Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
CRRM1010

Reconstruction Journey with reputable builder

Its was indeed by sheer luck that we got to meet a good builder who has the capability to build up our dream home that we desired, we came across this builder when we first bought the house  when they were rebuilding just across the street of our neighbouring house. We also did some checks via bca directory that they were licensed BCA builder as well as BCA contractor.

Also saw some of the forummers mentioned this builder in the forum in the past thread.

We got our house rebuild in 15 months even though the contractural agreement for rebuilding the house would take 16.5 months.

Some of the cost involved were marginalised due when we haggered the prices down with the contractor but he was a guy whom know his stuff well, most of all no headaches or nightmare as posted by some of the forummers here. 

We got our house done at $320psqft for our house of 5100sqft which comes to $1.6m which covered basically everything in the house inclusive of carpentry items which was really a good deal for us.  Most importantly, there were none or minimal defects as the house was build to perfection by this builder and no V.O cost as their contract was clear cut and no cutting around the corners and no delays.

Due to our busy work schedule, my wife and I did not have the time to pop by everyday to catch up on the progress, but this builder keep us up to date with his project schedule and informing us the critical hurdle in each construction process progressively. 

This was indeed a blessing for us as we would have be in utter chaos should we try to go for the lowest priced contractor from our past experience with other bad builders.

Recon 7.jpg

Recon 6.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi!

If you could fill me in on how you go able the re-construction?

1) Did you get the Contractor first or the Architect first?

2) If contractor first, does the cost include architect fee and other consultants' fees and submission?

3) If Architect first, how did you access this contractor to be The One?

Thanks for the input.

11 hours ago, KaPan said:

Hi!

2) If contractor first, does the cost include architect fee and other consultants' fees and submission?

Thanks for the input.

Normally home owners will either find a builder(contractor) or architect.

If find builder first, the builder would either have their in-house architect or someone whom then normally work with for jobs to sign off on the submissions to authorities.

If find architect first, the architect will normally do up all the drawings, get the necessary approvals from authorities and then invite builders/contractors to submit quotations for the job by way of tender. home owner can then decide which builder they want to award the job to.

normally PSF cost does not include professional fees and submission fees to authorities.

hope this helps.

Hi Snoozee

I am in the process of requesting some Professional Fees' quotation from some Architect firms but the response has been disappointing.

Any idea what is the market price of Professional fees I should be expecting from the 1) Architect  2) Structural Engineer  3) M&E Engineer  4) QS?

Thanks

Ka

9 hours ago, KaPan said:

Hi Snoozee

I am in the process of requesting some Professional Fees' quotation from some Architect firms but the response has been disappointing.

Any idea what is the market price of Professional fees I should be expecting from the 1) Architect  2) Structural Engineer  3) M&E Engineer  4) QS?

Thanks

Ka

Professional fees will vary from project to project since each project have different requirements. Also how you negotiate the fees with each party. 

For architects, it can be a lump sum fee or percentage of overall construction cost. So fees can be anything from 20+k and upwards. At the lowest price, the involvement of the architect will be very minimal (ie submission of drawings and a few site visits as per what the contract covers). One of my friends paid almost 180k for her architect and she said it’s worth every penny. But I guess the norm is around the range of 40-50k for a small inter terrace job.

For C&S, I guess the fees should be around 15k to 20+k again depending on scope of work needed.

M&E I’m not too sure but I guess similar to C&S range?

QS I guess should also be about 10k upwards.

All the professional fees do not include any fees that need to be paid to the relevant authorities for submission of plans.

On 3/13/2018 at 11:01 PM, KaPan said:

Hi Snoozee

Thanks

Ka

The cost of professional fees often varies depending on the complexity of your project. Mine was more of a squarish building with lesser architecture finish which costed me $30k from my contractor. These included architecture fee and structural submission. Some more well known architects takes about 5-8% of the overall tender sum if you are choosing the Architecture route.

On 3/12/2018 at 12:52 PM, KaPan said:

Hi!

Thanks for the input.

1) Some of us prefer the architecture route for reconstruction, whereas some prefer the contractor route where they do design and build.

2) Contractors cost will include architect and consultant fees in the design and build project where they handle technically all the submissions.

3) If architect first, will be by tendering in which me and my wife felt its a longer duration of time from planning to tendering to building, therefore we chose the more cost and time savings ways of design and build.