Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Dwinsplace

Hacking Out A Home-Shaped Hole @ Cassia

does it make sense to use multi-standard sockets for the TV console like below ?

283320_pw_203866.jpg

I've never seen those switches before. Where are they from? It looks a tad odd but I can definitely see benefits to using those if you're the type that buys a lot of electronics from overseas.

Personally, I'm probably more inclined to use extension cables that have the multistandard function.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Got inspired by a friend who used crate pallets to make a coffee table! I've been searching high and low for a dining table that suits my very odd dimensions but now I'm thinking maybe I'll make one!

To that end, I trekked to Ikea to find loose timber that I could fashion into a table top and then maybe I'll get trestle legs or the currently fashionable 3 leg hairpins (3 leg for added strength) to use as table legs and voila! A super cheap and beautiful dining table. Plus bragging rights for having made it.

Unfortunately, ikea doesn't do loose timber anymore!

Then I looked around for furniture that I could cannibalise for parts to make the table top but all the sizes were off and because of the laminate-ish finish (they didn't have a solid wood plank) I realised I couldn't saw them down or glue them together seamlessly.

Hmm.. i need to find a lumber yard in singapore...

Or maybe I'll just use Second charm in the end. They say that they can mimic a table i liked in solid teak for a very reasonable price. I would lose bragging rights, but the table also won't fall apart during dinner... hmm decisions decisions

I've never seen those switches before. Where are they from? It looks a tad odd but I can definitely see benefits to using those if you're the type that buys a lot of electronics from overseas.

Personally, I'm probably more inclined to use extension cables that have the multistandard function.

It works for those 2 pins too, so no need for additional adapters. You can buy locally from the shops. legrand, MK have them.

Aiiiii... I am tempted to buy the sonos play bar plus sub woofer... Super nice ... $112 rebate off from the electrical fair at suntec ...

• Like 2

nice table! go for it!

Haha thanks but need to find the materials for it. And the space to work in... Singapore is really not suited for these DIY projects. But then again I guess that's why I will get to brag about it if I complete it. :P

• Like 1

Aiiiii... I am tempted to buy the sonos play bar plus sub woofer... Super nice ... $112 rebate off from the electrical fair at suntec ...

Hey Bianzi, i personally feel that you would get a similar sound quality with a cheaper samsung soundbar.

The Sonos is wireless of course and the interface could be attractive, but the full benefit will only come into play if you have several speakers placed all over the house; when you can play different songs at the same time all through your ipad.

If you're only planning on a bar and woofer, then my advice would be to save the money.

Thanks for the advice... I am thinking if upgrading to include play 1 in my room in the future... I will go down to Adelphi to check out and see if there are other choices :) btw not a Samsung fan :P

Hey Bianzi, i personally feel that you would get a similar sound quality with a cheaper samsung soundbar.

The Sonos is wireless of course and the interface could be attractive, but the full benefit will only come into play if you have several speakers placed all over the house; when you can play different songs at the same time all through your ipad.

If you're only planning on a bar and woofer, then my advice would be to save the money.

I succumbed to the temptation! I bought my subwoofer with the play bar! Free bridge... Super happy.

Thanks for the advice... I am thinking if upgrading to include play 1 in my room in the future... I will go down to Adelphi to check out and see if there are other choices :) btw not a Samsung fan :P

I succumbed to the temptation! I bought my subwoofer with the play bar! Free bridge... Super happy.

Congrats on your purchase! Why not get the play 1 at the same time? *poison poison* haha.

So I've spent a lot of time trying to source for table top materials.

Thought of using hardwood flooring, but most places don't sell flooring at such small amounts.

Thought of ikea but their worktops are odd sized and mostly coated with some sort of laminate which means i can't just join 2 planks or shave stuff down.

finally got 2 wood suppliers but the 1 quote I got so far wasn't promising. A walnut top of the size i want would cost me $790 cash and carry. Hair pin legs imported from overseas would cost about $220 including shipping. So the table would already cost about $1100 including odds and ends.

A fully completed and customised table by second charm would be $1500. soooo... most likely no more DIY. sigh. No fun.

Things have slowed down considerably.

We are waiting for the 3D renderings which will take about 2 weeks to finish. And everything seems to be pending that. I don't know how to purchase other items like sofa/ tv console etc without knowing the look via the 3D.

Also want a lighting plan from the ID so i know how many of which type of lights to buy.

Our ID seems a little busy at this point which is somewhat disappointing since I thought this was the period when we should be meeting a lot and trashing out details before we start work in mid june. I mean, once work starts then it will be too late right?

meh...

I wanted to get play 1.. $330 now... But I think I shd hold back first... As my sound bar budget exceeded by 100% !

Congrats on your purchase! Why not get the play 1 at the same time? *poison poison* haha.

I wanted to get play 1.. $330 now... But I think I shd hold back first... As my sound bar budget exceeded by 100% !

You could do the mature thing and wait. But its SOOO much more satisfying to get it all right now. haha