Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Bananapunk

Attic to Loft conversion in a walk-up apartment

Hi all!

I've recently purchased an old (60's) 1078 sqft walk-up apartment between Little India and Serangoon. I'm planning to completely hack current layout and fake ceiling, install a 300 sqft loft and access to the flat roof on top of the kitchen (another 200 sqft). I've seen an apartment in the neighborhood that did juts that (they claim all legally). I also have a second private access in the back, I'll be building a wadding pool/jacuzzi there. I wanted to start this thread as I'll be documenting the process from start to finish and also hope to gain some advice. I'm a designer, working in the film industry and an artisan, skills I'm planning to partially utilize for this project.   I'm not planning on employing an ID firm, instead will go with an architect or main builder directly. I'd like to present you my preliminary design. I realize some of it won't be doable on my budget, maybe I'm just crazy, but I need a place to start, so my new layout is an ideal case scenario. The style I'll be going for is a mix of mid-century modern mixed with good ol nostalgic Singapore, known from old apartments in Katong and Tiong Bahru. Mostly going for minimal, non pretentious look and raw materials. Cement screed, exposed brick, wood and plain white paint.

You can find the plan in the attachment, also foollow the below link

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9_NMEc2cSqJLTBJS2xabG9QVXM?usp=sharing

You will find there:

-walk through through the current state of the property.

-the video visualization of hacking the walls, installing new layout, adding an attic floor etc.

-mood boards/look  for certain apartment features.

What's next? I'm currently looking for an architect or main contractor with a history of similar projects. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! 

At the same time I'm working on a photo real virtual apartment, which I'll be able to walk into and judge the layout/flow/distances etc. before it get's built. It will allow me to get a feel of the apartment before it's built, also to convey my vision better to architect/builders.

rendering_v1.jpg

Edited by Bananapunk

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I would suggest you purchase the building plans from BCA first and consult a PE. adding almost an entire floor to the existing structure is not something trivial and you need to confirm that the existing structure is able to take the load of the new attic floor.

secondly, the land is zoned for 1.4 GPR. adding a loft will be considered as GFA so you may not be able to build an entire attic floor as this may exceed the 1.4GPR which the land is zoned for.

Hey guys,

A big question that nobody seems to be able to answer to me is whether the property is considered landed or not. Technically it’s a strata titled apartment. The reason it matters is computation of GFA. For example th balcony, is it counted into GFA or not? In condos balcony could fall under 10% bonus gfa. Same goes for the rooftop terrace- does it count towards GFA if its uncovered? Anyobody dealt with a similar dilema before?

thanks!

from what I understand, your walk up apartment would most likely be classified as a landed dwelling in URA's terms so balcony would be considered as part of GFA. it is strata because you do not totally own the piece of land the house is sitting on as it is shared between you and your downstairs neighbor and has no bearing on the house type classification.

best is check with URA to clarify since they are the only one who can tell you exactly what your house is classified as

roof top terrace will be counted as GFA regardless of whether it is covered or not as long as you have access to it. if the roof is only accessible for maintenance purpose, then it would be another matter.

Thanks snooze, it’s in line what I was expecting. I’m trying to contact URA to confirm, however it’s a lot harder than I thought, all their phone nrs end with an automated response and send me back to their website. 

Do you know how exactly the ‘maintanance only’ access looks? Let’s say I put aircon compressors or solar panels on the flat roof and build a door for access- where’s the line between maintanance only and full usage?

thx!

send an email to URA rather than call. it would be easier as the email would be routed to the correct department rather than you speaking to a call operator

"maintenance only" depends on how the roof is declared during the submission. if you are going to build a stair or door to access the flat roof and have them in your submission drawings, then you are indirectly telling URA that you are planning to make use of the roof as a useable space rather than just a roof even if you declare that the roof is not accessible except for maintenance.

Just thinking out loud...

the GFA issue shd not be a key concern for nw.

Walk up flats is a strata titled flat development. Need to chk if there is an active MCST in place. Any flat development that involves gfa issues need mcst endorsement. This can get very messy. If below neighbour is some blur aunty, then u are in luck, u can be the entire MCST. 

But the biggest show stopper is the structural plans. Most buildings from this era do not hv proper foundations or very strong structures. A PE might say hv to micropile and strengthen the below columns. Dun think below neighbours are going to be so accomodating. 

Next is FSB. Enlarging an attic may increase the “running distance” to the nearest escape staircase. Whether a QP want to sign off on this drawing is a seperate discussion. 

If all these legal proper way presents so many show stopping issues, might as well go full DIY renovation. GFA issues no longer relevant. 

We may see some impressive attics in SG. Usually those owners own entire building and redid the lower floor structures. 

Thanks snooze, feature invaluable info, still checking with ura, I did send them an email.

yoongf, there’s no mcst in this development, but yes the structure is something to consider. I know of 2 neighbours in vicinity that have build lofts, allegedly legally, so I’m hoping foundations are strong enough. Obviously loft will still have to be as lightweight as possible. As far as running distance to escape- I was hoping a skylight would do as an exit strategy, will need to discuss with engineer. Also I heard of people managing to get this point relaxed by using fireproof materials amd firealarms (in UK, not sure how BCA handles this here).

All things considered, I might have to make the plans a bit more modest, but have it built in a way I can easily expand it as DIY after project is complete. Within reason and keeping in mind structural integrity of course.

Hope your A&A journey has gone well!

As im planning to do something similar with my walk-up apartment in future, i'm curious as to how this conversion has or is turning out for you.
Were you able to make use of the roof as you originally intended to, considering the not-so-clear rules with regards to GFA calculation and the property being a landed (although strata) one? For me, if i were to convert the attic into a loft, I may have to do some reroofing which will be another hurdle as the adjacent unit shares the roof.

Would be great to hear from you and if there's anything that is not ideal to discuss here, I'll drop you a PM :D