing living-in house would involve far more aspects. The existing wiring may be behind a built-in TV console, the existing plumbing is certainly behind the bathroom's wall tile, behind a kitchen shelving etc so accessing them would firstly destruct the console, the tiling, the shelve etc including the false ceiling and the utility column where the wiring and plumbing runs in-between storeys. So, be prepared to add ID cost as well (here the CAD files become useful.)

Therefore, be very careful that a rewiring and replumbing would actually resolve the problems you have today. I am still puzzled why a 20-years old house would require these? What kind of evidence has been given by the architect?

Just my 2-cents thought.

Cheers!

(Sorry, I don't give contacts no matter how good they are. After a while, you realized that for a house reconstruction or refurbishment, how well or how bad it turns out it has a lot to do with the owner's life journey or destiny. Moreover, a lot of builders are struggling to maintain standards because of higher mobility of supervisors and even the banglas, with so many building constructions taking place today in Singapore.)

Hi Lauer,

Nope, 24 this year.

Yes, I think you've brought up a very good point about using the drawings, especially since we have spent 30k on them. It's a good start but we are back to the issue of finding a good and most importantly responsible contractor.

Hmm, on the 3rd floor, there is actually water seepage on the floor, which means that water is surfacing or "floating" up to the floor. As the rooms are carpeted, we have no idea how bad the damage is. A contractor mentioned that it is because of leaking water pipes which are inside the walls. We have no idea how true that is and will be getting a second opinion.

We are also puzzled as to why this is happening to our house because our neighbours do not face this issue. And from what we have heard, the developer of our estate is rather known for its quality.

Understand your point about not sharing the contacts. Agree that owners do play a very important role.

Thank you once again! Your reply do make me wonder about the need for rewiring and replumbing.

The water could only be leaked through a pipe, and the pipe is either embedded in the wall or above the false ceiling below the slab or roof. So if the water is not dripping through the false ceiling, then it comes via the wall nearer to where it is ponding.

You could turn off the valve supplying water to this section of the house and see if the ponding stops. The valve should be accessible via a false ceiling opening.

(Take note that the pipe draining the air-cond's condensation could also the one leaking.)

Once the culprit is identified, just replace the pipe.

Good luck.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hi Mr Jaybee,

Hi Lauer,

Nope, 24 this year.

Yes, I think you've brought up a very good point about using the drawings, especially since we have spent 30k on them. It's a good start but we are back to the issue of finding a good and most importantly responsible contractor.

Hmm, on the 3rd floor, there is actually water seepage on the floor, which means that water is surfacing or "floating" up to the floor. As the rooms are carpeted, we have no idea how bad the damage is. A contractor mentioned that it is because of leaking water pipes which are inside the walls. We have no idea how true that is and will be getting a second opinion.

We are also puzzled as to why this is happening to our house because our neighbours do not face this issue. And from what we have heard, the developer of our estate is rather known for its quality.

Understand your point about not sharing the contacts. Agree that owners do play a very important role.

Thank you once again! Your reply do make me wonder about the need for rewiring and replumbing.

Hi Jagabee,

May you share what sort of rewiring and replumbing work you needed so that we can assist you?

Or you can contact us at arkbuilderspl@gmail.com

Regards,

Peter