Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi guys,

I am in the midst of my renovation - all is going reasonably well at the moment but just received a VO from my ID charging me "supply and re-run damaged concealed piping". It's for both common and main bathrooms at $600 each. 

I remember clearly that he said it was damaged when the walls were hacked. Few questions:

1. Is the damage expected? e.g. it is understandable when bathroom floor is hacked then the WC will be damaged and cannot be re-used so a new one needs to be purchased

2. Shall the homeowner (i.e. me) expected to pay for this cost?

3. Lastly, is $600 sound reasonable at all for the replacement?

Will be speaking to my ID about this later today but I wish today what the industry practice/norm is.

Thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Casper, when i was renovating my 6 year old BTO resale flat, I had the same question when I asked my contractor is it really necessary to replace the original BTO hot and cold pipings.

I saw that they were deeply concealed in the wall screed and should not be easily damaged even after hacking the wall tiles.

In my heart, i know they are not necessary to be replaced and money can be saved.

But he still insist that i replaced them and I bo bian...

I guess, copper piping work are quite profitable for them... u know what i mean.

On 4/3/2017 at 11:49 AM, casperlai said:

Hi guys,

I am in the midst of my renovation - all is going reasonably well at the moment but just received a VO from my ID charging me "supply and re-run damaged concealed piping". It's for both common and main bathrooms at $600 each. 

I remember clearly that he said it was damaged when the walls were hacked. Few questions:

1. Is the damage expected? e.g. it is understandable when bathroom floor is hacked then the WC will be damaged and cannot be re-used so a new one needs to be purchased

2. Shall the homeowner (i.e. me) expected to pay for this cost?

3. Lastly, is $600 sound reasonable at all for the replacement?

Will be speaking to my ID about this later today but I wish today what the industry practice/norm is.

Thanks!

when it comes to hacking of wall, the chances of damaging the concealed piping is very high.

water piping has to be replaced with new ones. 

1. If u intend to use back the wc, you could request your ID to dismantle and keep it aside.

2. Depends on whether your ID inform you prior hacking.

3. Depends on whether new piping is concealed or exposed.

On 5/9/2017 at 6:34 PM, samanthalee said:

Casper, when i was renovating my 6 year old BTO resale flat, I had the same question when I asked my contractor is it really necessary to replace the original BTO hot and cold pipings.

I saw that they were deeply concealed in the wall screed and should not be easily damaged even after hacking the wall tiles.

In my heart, i know they are not necessary to be replaced and money can be saved.

But he still insist that i replaced them and I bo bian...

I guess, copper piping work are quite profitable for them... u know what i mean.

Even thought the pipes are concealed deep inside the wall, the chances of damaging the pipes is very high.

The hacker uses breaker to hack the wall. Which cause intensive vibration into the wall.

Its recommended to change the piping. unless you want to hack again just to change the piping.

On 14/05/2017 at 0:56 AM, peihao83 said:

Even thought the pipes are concealed deep inside the wall, the chances of damaging the pipes is very high.

The hacker uses breaker to hack the wall. Which cause intensive vibration into the wall.

Its recommended to change the piping. unless you want to hack again just to change the piping.

How does a breaker look like?

Edited by samanthalee