Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
hoppinghippos

Qn to audiophiles

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hello, some contribution since i am an audiophile myself.

Yes it is quite true that "normal" speaker cables will suffice in an average system for 5.1 channel since these systems are mostly for movies and the way signals produced and type (quality) which are distributed is very much movie focus. The subtle difference in sound quality cannot be picked up and reproduced by both the decoder (DVD) as well as the speaker unit.

For high-end systems the "sensitivity" of the pick-up of signals must first be encoded into the CDs thereafter proper decoding and carrying the exact info by the decoder (DVD or CD Player) and the DA Converter, the signal then carried through the pre amplifier for volume adjustment w/o loss of info and then to the power amplification (or mono blocks) for amplified signals before being carried by the "carrier" of info (which are the cables) to the speakers which will then convert the electrical signals into mechanical (sound).

For those who wish to know exactly what it means to hear this subtle difference in sound and how the cables/speakers/cd player/amplifier etc exactly makes the difference, you may perhaps can try to hear an audiophile encoded (produced) cds in you system and then to some systems at adelphi, you may hear the expanse of the sound, depth (sound stage), clarity, speed (dynamics) which even the breathing and all can be heard.

Sorry but no offense to Bose systems, it is really not categorised as audiophile grade although their legendary 901 hit the market a long time ago, but the way the music are being produced in their speakers are not considered by purists (audiophile) as the "way" as it adds too much "colouration' which makes it sound "good".

Good speakers are perhaps, B&W, Totems, Spendors, Sonus Faber, Proac, dynaudio, wilson-watt, genesis, duntech, kef, rogers (LS3/5A), thiels, focal, scanspeak just to name a few...

These can range from S$3K onwards to S$100K - but the law or diminishing returns for sound quality will apply. Having said that, all the rest of the equipments must be good else no point.

Hope it helps.

Haha, finally got a "men's talk" thread in this forum!

I also loved to be an audiophile but do not have much knowledge about them. The interest stemmed from some friends who are quite into car audio, competitions and stuff, so I thought I would like something good for my home in future too.

However for such hi-end systems, I believe one not only must have financial stamina, technical knowledge is also important, otherwise go to Adephi kana chopped like carrot also duno what happened.

So my query: Are there any forums or discussion groups to learn more about such systems? Those brands that you mentioned, I am sure every one of them has its own good points for certain aspects, eg xx brand is famous for speakers, xx brand's amps are most popular, etc. Would you be able to give some guidelines for a newbie audiophile like me? I want to have a good but basic system, how much should my budget be and what brands can I consider?

Thanks alot!

Haha, finally got a "men's talk" thread in this forum!

I also loved to be an audiophile but do not have much knowledge about them. The interest stemmed from some friends who are quite into car audio, competitions and stuff, so I thought I would like something good for my home in future too.

However for such hi-end systems, I believe one not only must have financial stamina, technical knowledge is also important, otherwise go to Adephi kana chopped like carrot also duno what happened.

So my query: Are there any forums or discussion groups to learn more about such systems? Those brands that you mentioned, I am sure every one of them has its own good points for certain aspects, eg xx brand is famous for speakers, xx brand's amps are most popular, etc. Would you be able to give some guidelines for a newbie audiophile like me? I want to have a good but basic system, how much should my budget be and what brands can I consider?

Thanks alot!

http://www.xtremeplace.com/

http://www.echoloft.com/

Here u go. Cheers!:dunno:

All those discussion above, what's a good place ot see such systems?

Adelphi will be a good one stop location but there are some at Sim Lim Square. There's one at Shaw Tower... a lot more spread out in the town area.

Appreciate anyone who could help me with getting the following:

1. Small HTS for master bedroom, preferably wireless rear speakers. As console width is about 2 ft, hence need a compact small speakers and subwoofer. Will consider HTS 2.1 also but small and compact.

2. Micro hi-fi that I will place on shelf and speakers that will be hanged on high wall. Recently came across the new Teac model (MC-DX22i) with sound and design (though subwoofer a little bulky for me) that appeals to me. But because cables came with prefixed jack, hence cannot use my pre-laid cables on the ceiling. Anyone know how to overcome this problem?

Many thanks in advance.

Sorry only saw your post when someone bumped this thread up.

Ok, went thru the forums in those two weblinks, but hor, sorry to say I still don't understand. Its like recalling my days as a new golfer who joined a group of pros talking about perfecting their swings, curves and discussing about customised clubs, while I cannot even reach 100m at the range.

Do you know of anywhere that I can read up on audio systems? Like how it all works, what are the parts, what is 2-ch and what is 4-ch, what kind of amps, digital/analogue, etc.

Appreciate your help! Really keen to learn more about this...

Edited by zirhk3355

Sorry only saw your post when someone bumped this thread up.

Ok, went thru the forums in those two weblinks, but hor, sorry to say I still don't understand. Its like recalling my days as a new golfer who joined a group of pros talking about perfecting their swings, curves and discussing about customised clubs, while I cannot even reach 100m at the range.

Do you know of anywhere that I can read up on audio systems? Like how it all works, what are the parts, what is 2-ch and what is 4-ch, what kind of amps, digital/analogue, etc.

Appreciate your help! Really keen to learn more about this...

ok, I try my best to help you...by giving u more links ;p

http://hometheater.about.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Sound

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Consumer_electronics

Just take your time to learn as it is very broad and interesting subject.

ok, I try my best to help you...by giving u more links ;p

http://hometheater.about.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Sound

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Consumer_electronics

Just take your time to learn as it is very broad and interesting subject.

Wow, thanks for the prompt reply! I was just reading the articles in HowStuffWorks.com, seemed to be quite useful also.

:notti:

megawork not expensive, u can buy fm creative sale at $499 that bundle with DVD player. however, if u wanna enjoy DTS then u need an external decoder. i use my marantz SR-5200 as a decoder & AV receiver.

i wld say MW550 sounds solid for DVD movies but sounds flat when playing music. that's where i bought a Bose Am-5 for music only.

i think Z5500 is better, better look too. :dancingqueen: from Logitech, once banned in SG as it's too powerful haha.....$600+ or lower can get.

the G550W is a relatively weak speakers compared to both G550 and Z5500. Go compare the specs yourself from creative website and logitech website !!

With that kind of price, it's not worth it. Suggest you get Z5500 with wireless adapter for rear speakers.

it's the most powerful Logitech 5.1 digital speakers set now, after Z680, about $600+

out for quite sometime liao.

but you have to note that this speakers set only comes with 1 optical input, you may need to buy an optical switch to accept multiple optical in.

Hi to all the experts, I have a question.

I have several audio/video devices which uses coaxial or optical output. However, my HTS only has 1 optical input. Is there any device in the market which allows me to jack in many optical cable and select which one to output? I think I need a optical cable selector.

Thanks in advance! :yamseng: