Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wayne

Cost Of Parquet Flooring

Hi,

Hope you guys can help me.

Hauhau quoted me about $5.20 for 12mm x 2" x 12" burmese teak strips exclusive of installation. Is this considered reasonable?

Thanks in advance.

last month when i went huahua, they told me no more burmese teak, was out of stock and ask me to take indo teak...

this is weird...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
last month when i went huahua, they told me no more burmese teak, was out of stock and ask me to take indo teak...

this is weird...

Hi Jeddie,

That sounds a little strange. Would you mind sharing your quote?

Can PM me if you like.

Thanks

I was also told Indon was out of stock 2 wks back. Thus had waited till 30th Apr then made a call to them, and was told stock came in the day before. :dunno::dunno: Anyway, i shd be getting from them, together with the installer that they recommend. Hopefully, everything is fine. :bow:

Dear all,

I have made a mistake over the pricing of the parquet flooring in my previous posting.

Have made the appropriate corrections. Sorry for any inconveniences caused.

:yamseng:

Hi,

Hope you guys can help me.

Hauhau quoted me about $5.00 for 12mm x 2" x 12" burmese teak strips exclusive of installation. Is this considered reasonable?

Thanks in advance.

For Burmese Teak, you can go to Nature Wood Pte Ltd.

They are importer of Burma Teak logs and sawn timber and parquet wood.

You can buy any size from them.

Office number is 63630030.

Then ask for quotation.

I m sure they will give you a surprise. :D

Hi, can anyone share with me the pricing of parquet psf?

I'm considering to lay it in all my bedrooms.

Thanks in advance!

I know you already got a quotation here in this forum.

But kindly note the followings when you are doing parquet flooring.

1) First select the size of teak parquet you want.

in the quotation it is 12mm x 2" x 12".

but in the market, there are others that may be cheaper ... for eg.

12mm x 38mm x 12"

12mm x 46mm x 276mm

or even wider specs like 12mm x 70mm or 12mm x 95mm.

of course the narrower ... the cheaper.

the wider, the more expensive.

and you may consider the thickness. in the market there are 18mm thickness also.

2) after the wood, lets check on the glue you want to use.

Usually, market use white glue - water soluble.

not a good glue in my opinion. but useable. cheap.

in the market, there is something call PU GLUE.

very good solid glue but very expensive.

3) then the sanding, make sure they do 3 sandings.

the more sanding they do, the better the fininshing.

the sand paper used are 36 very coarse.

then use 80 supposed to be able to finish and handover to owner.

if you can use 120 for finer finishing ... very smooth.

4) lastly the coating.

usually the coating is melamine. very low cost lacquer for wood finishing.

but will wear off in time ... about 2 to 3 year.

easily scratched also.

try to ask them to give you water based coating.

this coating is non-toxic. very good finishing.

brings out the true color of the wood.

of course, it is more expensive.

Well, above are some pointers for pple who wants to do solid wood in your house.

I know you already got a quotation here in this forum.

But kindly note the followings when you are doing parquet flooring.

1) First select the size of teak parquet you want.

in the quotation it is 12mm x 2" x 12".

but in the market, there are others that may be cheaper ... for eg.

12mm x 38mm x 12"

12mm x 46mm x 276mm

or even wider specs like 12mm x 70mm or 12mm x 95mm.

of course the narrower ... the cheaper.

the wider, the more expensive.

and you may consider the thickness. in the market there are 18mm thickness also.

2) after the wood, lets check on the glue you want to use.

Usually, market use white glue - water soluble.

not a good glue in my opinion. but useable. cheap.

in the market, there is something call PU GLUE.

very good solid glue but very expensive.

3) then the sanding, make sure they do 3 sandings.

the more sanding they do, the better the fininshing.

the sand paper used are 36 very coarse.

then use 80 supposed to be able to finish and handover to owner.

if you can use 120 for finer finishing ... very smooth.

4) lastly the coating.

usually the coating is melamine. very low cost lacquer for wood finishing.

but will wear off in time ... about 2 to 3 year.

easily scratched also.

try to ask them to give you water based coating.

this coating is non-toxic. very good finishing.

brings out the true color of the wood.

of course, it is more expensive.

Well, above are some pointers for pple who wants to do solid wood in your house.

Hi everyone

My house Teak flooring was also done by Hau Hau Parquet & Wood Industries Pte Ltd. It being 9 years and so far so good.

I've no problem with the white glue they use for my Teak flooring and I even went back to buy some more for repairs to my rosewood furniture joint which I'm using for over 20 years. :D

I happened to live in several houses which was installed with different sizes of Teak flooring from Indonesia Teak Mosaic strip which was only 6mm Thick to Indonesia Teak Parquet 12mm x 2" x 8" and Burmese Teak long strip with thickness 18mm x 73mm width. Well they all have the same warm and solid underfoot feeling unlike some laminate flooring which has the hollow sound and could not take the weight of heavy furniture resting on them. But dent can occur in solid wood flooring which include solid Teak flooring. Thus special care like adding 3M pad to the furniture legs and not dragging heavy or sharp object across the wooden floor could help reduce scratches and dents. :notti:

Even so, dents and scratch marks on your wood flooring appears after many years of wear and tear. You can still contact HauHauParquet or a qualify wood flooring installer for a resanding and revarnish service which will make your wood flooring look brand new again. However do take note if you are using only 12mm thickness wood flooring be cautious, cause over sanding of the wood surface during the inital installation could reduce the surface thickness of the wood before it reach the tongue and groove thus reducing the number times you could revive your wood flooring to serve you.

Hence in my opinion selecting a good wood flooring installer base on the company or installer years of experience and workmanship is very important. Cause they could offer you many ideas, advices and assurance that the wood flooring install in your house will serve you and maybe even your next generation as well. :good:

Hi all,

I'm looking for help on advise to the difference between Indonesian & burmese wood and hope someone can help me.

I was quoted around $2k for parquet flooring for 3 bedrooms. After the works were done, the contractor billed me twice the price and claim he had used the Burmese wood instead of Indonesia wood (as quoted earlier). I am now very upset over the increase as it is a lot of money. On top of that, we were not told he is using the premium wood when we were chosing the wood samples and am now stucked whether to pay him the premium price anot. But since all has been done, I will be willing to top up if it is indeed the premium wood used to avoid any confrontation.

Does anyone knows the difference between Burmese and Indonesian wood? Is Burmese wood really better and more pricy? How do I ascertain that it is the real Burmese wood?

I'm new to this forum and hope someone can help me. Thanking all in advance.

Hi all,

I'm looking for help on advise to the difference between Indonesian & burmese wood and hope someone can help me.

I was quoted around $2k for parquet flooring for 3 bedrooms. After the works were done, the contractor billed me twice the price and claim he had used the Burmese wood instead of Indonesia wood (as quoted earlier). I am now very upset over the increase as it is a lot of money. On top of that, we were not told he is using the premium wood when we were chosing the wood samples and am now stucked whether to pay him the premium price anot. But since all has been done, I will be willing to top up if it is indeed the premium wood used to avoid any confrontation.

Does anyone knows the difference between Burmese and Indonesian wood? Is Burmese wood really better and more pricy? How do I ascertain that it is the real Burmese wood?

I'm new to this forum and hope someone can help me. Thanking all in advance.

Hi

It is quite hard to tell the different when the Teak flooring is done with varnish.

However Burmese Teakwood would look darker brown because the Teak tree

from Burma are older much are from very old natural forest thus more Teak oil

and also more expensive. While Indonesia Teakwood are from plantation normally

cut down at a younger age thus look lighter in color. Both can repel termites.

The best thing to do is to request for a Certificate of Origin by the supplier for

the Teak flooring that are delivered to your house and call up the supplier to confirm.

That is what I did. Hope this help you :P

Hi

It is quite hard to tell the different when the Teak flooring is done with varnish.

The best thing to do is to request for a Certificate of Origin by the supplier for

the Teak flooring that are delivered to your house and call up the supplier to confirm.

Hi, thanks so much for the reply! Really appreciate. :D

Hi

Hi WH1988,

Thanks for the response. Err... the flooring was done by a contractor and he does not seem to have the Certificate. Can I bother you and the other experts here to see if they are more like Burmese or Indonesian Teak? ;)

I have uploaded a picture each taken at 3 different rooms. The flooring colour differs due to the wall paint reflection.

hehee... Paiseh. :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak47sst/3472566013/

Thanks!

Hi WH1988,

Thanks for the response. Err... the flooring was done by a contractor and he does not seem to have the Certificate. Can I bother you and the other experts here to see if they are more like Burmese or Indonesian Teak? ;)

I have uploaded a picture each taken at 3 different rooms. The flooring colour differs due to the wall paint reflection.

hehee... Paiseh. :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak47sst/3472566013/

Thanks!

Hi ak47sst

I understand the contractor do not have the Cert. However the company or supplier who supply your contractor the Teak flooring installed in your house should have one.

Anyway I've seen the picture look nice :good: and I'm pretty sure it is Burmese Teak cause it look similar to my Burmese Teak Strip flooring installed in my room. Unless the light is playing tricks on my eyes.

Sorry I couldn't show you any picture of my room but you can visit hauhauparquet.com then click on the Burmese Teak Products on the left column and there are some small picture at the beginning of the page. You will notice that Burmese Teak natural color come from very light brown to very dark.

Is your Teak flooring size 11.5mm thick x 73mm Width x 1 foot up Length or 11.5mm thick x 95mm Width x 1 foot up Length?

:P

Hi ak47sst

I understand the contractor do not have the Cert. However the company or supplier who supply your contractor the Teak flooring installed in your house should have one.

Anyway I've seen the picture look nice :good: and I'm pretty sure it is Burmese Teak cause it look similar to my Burmese Teak Strip flooring installed in my room. Unless the light is playing tricks on my eyes.

Sorry I couldn't show you any picture of my room but you can visit hauhauparquet.com then click on the Burmese Teak Products on the left column and there are some small picture at the beginning of the page. You will notice that Burmese Teak natural color come from very light brown to very dark.

Is your Teak flooring size 11.5mm thick x 73mm Width x 1 foot up Length or 11.5mm thick x 95mm Width x 1 foot up Length?

:P

Hi WH1988,

Thanks for the advice! phew~ am glad to know it looks like Burmese Teak... now very heartache to pay the premium..

Just before I sought for help here, I visited hauhauparquet.com. It does look similar to their Burmese Teak but couldn't find any Indonesian Teak wood pictures. hee.. Maybe I was too anxious after seeing the bill..

After this incident, I am very careful when making any confirmations with contractor. My contractor is more layman hence many things are not in black and white, but I must say his works done so far are very good. So I want to compensate what he has done for me appropriately.

erm, I didn't measure the size. When I made my choice, I agar agar one.. Will keep you updated on my next visit to new house yah? :thumbs up: