Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Valjean

How Long Did You Wait For Ids To Get Back On Their Proposal/floorplan?

When we first started out.... not all ID got back to us... in fact... 1-2 did not even remember who I was! !! after talking so much with them.... promising heaven and earth.... sigh...

SO in the end, this ID which was highly recommended by my friend took about a week to get back to me inspite of his busy time table... and it was no problem after that! Quite efficient... guess cos he is the boss 8|

I guess it all really depends on how sincere they are... 1 month is totally unacceptable... perhaps you should call and check with them

Edited by imakan

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

more than two weeks already considered long liow

call to do a follow up to see if they are still working on your case... else you can look else where liow... unless you are still keen to engage their services :sport-smiley-003:

haha i remember some even call me back after 2 months... i totally forgotten those pple or just cancel off the list..

well depends on the ID.. during the CNY period usually quite slow but 2 weeks should be quite ok... more then that just look for others.. :sport-smiley-003:

good luck in ur search for ID...

Hey - GnM where have u been? how is ur CNY?

haha i remember some even call me back after 2 months... i totally forgotten those pple or just cancel off the list..

well depends on the ID.. during the CNY period usually quite slow but 2 weeks should be quite ok... more then that just look for others.. :)

good luck in ur search for ID...

Hey - GnM where have u been? how is ur CNY?

lurking around... :P

CNY? One busy day after another... so glad it is over :P

Thanks all for your helpful replies.

I cut the IDs some slack due to the CNY period (I assumed they would be busy rushing to hand-over projects before CNY) plus I have yet to collect keys. However, it does look like most of them aren't really on the ball. Sadly, I was quite keen on a few of them, especially after the initial meeting. :notti:

Will give the better ones a call and see how's their attitude. Else it's back to ID shopping again, which is quite tiring!

The ID i took up was recommended by fellow forummers, so i called him up and met up. On the spot the ID gave me a rough pic of wat the design and theme is going to be. Took him abt a week to come back to me with the floorplan and proposal/quotation.

This is very important to me.

If the ID cannot even be bothered to give a quote, maybe because budget is low or the required works are minimal and cannot earn enough money, then don't waste your time.

Go for someone who is as interested in you as you are interested in them. What's the point if its only a one-sided affair?? Don't insists on them to do for you just because you think are good; attitude is very impt, especially when it comes to problems later.

maybe the ID really very busy also... 1 week to get the proposal/quotation... i cant accept... if more than 2 weeks than maybe can say bye bye liao... more worst... some ID say want to get u back... but they nvr at all...

I started ID hunting sometime in late January too, gave them max 2 weeks to draw up a quotation, else I will ask the ID for a firm date that he/she is comfortable with.

3 days past the dateline, I will give them a reminder call, if they have not even started or don't even remember who I am, I will drop them off from my list. I can do without such nonchalance. There will always be a firm out there who will be keen to take up the business, don't have to "beg" for their response or be at any firm's mercy.

Proposal/Quotation is like the first phase of any renovation, if they can't even show any enthusiasm at this stage and I have to chase them for it, how are they going to convince me that they will be capable of handling the entire renovation?

Btw, choices = dilemma, more choices = big headache.

Limit yourself to 5 good renovation firms to faciliate your ease of comparison, they are more or less the same. Your final decision will be based on the rapport with the ID (display of passion & gusto), design concept, worksmanship and clarity of the quote (everything spelt out with no hidden costs involved) that matters.

I called up 3 firms that we were quite interested in initially... based on first impressions in Jan. Of this 3, we're meeting 1 this weekend and another 1 will be getting back by next week. Last 1, no sound no picture. Oh well, give the former 2 a chance, since they made a good initial impression, and see how much effort they put into the proposal! The remaining 4 on our list, bye bye!

To be on the safe side, will still be going down to Expo to shop for more IDs at this month's exhibition. Another tiring round!

I called up 3 firms that we were quite interested in initially... based on first impressions in Jan. Of this 3, we're meeting 1 this weekend and another 1 will be getting back by next week. Last 1, no sound no picture. Oh well, give the former 2 a chance, since they made a good initial impression, and see how much effort they put into the proposal! The remaining 4 on our list, bye bye!

To be on the safe side, will still be going down to Expo to shop for more IDs at this month's exhibition. Another tiring round!

for me i also feel no point i chase the id when i want to give them business..

some of the ids i spent 2 hours telling what i want end up mia-ing..

very frustrating esp with work and all and taking precious after office hours to do it..

very tiring lor..

end up, i learnt a trick from fellow forummers: write up a list of what you want to do, before you meet up with the id, email them the list that you want to do and get a rough quote first. if rough quote looks ok, then meet up to elaborate and see their credentials..

hope that helps!

ps - personally i feel those cos that go for exhibitions not too good, hear from some friends feedback, signed at exhibition but end up having a bit of problems with their reno. usually like a lot of promotions, however, its at the expense of the quality of worksmanship, if not how they give those freebies or cheap price..

Just some cautions on using timelines to judge an ID.

When I first started looking for an ID, I did the most commonsensical thing i.e. if the ID did not get back to me in 1-2 weeks time, he/she was dropped from my list. I felt that an ID who was interested and sincere would certainly get back to me in a reasonable timeframe.

However from personal experience, one amongst the several IDs I contacted was away on reservice at that time. He asked that I emailed him and would get back to me when he got back to work. I did not hear from this ID after 2 weeks, called him and he said he was still working on it. At that point, I wanted to drop him cos I felt that his attitude was pretty laid back. I also had in the meantime found a few other IDs who I was considering. For some reason, when this ID got back to me after 3 weeks, I decided to give him another chance even though I was still felt he was very laid back. Hubby felt I should drop him from our list.

The funny thing is we eventually signed with him. My reno is nearly done by now and he has been fantastic all the way from the time we signed with him.

Just thought I should share my experience to highlight that time taken for ID to get back may not always be the most precise way to measure their competence and sincerity. I guess however that is probably the only way we can judge an ID on first impressions.

ID Kenny from Spacious Planners got back to me in 2 weeks time ... very fast n efficient .. today was the 3rd meeting with him ..

1st meeting: met outside the shop (which means i am the walk in kind)

2nd meeting one week latter, presented me with wonderful designs and drawings (rough idea)

3rd meeting today, went into more details with more drawings n ideas

4th meeting ... Unknown, waiting for final quotation ....

and all his presentations are without me paying him a single cent . GOSH :)!! how many IDs ar willing to do that ???

His drawings are pencil drawings with colour :notti:!:D

ID Kenny from Spacious Planners got back to me in 2 weeks time ... very fast n efficient .. today was the 3rd meeting with him ..

1st meeting: met outside the shop (which means i am the walk in kind)

2nd meeting one week latter, presented me with wonderful designs and drawings (rough idea)

3rd meeting today, went into more details with more drawings n ideas

4th meeting ... Unknown, waiting for final quotation ....

and all his presentations are without me paying him a single cent . GOSH :)!! how many IDs ar willing to do that ???

His drawings are pencil drawings with colour :)!:P

tt's good news!!! :good:

jus contacted one of my prospective ID too... the response was pretty fast..... met ID 1 day after calling.... they took down my requirements and gave a draft space planning base on my floor plan on the spot.... now waiting for quote and initial drawing... promised by this thurs.... hope turn out well like yours....

did you check if you do not engage them in the end, need to pay or not? some ID will charge for the design if eventually deal calls off.....

all the best to your tonite meeting!!! :)

tt's good news!:notti::P

jus contacted one of my prospective ID too... the response was pretty fast..... met ID 1 day after calling.... they took down my requirements and gave a draft space planning base on my floor plan on the spot.... now waiting for quote and initial drawing... promised by this thurs.... hope turn out well like yours....

did you check if you do not engage them in the end, need to pay or not? some ID will charge for the design if eventually deal calls off.....

all the best to your tonite meeting!:(:)

nope .. i dun think need to pay anything but of cos we try to reach a common agreement n price .. but of cos, we dun make use of IDs to design free for us la ...

treat everyone ard us with sincereity ...

good luck to u and hope yr meeting gonna be a great one ...