Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Cgekjoon

Is Cash Deposit Refundable Before Contract Is Signed?

Hi,

I was asked to pay a deposit of $200 when Design Tray Interior came to my house to do measurement. I was told that the amount will be offset from the final bill. No receipt was issued to me.

Thereafter, Design Tray Interior send me a hand-written quotations, which bear no authorised signature and company logo. Upon my request for a formal quotation, their response became sluggish. Later, they were totally uncontactable. I lost confidence in them and sought help from CASE to ask for refund of my deposit.

However, Design Tray Interior insisted that the deposit is non-refundable though there was no document given that says so.

I wonder, is it a common practice in the industry to ask customer for deposit before any contract is signed? Is there any law protects consumer against such a practice?

May anyone who is versed in this area shed some light for the welfare of all consumers.

Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi,

I have never heard about paying a deposit for the ID to come over to your place just to do measurements but however, a deposit before a contract is signed is possible.

Usually the agreement lies between the both of you or if you're uncomfortable, you should ask for a black and white certifing your deposit and whether if it is refundable.