Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Battle, check your pm.

wroomwroom, this might not be true if you did not manage to engage the real "contractors." Nowadays, alot of the so-called contractor also charge about the same as what a reasonable id would charged. One must really have the necessary contact or know the "market/cost price", if not will be tio makan GAO GAO by the so called contractors and having to deal with many parties especially when there are damages on the renovation. Some contractors also "outsource" some of their works to other parties, so the cost-saving parts is only possible if you could get a "honest" contractor or the working party. Even for my reno, i think it could still be cheaper by at least another 15%, if i manage to get the contractor. (but i think very hard)

Time for my renovation updates.

I was initially disappointed :( when i make a surprise visit to the flat as there seem to be no "visible" changes in the flat but somehow the flooring is abit dusty and the flat is "stuffy." Just as i was about to leave feeling disappointed, i suddenly had the thought to "clean" the flooring. After i was done, i was :) .

Could anyone notice the difference :sport-smiley-004: ? Take a look at the image below and compare it with the next image.

Original condition at the start of the reno.

gallery_59794_363_268883.jpg

gallery_59794_10_85857.jpg

Yes, yes, did you notice that there is a aluminium windows grilles and sliding window now. Sliding horizontal window grilles and sliding windows. I then realized that no wonder my flat is so stuffy and the flooring is abit dusty , it must be during the installation of the sliding windows and window grills, they closed all the windows. No wonder i am feeling stuffy as the entire flat has been 'boxed up.'

The grilles for the living room

gallery_59794_10_99390.jpg

Was amazed when i could open up the windows grilles this way, this could definitely make general cleaning of the windows much easier.

Room grillesgallery_59794_10_89938.jpg

From this picture, it look as if there is no grilles.

gallery_59794_10_64678.jpg

Lastly, presenting the main bedroom windows grilles

gallery_59794_10_88270.jpg

Did you manage to observe that the grilles is different :)

Lastly, did a check with id and he informed that all the carpentry items will be delivered on next week and requested that i get ready all the additional small small items that required installation. Looks like my renovation journey is really ending soon. Posting in the reno t-chat sometimes is pretty troublesome, have to upload pictures to the gallery and each post is limited to 6 images.

Renovation journey so far is still pretty smooth-sailing, keeping my finger-crossed till the carpentry works is delivered next week.

Hi Look around,

Appreciate your post on your renovation work done , Would you mind to share your contractor contact ?

Thanks .

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Apologies to all those who ask for the id contacts, i am really pretty busy on weekdays and everytime i login, i am swarm by the sheer number of the renovator requests. I would probably try to reply during the weekend.

Anyway back to the reno, after receiving a text from the id, all the pre-fab carpentry items have arrived and they will able to resume work in my flat after about 2 weeks of not much action in the flat.

I went down to the flat to snap a few pics despite working till late night. Here are some of the carpentry photos for sharing. ( A picture speak a thousand of words.)

1)Customized daybed carpentry come with storage cabinet - $1.5k

->This is one of the 'want' items in my renovation, really curious how the end product will turn out as this feature will take up a fair bit of space in my living room.

gallery_59794_10_59237.jpg

2)36ft color kitchen cabinet - $5k est

-> Seems like another 'want' item after i added in another 7 ft of cabinet , guess my small kitchen would be come even small after adding 36 ft of cabinet. Hopefully this wouldn't cause my kitchen to be cluttered with "useless items" in the future due to the sheer number of storage.

gallery_59794_10_84005.jpg

3)6ft Customized wardrobe, abit "regret"' selecting this laminates to be different from the conventional woody and grainy wardrobe hopefully the end result will be good.

gallery_59794_10_62190.jpg

4)Pre-fab carpentry wardrobe, part of the 6 ft cabinet (Bottom half)gallery_59794_10_62837.jpg

5)The alumminium door for the wardrobe.

The sliding door is pretty heavy and is wrapped up, so i didn't manage to snap a picture of the design. ( Anyway i think i more or less also couldn't remember the exact design of the sliding i chose, although i could still recall there is a laminate finishing in the centre)

gallery_59794_10_183234.jpg

6)Could not really remember if this is my 3ft customized wardrobe as i believe the final design of the wardrobe is in another color

- $650

gallery_59794_10_93942.jpg

It is getting pretty late, sharing of the pre-fab carpentry pics will stop for today, will upload the 2nd batch of picture when i have the time.

adviseseeker, Sunnday, Gabelle,Ee, missyliz18

check your inbox guys/gals, i have sent you a PM.

Leesayyeo,

For the window grilles, i did not had anything in mind, i just tell the ID i wanted to do the windows grilles for the entire 4-room flat(900+) and a sliding aluminium windows in the kitchen(less 700), you can analyze the quote i have shared. For the design of the grilles, i I only got to see the end product. I think maybe it would be cheaper if you can get quote from direct window contractor.

Anyway, the id told me that the windows grilles that could open inwards is not as durable as the sliding one.

Edited by lookaround

Apologies for the lack of update for this reno blog, was getting really busy and trying to find the remaining 'jigsaw' to complete the renovation and my life is getting really 'packed.'

These are some 'backdated' renovation updates which i am supposed to share last week, anyway the carpentry works for my flat have more or less completed, less the minor details such as the intricate laminates details.

1)My 1.5k daybed feature for relaxing and storage feature.

gallery_59794_10_27936.jpg

2) My $700 Suspended storage cabinet frame

gallery_59794_10_27297.jpg

3)36 ft kitchen cabinet (Left view)

gallery_59794_10_430.jpg

4) Right side of the 36 ft kitchen cabinet

gallery_59794_10_41932.jpg

5)6 ft Aluminium sliding window wardrobe

gallery_59794_10_19053.jpg

6) 3 ft shoe cabinet - $650

gallery_59794_10_66948.jpg

Quality of the carpentry works seems decent so far.I am now moving to the next phase of the renovation to settle the city gas installation, plumber with the ID.

Currently, i am trying to source for a windows film( perhaps, i might diy?) and storeman rack contractor that could provide me with good quality materials and reasonable pricing. Stay tune on the next post where i will share the completed carpentry works. :notti:

Posting some completed backdated renovation updates.

(Date on 14/6/14 - Sat)

1)My 6 ft wardrobe

- 90% completed, wardrobe is completed but the carpenter man forgot about the laminates design in the middle of my aluminium door.

-Will post a special 'feature' in the wardrobe

- :unsure: Chose the wrong laminates after trying to be too different from the rest of the 'woody grain' wardrobe.

- Argh...i also did not choose 2 seperate laminates which the id offered to create a unique contrast.

gallery_59794_10_20760.jpg

2)MBR Toilet suspended storage cabinet

gallery_59794_10_208343.jpg

2) Internal of the suspended storage cabinet

-Yes, the mirror is 1-sided.

-special highlight is the board can be easily detachable from the cabinet to create a 'taller' space :)

gallery_59794_10_102055.jpg

3)Living room daybed

- I would say this is about 70% completed

[20%]- The ID or either the carpenter man forgot about laminates lining on the dayend, so the id say they will re-do the laminates linings. (To create a contrast like the 3-d drawings). ;)

[10%]- Pending the delivery of the custom-cushion from the carpenter to make this feature 100%. The cushion will be able to slot into the sliding gap of the daybed when not in-use

gallery_59794_10_83770.jpg

4) My costly Partitioned wall and shoe cabinet. ( will post about the shoe cabinet)

90% completed, everything is functional

- but somehow either the id or either the carpenter man forgot about the cabinet lining.

- So the id say they will do the lining of the cabinets for us to create the 3d contrast which he proposed. :notti:

gallery_59794_10_85733.jpg

Conclusion: If i have a choice again on this part of the reno, i would have propose a L-shaped custom made shoe cabinet or a shoe cabinet plus a australian system sliding door trap to act as a partition.

Now... let move on to the most expensive, interesting and striking component of my reno.

:sport-smiley-004:

:wub:

A picture speaks a thousands words.

6)Kitchen cabinet post (Total of 36ft)

-100% Carpentry works completed with peary white surface top.(did not chose a bombastic colored surface top this time round and stick to the safe peary white top)

-outstanding portion of plumbing works which will be settled upon the meetup with plumbing team.

gallery_59794_10_117266.jpg

- due to a limitation of 6 images per post, i will continue the next half of the kitchen in the next post.

• Like 1

Completed works on 14/6/14. :good:

Continuation of the kitchen post

6)Kitchen cabinet.

-Opposite side of the kitchen cabinet

was pondering if i should have ask the id to plan for a built-in oven/toaster (although we dun really cook).

gallery_59794_10_72362.jpg

I was wondering how can i check/verify that the workmanship of the kitchen cabinet carpentry is good ?

Anyone have any ideas on it? Because on the surface as i looked on , everything seemed ok, soft-close also work, door closed softly except that i have yet to try to slammed the kitchen cabinet with great force? :notti:

2) A Full view of the kitchen works.

- The kitchen is abit dimmed in this picture, i am at the spot where there is no light, follow on to the next image to see the 'lighted' kitchen.

gallery_59794_10_4790.jpg

3)Kitchen cabinet pictures

the kitchen does look brighter and cheers one up.

- due to some the angle i am standing, i am not able to present the full glory of the cabinets such as the frosted glass cabinets.

gallery_59794_10_142974.jpg

:idea: :idea: :idea:

Look like the id and his carpenter team has manage to cleared carpentry work challenge as well !

Did not spot any significant defects when i visited.

I was wondering how did other renotalkers identify such defects, is it just visible defects or do they have a methodology to do so ? Can someone share it with me so that i can use this methodology to access the carpentry works done since everything seemed pretty good and decent to me on the surface ?

Lastly, if you have noticed the wordings, i have changed the budget's reno text to reasonable's reno. (Will explain deeper in the next post again). That's all for today.

Apologies if i did not respond to your pm/queries ASAP.

• Like 1

Lookaround, nice cheerful kitchen...pls pm me your id name/ contact. thk u

TengLiJun, i think i have send you the PM before, here you go again.

Hhaha cool! First time i saw a multi colored kitchen cabinet.

May i kniw who's your Interior Designer? Thanks

valv3h, have send you a PM.

36 feet kitchen cabinet for 5k doesn't sound like a reasonable contractor price at all..does it include quartz or granite work top?

This is a estimated figure.

Esimated 5k kitchen cabinet = 36ft kitchen cabinet at $100 pfr + 3S solid surface top + the wet works for the kitchen cabinet base ?

You can view my breakdown over here to have a clearer picture.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/65029-reasonable-quote-any-missing-details/

PTopaz, why is it not reasonable ? :P

At least i wasn't charge pfr at $120-$180.

TBH, the cheapest i saw for kitchen cabinet is about $80 or $88 pfr in a leaflet near my BTO unit, i was also poached by a contractor uncle camping at my BTO a few times at this price when i visit my unit. If anything cheaper then that, i think one really have to source out the real 'direct' contractors or contractors from MY who might able to provide between $60pfr. (This is just a guess.).

Hi lookaround, could you pm me ur ID? Impressed by ur kitchen colours, I love mine to be such lively colours too!

Velvel, pm send.

will try to upload and post update of the completed plumbing works.