Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Dwinsplace

Hacking Out A Home-Shaped Hole @ Cassia

wah... so ex! but then again... at least yours is solid solid... PD gives a plastic plastic feel leh.. but i like they way they fold the door... and slide it to the side... very neat..

Yeah I agree that the fold and slide makes it very neat. But I didn't want the hassle and the slightly plastic feel as you mentioned. :) Pros and cons for both la. JUST NEED A BIGGER HOUSE! Lol

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Went down today with the Mrs and saw the cleaners doing our first wash. Which means we're halfway through!

And we saw that my beloved brick wall was finally all the way done! Oh it's perfect in its imperfection! *cue John legend song*

The grouting is a little uneven, colours are uneven. Certain bricks have leftover plaster on them and certain bricks are thicker than the others or thinner than the others and so you see a lot of texture in the wall. Absolutely LOVE it. :D

95B11C3F-74FE-4BDE-8718-C220ECD247AF_zps

49BD1098-1975-4459-96C0-107BB4A62066_zps

65B62A58-C2F5-4E9C-8143-12AFB5A29579_zps

• Like 2

That's insanely awesome dude! I bet that brick feature wall is waaay expensive! LOL!

thanks for the compliment! Not sure how it compares to other brick walls in terms of price but it's the effect we wanted so that makes it worth it. :)

Paint is up! Most of it anyway. We went with 2 shades of grey. A lighter shade as a foundation and a darker one for accents. 2 shades also would help to keep a greater sense of unity through the house and keep it simpler. As it is, we already have lots of texture elements in our brick walls, steel walls, and laminates.

ID proposed that we move away from the normal white ceilings and have that in the light grey as well to make the ceiling more a part of the whole design, which i thought was a great idea.

These were the 2 shades proposed by the ID. Granite grey and Noble grey

noble-granitegrey_zpsf049400c.jpg

We were afraid that the lighter shade would be too close to our brick wall and concrete tiles. So in the end we opted to swap out Granite grey for Veil grey. Or what my wife irritatingly pronounces as 'veal' grey (just to bug me). Here's what it looks like. We felt that the lighter tone would add more contrast and keep the place looking a bit less oppressive.

noble-veilgrey_zps7c95e8f0.jpg

And HERE is what it looks like on the walls!

34517EAA-A5CC-441C-B34A-4445D117B967_zps

6E4ABCED-8A68-4C03-9C97-886E1B03E37E_zps

8BCA36DD-E2F7-4087-BC8C-0573EFEB38BF_zps

In the photos, the light grey looks quite white but in real life its just dark enough for you to tell that its a grey. :) Which is perfect! This is just the first coat though so you can still see some brush marks.

Apparently the noble grey was tough to apply. We requested for weather seal paint for the kitchen and outdoor balcony areas. The paint with weather seal mixed in is apparently glossier so they had to work quite a few coats to get it matte for me. It's not done yet but I'm loving the colours.

And since its so pretty, we decided on the fly to make the main door the same Noble grey to contrast the black scissor gate. Apparently the original black paint was already ordered so I'm thankful that my ID just agreed to the last minute change without batting an eyelid. She's really been a gem to work with so far!

there was a slight hiccup with the cabinetry. The slate laminate that we picked apparently ran out of stock. Well, they had enough stock for half the job but will have to wait till the 20th of Aug for the new stock to complete the rest of the work. So we opted to do the kitchen/ living and balcony areas first as that needed cabinetry to be up so that kompacplus could do their measurements and cost it. I was a little surprised to find out that Kompac was not a full board of material like their samples. Instead, its a 3mm thick laminate like material that goes on top of the surfaces. Still, i guess that helps keep the lines thin and pretty.

The first batch of carpentry came in today and I gotta say that it looks pretty awesome.

Our slate laminate to be matched with the walnut brown internal polygon. This will be for most of the cabinetry save the kitchen counters. which will be in.....

B423171D-B642-4A35-A1B2-5A8C89ACAC82_zps

This rough grey brown wood laminate with a lot of texture (small tile in pic) and we have the light brown internal polygon to match.

4F57DC32-3BCE-45BE-AE3B-0F291CB53A15_zps

The cabinets have landed! On the (lift) landing!

A56CE4FA-CDA9-4376-BDDA-42E3CB20EA1F_zps

This is our shoe cabinet door to showcase the slate laminate! Love the slits at the top for ventilation.

F59AF34D-1A25-48A8-82F6-EC58C7991DD4_zps

To clarify I called it velli ! Not veal .

I love our pod :) happiness

Paint is up! Most of it anyway. We went with 2 shades of grey. A lighter shade as a foundation and a darker one for accents. 2 shades also would help to keep a greater sense of unity through the house and keep it simpler. As it is, we already have lots of texture elements in our brick walls, steel walls, and laminates.

ID proposed that we move away from the normal white ceilings and have that in the light grey as well to make the ceiling more a part of the whole design, which i thought was a great idea.

These were the 2 shades proposed by the ID. Granite grey and Noble grey

noble-granitegrey_zpsf049400c.jpg

We were afraid that the lighter shade would be too close to our brick wall and concrete tiles. So in the end we opted to swap out Granite grey for Veil grey. Or what my wife irritatingly pronounces as 'veal' grey (just to bug me). Here's what it looks like. We felt that the lighter tone would add more contrast and keep the place looking a bit less oppressive.

noble-veilgrey_zps7c95e8f0.jpg

And HERE is what it looks like on the walls!

34517EAA-A5CC-441C-B34A-4445D117B967_zps

6E4ABCED-8A68-4C03-9C97-886E1B03E37E_zps

8BCA36DD-E2F7-4087-BC8C-0573EFEB38BF_zps

In the photos, the light grey looks quite white but in real life its just dark enough for you to tell that its a grey. :) Which is perfect! This is just the first coat though so you can still see some brush marks.

Apparently the noble grey was tough to apply. We requested for weather seal paint for the kitchen and outdoor balcony areas. The paint with weather seal mixed in is apparently glossier so they had to work quite a few coats to get it matte for me. It's not done yet but I'm loving the colours.

And since its so pretty, we decided on the fly to make the main door the same Noble grey to contrast the black scissor gate. Apparently the original black paint was already ordered so I'm thankful that my ID just agreed to the last minute change without batting an eyelid. She's really been a gem to work with so far!

Previously I complained about HDB beams and stuff taking up space and this is what i mean.

434C84A7-777B-4EB6-852E-78DA7B5DFC04_zps

In this photo you can see in the left compartment, there is a box up to make room for the beam. This area is for me to display/keep my motorcycle helmets and so we had to deepen the entire compartment for it.

Also, on the top right hand corner you can see a compartment there? Close up it looks like this:

5DDB3D68-85EA-4A0F-8A01-5229AE937D02_zps

It was supposed to have been extra storage space but now with how close the beam is, they simply cannot fit a closet door. So in the end that will be closed up as dead space.

Same thing for the compartment on the other side of this beam.

Also, the carpenter says that cabinetry is rarely right up against the wall due to trunking and what not. So they will generally leave an inch or so gap. So for all of you who are doing exact measurements and count your cabinetry right from the wall? It probably won't be the case.

Our laundry system is done! We got it from Ezzi Living and we are quite pleased with the service/ workmanship. We got the tiered system so that we could hang a pole at a time. Easier to maneouvre around a single pole than to have the whole thing come down and take up all the space. We also thought it would allow us to hang the clothes at different heights and enhance airflow and drying. :dunno:

This was of course run past the wifey and she had final say on what to pick. She's happy with this, so I'm happy with this. :good:

EC3BFFCF-74FB-4E1C-9D8B-3633487A1B56_zps

Did anyone else get this flooring? Its supposed to be High end Resilient Vinyl but I've never seen this brand before. Is it good?

25963D94-37E1-480C-BDF4-AC0AB923FCFE_zps

And apparently the flooring guys will be laying this silver stuff below the vinyl tiles? Never heard of that too. I'm not really complaining cos it looks kinda cool. But i just dont know what it is. :P

C3883F12-50DD-4C71-A1AE-FEC2FBCC4573_zps

I think its the same brand of flooring as me.

The silver thing is a foam type material which it is place below the Vinyl to prevent unevenness if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

Really like the grey brick wall a lot! Nice amount of texture

Went down today with the Mrs and saw the cleaners doing our first wash. Which means we're halfway through!

And we saw that my beloved brick wall was finally all the way done! Oh it's perfect in its imperfection! *cue John legend song*

The grouting is a little uneven, colours are uneven. Certain bricks have leftover plaster on them and certain bricks are thicker than the others or thinner than the others and so you see a lot of texture in the wall. Absolutely LOVE it. :D

95B11C3F-74FE-4BDE-8718-C220ECD247AF_zps

49BD1098-1975-4459-96C0-107BB4A62066_zps

65B62A58-C2F5-4E9C-8143-12AFB5A29579_zps

After much hemming and hawing, we have finally decided on a way to secure our house! As mentioned before, the mrs has agreed to give me a digital lock (so that I don't need to fuss with keys) and we will be putting it on the main gate.

This is the lock of choice! the Yale YDR323G. The picture isn't really accurate. This is the normal door version the YDR323. The YDR323G has the manual unlock switch at the back panel permanently disabled so that people can't reach through the gaps in your gate and just let themselves in. The lock is released on the inside via a remote control.

yale+YDG313_5.jpg

We picked this lock for 2 reasons. Firstly, it could take RFID card and password. But more importantly, the disabled back panel meant that we could use this gate!

Scissorgate_zps86a6e26d.jpg

we LOOOOVE this gate. Old school yet its a swing door so still quiet and functional. :jammin:

We got dr doors to do it and minus a rather unhelpful sales lady, the person sent on site to measure and advise me on the gate was very good. Their quote for a gate+digital lock was also the best that we managed to find. Adding a small customization on the gate also. Just a small metal plate on the fixed panel side of the gate where I can paint on our door numbers. The mrs is VERY VERY worried that I'll screw it up hahaha. A husband who loves to DIY in a very precious and very expensive home is beginning to scare her. :yamseng: