Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Dwinsplace

Hacking Out A Home-Shaped Hole @ Cassia

A lot has been happening.

Today all the toilet accessories got installed. So the toilets are pretty much complete! I didn't take any pics cos they were still installing when i left.

Did anyone else have any problems finding a spot for the toilet roll holder?? On the wall next to the WC makes you have to reach ard awkwardly. On the wall in front is just silly. If you have a wall to the side of your toilet bowl then that would be ideal but it's rarely the case. haha. Small issues that I found amusing that we don't really consider.

Same here.. i really hate the fact of having to reach backwards for the toilet paper... i haven buy my toilet roll holder and the towel bar and hook also...

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Love the dungeon design! It is like some fantasy coming into life! Haa

Yeah everytime we show people pictures they keep asking where we keep the handcuffs and chains. Lol.

I tell them that's in the bedside table. :P

Went to the house over the weekend to mark out rectification areas in the toilet since that area is pretty much done. Wanted to save a bit of time cos the delays have been building up a bit with the lack of laminates and a few other issues.

Anyway, after scouring each and every inch with my iPhone torch, I'm happy to say that I've only found minor problems! Mostly just little holes in the grouting that I wanted them to top up,. Could have been air bubbles or just not quite enough. I felt a bit bad marking out some of the defects cos the holes were quite small. But it's big enough for an ant to crawl out of and I don't want bugs to have ANY access if I can help it.

Also asked ID to make the grouting in the shower area as close to the level of th tile as possible. This means less depth for mould to grow in and easier to wipe off with a cloth.

During the installation of the toilet roll holder, the guy drilled at the wrong place and so one tile is damaged but ID said it will be retiled and the accessories refitted to make good. :)

Water pressure if great too! The common toilet has much stronger pressure than the master though. Probably cos the water has to run through the common to get to the master. Still both are good! I didn't manage to try the gas heater yet so I'll review that next time.

Unfortunately, the water pools a little bit in the common shower. Well it drains, but there is still about 1.5mm of water left on top that doesn't drain away. Is this common? Should I be satisfied with that? I don't want stagnant water cos that just encourages mould. I've asked the ID to look at it to see if it's acceptable. See what she says.

Aircon fan coils will be installed tomorrow! Can't wait to see it all. Another thing to tick off the list!

We are planning to use vinyl decals to put a few words on our glass toilet/yard doors.

Has anyone done this before? Any companies to recommend? We need design, print and cut, and maybe even installation if the cost is low.

I thought taobao have a lot? Or u can try the atas hipvan or esty... I just bought one wall decal from hipvan...

I also thinking of doing a word decal for my kitchen glass panel... But trying to find one .. Taobao I think I give up.. Cos too mafan to order

We are planning to use vinyl decals to put a few words on our glass toilet/yard doors.

Has anyone done this before? Any companies to recommend? We need design, print and cut, and maybe even installation if the cost is low.

Edited by bianzi

the toilet roll placement was one headache for us too.. wanted to install at the shower glass door (beside the WC) but scared it drop or spoil the look of the glass door.. behind the toilet door was too much of a reach LOL.. in the end we settled for in between the WC and the basin (slightly higher so it won't splash onto the paper)... what some of my neighbours did was to ask the ID to open a hole at the side of the vanity cabinet to put the roll in. so u have slightly less space inside the cabinet but ur toilet roll is hidden and easily accessed.

for my MBR toilet the water also slides backwards, rather than towards the drainage, when i spray water over the tiles... and the corners at the shower area need to be cleaned more regularly as water and soap tends to remain there.. anyway use Mr Muscle anti-mold spray to clean and it works wonders!! esp if you face this red stain (some bacteria) in your toilet area later... http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/news/newsreleases/2010/aug-9-2010/red-substance-in-tub-toilet-is-bacteria

interested to see ur toilet pics!!

I thought taobao have a lot? Or u can try the atas hipvan or esty... I just bought one wall decal from hipvan...

I also thinking of doing a word decal for my kitchen glass panel... But trying to find one .. Taobao I think I give up.. Cos too mafan to order

Hmm.. Have a lot but I'm looking for simple text and I suspect the text I'm looking for might be difficult to find. Quite specific about font and size since it's to fit on the limited space of the toilet door and not a wall per say. Most likely will find a shop to custom it and see if they do installation too.

Will let you know if the product/ cost is good! Then you can do for your kitchen too. All the shops I found in singapore do letters as well as graphics.

the toilet roll placement was one headache for us too.. wanted to install at the shower glass door (beside the WC) but scared it drop or spoil the look of the glass door.. behind the toilet door was too much of a reach LOL.. in the end we settled for in between the WC and the basin (slightly higher so it won't splash onto the paper)... what some of my neighbours did was to ask the ID to open a hole at the side of the vanity cabinet to put the roll in. so u have slightly less space inside the cabinet but ur toilet roll is hidden and easily accessed.

for my MBR toilet the water also slides backwards, rather than towards the drainage, when i spray water over the tiles... and the corners at the shower area need to be cleaned more regularly as water and soap tends to remain there.. anyway use Mr Muscle anti-mold spray to clean and it works wonders!! esp if you face this red stain (some bacteria) in your toilet area later... http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/news/newsreleases/2010/aug-9-2010/red-substance-in-tub-toilet-is-bacteria

interested to see ur toilet pics!!

Opening a hole in the vanity is a good idea, but why not just mount it on the side of the vanity? I only had a vanity-ish ledge in one toilet and thats where I put it.

You accepted the water that slides backwards? That would irritate the crap out of me! I personally would have them redo the thing but I'm anal. Haha my wife swears by Mr Muscle too but she says that anything that works that well has to be **** toxic so she wears gloves. :D

Will post pics soon! The difficulty of dark walled toilets is that its not as photogenic, esp on a phone camera which doesn't capture the light as well. (All excuses for my lousy camera skills)

Ok, here are some pics of my toilets as requested. But pardon the lousy photography. I'm really quite bad at this.

Common Toilet:

30B13CCB-182C-4F80-BD28-D0F4203B3276_zps

91E55F43-4B3B-4103-8C61-5F040CCC29E3_zps

See that masking tape in the second shot between the hand towel hanger and the toilet roll? Thats where they drilled wrongly. So replacing that tile will affect both accessories and they will have to be remounted. Love the stark contrast of the white porcelain with the dark tiles.

Master Toilet:

883C8E61-B2ED-4592-8C60-1D1CE06CB18F_zps

Thankful that I have a vanity ledge on which i could mount the toilet roll! :D And I simply love the bare bulb effect. Will most likely change the bulb to a normal LED bulb so its more energy efficient though. We use the toilet too much for it to be edison.

15D43947-FA46-452A-B796-034CBC2C328F_zps

My rain shower!

WC, sinks and taps were from Heritage. Price wise extremely competitive. Great service from knowledgeable staff. Didn't have any issues with delivery too. Highly recommended.

Shower items for both toilets were from Wasser bath. Products were good although price is somewhat higher than heritage. Service was a bit pushy though and could see she had a black face when we didn't get everything from her. So minus points. Still, service aside, everything else with them was fine. :)

• Like 1

Aircon fancoils were installed today! Quite happy with the results.

Master bedroom: We will see a little bit of trunking here but not much.

8434941B-A84A-4B98-9EEB-334B9B20BC19_zps

Study room: No trunking cos its back to back with the master bedroom.

25F6B03F-C221-4C06-8BC8-95E10148307C_zps

Living: My MASSIVE 24000 BTU unit. Cost we $200 more but we needed it since our house is so open. Open kitchen, dining, living, corridor to the rooms and even the WIW has no door. So... hope it's enough! :dunno:

695BCA7F-0DD3-4C9C-974B-7D91EF05E8D8_zps

C8C92C71-9498-480D-8907-1872E792C7CA_zps

So big that you can see it hang below the beam in the last shot. Well, that's mainly cos of the piping so no choice la. Have to box it up. Consequently, the box up with cover about 3 inches of my steel wall area but its ok. Just a small section. All these little issues that you can't predict or plan for. Sigh.

OH! I noticed that the outdoor compressor, WAS NOT BOLTED IN PLACE!! I quickly called the ID cos i didn't want to be sued for killer litter!! :no:

But when the air con guy called me, it seems that its the norm not to bolt it in. He says you can, but every time you do maintenance, they will have to undo the bolt and they will charge you extra cos it's not easy to do. So far he has never had an issue with it and says that most people do it this way.

True?

Anyway, we are leaving it as it is for now. But I can say that I'm not going to walk under air con compressors anymore. :P

Edited by Dwinsplace

• Like 1

Actually looking at the position of the toilet paper holder at the master bedroom.. Seemed like u will be getting good triceps.. :P u need to place it more front to reach out comfortably ... Haha

Actually looking at the position of the toilet paper holder at the master bedroom.. Seemed like u will be getting good triceps.. :P u need to place it more front to reach out comfortably ... Haha

It's actually quite comfortable. And further out would hamper the use of the sink. Might get wet from sink also.

The common toilet is the jialat one. Reach all the way back

Exciting ., tonight I decided to go to the house to see the lights for the night time.. Spot led lights seemed to be weird... Turns super hot. I thought LED suppose to be cool on the front end?