Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
RyanYTH

Looking for feedback on the 3D design of my HDB BTO 2 room 35sqm (Type 1) flat

Okay made a couple of changes and I've come out with what could possibly be the final design versions of my apartment.
btw, ignore that strange blue box in the living room lol. I intend to put something nice there.

2 versions with different style of kitchen in either black or white version lol.
Which one is more appealing? :D
I personally prefer 2nd Design (Black Kitchen Version) but thats just me. :D

1st Design (White Kitchen Version)
https://planner5d.com/editor/?key=a76382dc36da75584d0ec21f06aaa742

1st Design (Black Kitchen Version)
https://planner5d.com/view/?key=d06bf2ce222b98261e39d2749623e484

------------------------------------------------------

2nd Design (White Kitchen Version)
https://planner5d.com/view/?key=1b6ef6056aaa1f365a1ea1d21dc42763

2nd Design (Black Kitchen Version)
https://planner5d.com/view/?key=66ca3b2a4acb230de795a0de44f2cb12

Edited by ryanyth

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
3 hours ago, ryanyth said:

And yes definitely I will have storage area for the bed platform of course. 2 or three drawers.
The L-shape ledge flanking around my mattress is also storage area.

existing tiles holding the tracks need to be removed? but we aren't allowed to do hacking, can only do overlay right?

just drawers? meaning only the external row, inside?

i think, i think only hor, removing few pieces is ok but not all :P

3 hours ago, mmoh said:

just drawers? meaning only the external row, inside?

i think, i think only hor, removing few pieces is ok but not all :P

Yea just drawers. The side facing the living room will be drawers.
And seeing how the bookshelf will potentially block off a small part, probably 2 drawers max.
Thinking of using glossy laminate for the platform.

LOL its ok, if can hack then I hack lor. If cannot hack then overlay lor.
This kind of thing I leave to ID see how ba. See which one cheaper lol

One thing i'd like to seek ya'll opinion tho.
Does it look wierd to have the Refridgerator right next to Kitchen Window?

Edited by ryanyth

13 hours ago, ryanyth said:

Yea just drawers. The side facing the living room will be drawers.
And seeing how the bookshelf will potentially block off a small part, probably 2 drawers max.
Thinking of using glossy laminate for the platform.

One thing i'd like to seek ya'll opinion tho.
Does it look wierd to have the Refridgerator right next to Kitchen Window?

then inside space wasted liao. but if wanna do more storage space, will have other issue also.

i dont see a problem with that. just need to walk further into the kitchen to reach the fridge and just make sure no direct sunlight at the fridge will do bah.

1 hour ago, mmoh said:

then inside space wasted liao. but if wanna do more storage space, will have other issue also.

i dont see a problem with that. just need to walk further into the kitchen to reach the fridge and just make sure no direct sunlight at the fridge will do bah.

Inside space wasted? But the area already covered by mattress, would be kindda funny to try to put openings in it machiam like secret compartments lol.
Personally I think drawers should be sufficient. Another way is I position my sleeping so that I face the window instead of the living room.

Yea i'll probably draw the curtain to shield fridge from sunlight or something.

Hi Ryanyth - I used to have the same idea as you about using only induction for cooking. However, in the remote chance of a electricity outage, we have to rely on the gas cooker for cooking and boiling water. Current models of gas hobs are compact, easy-to-clean and safer compared to their predecessors.  Most likely, I need a gas clothes dryer too. I intend to dismantle the indoor drying rack or not use it minimally as it takes up too much space in the small kitchen. What are your plans for the indoor drying rack?

2 hours ago, 2Roomer said:

Hi Ryanyth - I used to have the same idea as you about using only induction for cooking. However, in the remote chance of a electricity outage, we have to rely on the gas cooker for cooking and boiling water. Current models of gas hobs are compact, easy-to-clean and safer compared to their predecessors.  Most likely, I need a gas clothes dryer too. I intend to dismantle the indoor drying rack or not use it minimally as it takes up too much space in the small kitchen. What are your plans for the indoor drying rack?

Hey 2 Roomer.
Electrical outage in Singapore is really a very rare case tbh. In my whole 39 years, I've only witnessed less then 5 incidents at home.
Choosing a gas cooker instead of induction because of electrical outages is like saying "I'd rather stay low-floor because I scared elevator may breakdown."
If in the rare case electrical outage does occur, very simple just go downstairs kopi-tiam dabao nasi lemak makan lor :D
I'm fortunate that a kopi-tiam is located mere 5 mins away from my block. :D

Induction cookers cook faster and are just safer IMO, I've never heard of anyone die from Induction Cooker electric shock or something.
Also, after cooking, the induction cooker remains cool to the touch and won't scald. One of my design, the induction cooker quite near
the person sitting so the chance of accidentally scalding is lower. (or even non-existent)
This video may convince you of the safety of Induction Cooking.

I also never did like the idea of having Gas because you never know when it may leak
10 or 20 years down the road, and you won't even know because Gas is odourless.

I'm keeping the indoor drying rack. If you say it takes up too much space, wouldn't a gas clothes dryer take up space too?
At least the drying rack is hung up in the ceiling.

Edited by ryanyth

6 hours ago, 2Roomer said:

me too thought of induction but later chose for gas.

me too dismantle the rack cos no sun at kitchen at all. no regret.

Hi Ryanyth - Got your point about the advantages of induction over gas. I've got some thinking to do. Actually the gas dryer won't take up too much space as it meant to be stacked on top of a front load washer. I am not sure if upper kitchen cabinets can be constructed near the window (as in your plans) as they may obstruct the movement of the indoor drying rack.

Hi Mmoh - Can I check how you dry your clothes? Do you use the laundry rack outside the kitchen window or a clothes dryer?

On ‎31‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:06 PM, 2Roomer said:

Hi Ryanyth - Got your point about the advantages of induction over gas. I've got some thinking to do. Actually the gas dryer won't take up too much space as it meant to be stacked on top of a front load washer. I am not sure if upper kitchen cabinets can be constructed near the window (as in your plans) as they may obstruct the movement of the indoor drying rack.

Hi Mmoh - Can I check how you dry your clothes? Do you use the laundry rack outside the kitchen window or a clothes dryer?

Sure thing.
Actually whenever I visit Courts or other electrical appliances shop, I've not seen a Gas Clothes Dryer like what you mentioned.
I reckon its not very widely used and if it were to one day spoil, it will be quite mafan to replace it maybe?

Alternatively, instead of a separate Gas Clothes Dryer, most modern washing machines now also probably come with in-built dryer functions no?
If that's the case, you don't even need to get a separate dryer anymore. Just spend abit more get a more functions washing machine.

No issue if kitchen cabinets cannot be constructed there. I just needed a place to put my washing detergent and accessories that's all.
A simple shelf will also do if I cannot put a cabinet.

Personally, I've been air drying clothes in a indoor drying rack for years already.
I've always been using clothes hangers to hang the clothes on the indoor rack after washing,
and when its dry after 2-3days, immediately can take them down and hang them in my wardrobe.
As for the laundry rack outside the kitchen window, I only use it for bigger items like towels or bedsheets.

Edited by ryanyth

Hi Ryanyth - Yes, gas clothes dryer are hard to find in Singapore. Only City Gas & Hoe Kee Hardware carry this Rinnai Gas Dryer. It is supposedly quicker and cheaper compared to electric ones. My preference is to air dry clothes indoor but I think it is difficult in a 2-Room flat since the kitchen is small and there is no service yard. As my kitchen window will be facing a busy main road & some construction sites, I will avoid hanging my laundry outdoors. A washer dryer combo is a good idea but it can be tricky with a full load of laundry as the dryer has a smaller capacity than the washer. So much things to consider for a tiny house.

On 1/31/2017 at 11:06 PM, 2Roomer said:

I removed the hanging laundry rack. I do not have sunlight at the kitchen area, including the laundry rack outside the kitchen. So I only use that rack for table cloths etc.

As the morning sun shines into my living and bed room, I installed a pole in the living room near the window to hang my laundry. and recently I realised I can hang the clothes at the window handle at the bed room too.

Edited by mmoh

• Like 1

Hi All... Seems like i am very late to this topic... I went MIA for a while....

Ryanyth, your floor plan is exactly the same as mine... My BTO is West Ridges (BT.BATOK)

and i noticed you have cat feeding area in your 5D planner. :) 

lol... A shout out to fellow feline lover,, 

back to topic... Kudos to your planning skills.. I am still clueless on how i am going Reno this tiny 35sqm hse.. 

Like need to sacrifice a lot of stuff.. queen size bed, a practical kitchen and a spacious shower area.. 

I rope in my frend who is in this trade as my ID.. Hope can have a practical yet classy home for me...

• Like 1

On 04/04/2017 at 11:12 PM, RuFus58 said:

Hi All... Seems like i am very late to this topic... I went MIA for a while....

Ryanyth, your floor plan is exactly the same as mine... My BTO is West Ridges (BT.BATOK)

and i noticed you have cat feeding area in your 5D planner. :) 

lol... A shout out to fellow feline lover,, 

back to topic... Kudos to your planning skills.. I am still clueless on how i am going Reno this tiny 35sqm hse.. 

Like need to sacrifice a lot of stuff.. queen size bed, a practical kitchen and a spacious shower area.. 

I rope in my frend who is in this trade as my ID.. Hope can have a practical yet classy home for me...

Hey rufus thanks for your reply to the thread. It's all good just discussing about ideas and throwing it around. Nice to see a cat lover too :)

Indeed due to small size need to sacrifice alot. Queen bed I think still can tho. Do try out this planner 5d software and please feel free to use my floor plan as template and modify to anything you like if you want. I really dun mind.

I was like u also clueless other then a vague idea and using this software really let me see my idea appear and more ideas happen with valuable inputs from everyone in this thread as to what is practical.

Looking forward to your design! :)

Edited by ryanyth

• Like 1