Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Dwinsplace

Hacking Out A Home-Shaped Hole @ Cassia

Think we got the same color of tiles for bathroom :good:

With the savings you got from TaoBao, you can change to a new keyboard ~ Heheh

Oh yeah?! Did you go for dark walls too?

Wah with all the money saved from lights can get new keyboard... new screen... *hai* but better hold back! Spending too much as it is.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Dwin, thanks for the updates. Aiya, thought that they have relaxed on that rule and wanted have a go at enlarging the bathroom. Haha.. Seem like all are going good on your reno! :good:

My ID always told me, Just apply! You never know what HDB will say. If you apply for 1 change and apply for 3, its all the same. No extra time or charge. So might as well give it a shot. You never know!

How did you design your gate to fit the lock nicely? Can take some pics of the back and front? Thanks!

As mentioned, I changed my gate. So the installation is a breeze.

When I change the gate, I have the very intention to have a digital lock.

Hence design wise, it was catered to install digital lock.

Main issue with HDB gate or conventional gate, is that there is no flat surface for the digital lock to sit on.

I do not have the picture of the digital lock on my gate but from below picture, you can understand that digital lock can sit accordingly anywhere on the gate.

IMG-20140703-WA0026.jpg

Bought an edison bulb to test if it was packed nicely and could survive the shipping and its BEAUTIFUL! They are sold for about $20-30 a bulb at lorgan's i think, while its only about $5 from TB including shipping!! My lighting options have just exploded to a whole new level of gorgeousness!! :sport-smiley-003:

Lastly is the kitchen tap that would go nicely with the industrial look. Very sturdy feel and of a good size. Having the pull hose will be very useful in cleaning the big sink we got. But will only know if its good when the plumber sets it up.

Edison bulbs are very nice. :good:

Use them for special occasion or gatherings else normal daily usage may be a tad to costly in the long run.

For this kitchen tap, I suggest to mount on the kitchen top due to the size, weight and the using method and not on the sink

The swinging and pulling acting will exert force on the mounting. Most stainless steel sink max thickness 1.2mm.

Such thickness may not be able to tolerate the daily use and abuse if you use a sink mount sink.

Also inform your ID/Contractor to take note of the height of the tap when planning for carpentry.

As mentioned, I changed my gate. So the installation is a breeze.

When I change the gate, I have the very intention to have a digital lock.

Hence design wise, it was catered to install digital lock.

Main issue with HDB gate or conventional gate, is that there is no flat surface for the digital lock to sit on.

I do not have the picture of the digital lock on my gate but from below picture, you can understand that digital lock can sit accordingly anywhere on the gate.

IMG-20140703-WA0026.jpg

Use them for special occasion or gatherings else normal daily usage may be a tad to costly in the long run.

For this kitchen tap, I suggest to mount on the kitchen top due to the size, weight and the using method and not on the sink

The swinging and pulling acting will exert force on the mounting. Most stainless steel sink max thickness 1.2mm.

Such thickness may not be able to tolerate the daily use and abuse if you use a sink mount sink.

Also inform your ID/Contractor to take note of the height of the tap when planning for carpentry.

As always, a great source of info OceanEleven!

Yeah I took note of the flat part of the gate. I was just trying to come up with a design that would eliminate the need for a steel bracket behind to cover the manual lock.

Noted on the tap! Good point and I'll mention it to my ID for sure thanks! My sink is the carysil gtranite but i'm sure it won't be strong enough to take it day in day out also.

These are the links that I've highlighted but pls note that I haven't actually bought them. So i don't know about quality etc. That said, if YOU buy them please let me know if they are good! :yamseng: haha.

First link is for the one pictured. Second is for my alternative.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.0.0.klxGG3&id=37412520216&ns=1#detail

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.0.0.HhTo1g&id=38688667010&ns=1#detail

ahaha before you replied i actually found another seller also =)

i will probably buy it towards the end of the month or next month, after we move in and feel the space! however peeka told me this needs basic assembly. omg. i dont know if i can assemble. shipping will cost estimated $70-90!

will let you know how the quality is.

thank you so much for the tips! so helpful :)

Parquet is nice. love the feel of real wood. But i'm really scared of the maintenance.

Haha it IS a hassle to get started on TB. But once you get started, it really isn't that bad. The service is good! I'm just being super cautious and manually telling everyone that I want them to package carefully cos it will be shipped overseas haha. YOU SHOULD DO IT!!

Haha Dwinsplace, yes I agree that maintenance of parquet will be a huge chore. For my parents' renovation 3 years ago, they spent a large chunk of their reno budget on parquet flooring for the indoors and long strips of chengal wood as outdoor decking and trellises for their garden as they really love wood. But the new maid has totally destroyed the indoor flooring with lots of long deep scratches and scuffs after less than 6 months with us and the weather has not been kind to their outdoor decking as well. Now I would say their flooring is a bit "rustic" looking lol They are planning to get someone to re-varnish and repair the wood at some point in time but it just means more $$$ spent on maintenance!

ahaha before you replied i actually found another seller also =)

i will probably buy it towards the end of the month or next month, after we move in and feel the space! however peeka told me this needs basic assembly. omg. i dont know if i can assemble. shipping will cost estimated $70-90!

will let you know how the quality is.

Looking at the structure, assembly shouldn't be too tough. Get the other half in on it? Prob just need a spanner, pliers and screwdriver. :)

Peeka gives shipping estimates? Oh thats useful! I've only gone with a rough estimate of 20% of the cost price as given by another renotalker. Ah well, even with $100 shipping, furniture is so expensive in singapore that it works out.

Haha Dwinsplace, yes I agree that maintenance of parquet will be a huge chore. For my parents' renovation 3 years ago, they spent a large chunk of their reno budget on parquet flooring for the indoors and long strips of chengal wood as outdoor decking and trellises for their garden as they really love wood. But the new maid has totally destroyed the indoor flooring with lots of long deep scratches and scuffs after less than 6 months with us and the weather has not been kind to their outdoor decking as well. Now I would say their flooring is a bit "rustic" looking lol They are planning to get someone to re-varnish and repair the wood at some point in time but it just means more $$$ spent on maintenance!

Actually the scratches and dents do add to the character of a wooden floor. I used to always like things shiny and new but maybe as I age myself, I've learnt to appreciate the mark of age in other things too. :P

Most of the tiling work is done now!

Kitchen, balcony and service balcony floors are done. Concrete screed tiles. Its all still really dusty at the moment so you can't see the effect of the tile but we love it.

5436260F-5B09-4E9F-8841-A99559A0221D_zps

E366D559-ADCC-45CB-BB21-631B3C15401B_zps

Toilets are mostly done too. Wall tiles are up and I saw that they evened out the floor and waterproofed it. Actually, I wanted to go while they were working on the place to make sure that they don't skimp on the amount of concrete used to paste up the wall tiles. Don't want hollow tiles. Didn't manage to in the end so I guess I will do a check after. The colour of the toilet walls is dark and sexy! Sadly it doesn't come out in pictures so I'll not post it at this point. Maybe once the lights are in.

Had a few issues with uneven walls and beams. A tiler told us that an entire wall was slanted and so he would have to make it straight so that we can fit in a door normally. And this was an external wall! I'm living in the leaning tower of pisa.... :jawdrop: Anyway, the tiler worked out a good solution in the end so all worked out well.

In this pic, we see the top frame of the toilet entrance. And I'm not sure if it comes out in the shot but the tiles looked slanted to me and it was only held up with masking tape! So I thought the tape sagged and it was badly done. Quietly took a spirit rule to it and it seems that the tiles were perfectly fine, but it was the beam itself that was screwy! Lol. Have more faith in my tilers now.

9A7C9DA8-6A31-41C8-ACC5-FC70DAD5391F_zps

One thing that has been bothering me is that I always find bits of food lying around the place after hours. I've told my ID from day 1 that I wanted that place free of food at the end of each day so that rats and roaches don't come. :curse: I've heard her communicate this to the contractors too but still I find stuff there. But don't want to scold them in case they don't care about my job anymore. Roar. :help: My parents told me that it's normal and that I should let the small stuff go. Either that or provide a bin for them and then clear it for them if they don't do it. They are probably right, but why am I paying them and then being their maid?? I already buy them coffee and cake lor.... :furious: *breeeeathe*

for mine, I find cigarette butts everywhere. in my bedroom and living room and kitchen even by the stairwell. grrr.

Looking at the structure, assembly shouldn't be too tough. Get the other half in on it? Prob just need a spanner, pliers and screwdriver. :)

Peeka gives shipping estimates? Oh thats useful! I've only gone with a rough estimate of 20% of the cost price as given by another renotalker. Ah well, even with $100 shipping, furniture is so expensive in singapore that it works out.

i saw someone ask on peeka facebook so i did the same. just give them the link and i think they can give an estimate. i think i will put on hold buying this rack as i still have other more essential pieces to get like study desk, book shelve, multi shelf storage cabinet etc. hahah. this rack might add up to $300 after shipping so it will have to wait. LOL.

hopefully wont be too hard to assemble! =)

and i had the same beam/wall not straight problem too. at first i tot my ID trying to smoke me also. but after that i realised it was true when he measured and showed me. as such some of our cabinet like sliding door for the wardrobe had to be adjusted for the slant of the walls.

i saw someone ask on peeka facebook so i did the same. just give them the link and i think they can give an estimate. i think i will put on hold buying this rack as i still have other more essential pieces to get like study desk, book shelve, multi shelf storage cabinet etc. hahah. this rack might add up to $300 after shipping so it will have to wait. LOL.

hopefully wont be too hard to assemble! =)

and i had the same beam/wall not straight problem too. at first i tot my ID trying to smoke me also. but after that i realised it was true when he measured and showed me. as such some of our cabinet like sliding door for the wardrobe had to be adjusted for the slant of the walls.

Haha I don't actually know the shipping costs of my purchases. For all i know it might be astounding and then I won't save money at all! :dunno: Can only cross fingers and pray.

Yeah I hope the built in cabinetry can be precise enough to accomodate the slants in the wall. I won't want to see a gap at the back of the cabinet.