Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
raymondgoh

Our Budget Reno At Ah

Hi all, decided to start a T Blog to document the process of a really budget renovation at Anchorvale Horizon.

unnamed_zps99740d57.jpg

ID/Contractor Selection
Our journey like all others started with visiting contractor and IDs. In total, we met 5 and decided on Nicholas from renoguyz. It was an unexpected decision as he was the last one we met with recommendation from our neighbor when we had already kinda decided on going with contractor.

We decided on contractor initially as we were quite firm with our ideas and most IDs we met were quite pushy with ideas which we found were... Looks fancy, Not fully practical, slightly functional, above our budget or having commitment issue.

Nicholas like all IDs has ideas but he was willing to listen to us and suggest alternatives to built on what we had in mind to make what's good even better. Like us, he is more practical with his ideas and showing him photos of ideas that we like helps give him the security that we know what we wanted.

For our reno, we decided to request for the bare necessity incorporate with our liking as a foundation to build/add on subsequently. This is our 1st house and we do not want to fill it up fast and regret later

Note: I have to point out that the journey was not all smooth and sweet. Nicholas is a very straight forward and blunt person who can be tactless with words. Communication is a 2 way traffic and like all relationship you need to talk to resolve any misunderstanding. We are all stakeholders, he wants to make it look nice and we want to to see what we like.

Our Design Consideration
My wife and I like nice simple design. E.g. wood grains. During our research, many woody design with light colors caught our attention and some are called Scandinavia or minimalist etc... We don't have a theme but we know what color attracts us and decided to research on how they will match.

Eventually we ended up with yellows, grey as a base color for general area and white with a touch of pink and grey for MBR. We look at color charts and discuss with Nicholas before we started painting.

Yes, we did our own painting since we painted our room for our wedding. We decided that it can be a family project and I can spent more time with my family member painting together then have a good meal later on. The eventual outcome is as below after 4 days over 4 weekends

WP_20140603_19_18_37_Pro_zpsa5ac56be.jpg
WP_20140603_19_16_08_Pro_zps07c7c217.jpg

After painting, Nicholas was shocked when he stepped into our house as it looked different from what we discussed. Due to tone variation, we sat down and reevaluate our color options for furniture and decided on another color.

Currently, I am 1 week plus into my reno but I will share my purchases and progress subsequently.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Raymond, kudos to you for making the painting of your flat a family project. I think it turned out very well! :) Looking forward to more updates!

On 6/25/2014 at 12:09 AM, raymondgoh said:

Nicholas like all IDs has ideas but he was willing to listen to us and suggest alternatives to built on what we had in mind to make what's good even better. Like us, he is more practical with his ideas and showing him photos of ideas that we like helps give him the security that we know what we wanted.

Thank you for your review!