Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi all,

My 5-room HDB is currently tenanted out until early Apr 17. The plan is to do a complete overhaul for renovation and move in before mid Jun 17. I would like to ask when I should start to look for IDs?

Just some background, this is my second renovation. The first was done on a tight budget more than 10 years ago. Basically, my wife and I just accepted most of what the ID had proposed which in hindsight was not such a good idea (we thought that since he is a professional, he should know better). So this time, we would like to be heavily involved in entire design of the unit (from the selection of the final design, selection of all materials used, the internal configurations/measurement of the carpentry, layout of aircon pipes, etc) and what IDs should be delivering at the end of the day. We expect the entire design process to be highly interactive and would probably be challenging for both ID and us as well. Hopefully at the end of the day, it will be a fulfilling process for both parties (We get the dream home at a reasonable cost, and the ID would have something worthy to showcase in his/her portfolio)

However, we am quite busy during the weekdays and weekends are usually spent with family and kids. Working backwards from the expected move in date (mid Jun 17) and assuming renovation starts immediately after we take control of out unit (estimated 2 months for the entire renovation and furnishing process), I would like to seek your advice on when we should start talking to IDs, considering the level of involvement that we would like and how much time we have in reality. How much time should we budget for discussing the design portion of the renovation process? Should we start in Dec, or Sep or even now (seems too kiasu right?)

We have some IDs whom we have in mind that we would be approaching based on past recommendations. However, we do not want to approach them too early so as not to waste their time (although we don't mind talking to them early to get more ideas though).

Any advice?

Thanks and regards
Roland

PS: If you are an ID and would like to discuss with me your ideas, I seek your kind understanding of the above timeline. I am in no hurry to renovate or sign any "special price packages". I would only be signing the package if and only if (1) I am comfortable and confident in your ability to deliver nearer to the date and (2) when the design is more or less finalized. If you are agreeable, I would be more than happy to discuss with you my requirements and listen to your proposals.

Edited by roland

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Roland

If base on May 2017 work renovation starts, then probably 2 to 3 months before can start sourcing for your IDs. Usually reno works took 6 to 8 weeks subject to your reno works volume.