Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bubblepearl

How Many Downlights Did U Use?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
As mentioned in the topic.

Personally..how much u think it is eluff for ur usage?

Personally it depends on how big is your flat. For my 3 room flat, i used 6 18W double tube downlights for my living room.. same goes for my masterroom. Very bright... more then enough...

This is where experience of an ID really counts.

There are many factors, such as colour of wall, colour of floor, whether lamps are 50cm or more from walls, whether glare is an issue, any odd corners, and the intended usage of the room. It is very easy to under provision.

I believe using E27 holders on 6 inch and above diameter downlights as that would give the owner the flexibility to change wattage easily. When not sure, install track lights, and get those lamps that can accept energy saving lamps.

Perhaps provide details of rooms here so that all can take a peek at yr lifestyle?

yoongf, my paint is not up yet...hmm..my place is a old 5room I type..therefore my ID say 10 PLC will be eluff...and now i am thinking of using 13w*2 (cheaper lah), 18w*2?

It also depends on how high your ceiling is, and how much you want your particular room to be litted up, and if you will have indirect wall lights, floor lamps. But let's say you ignore all the wall lights, floor lamps which are what gives you mood lighting. Just the bare ceiling down lights ... I would suggest that it's better to err on the conservative side, which is to have more than less. Make sure you stand in that room and visualise how your lifestyle in that room would be, for example, where would you sit to read? Where would you sit to use your PC, etc. Once you get this planned out, you will know how much light you want.

When I was still single, I bought a 2 br apartment and I told my ID I didn't want ANY downlights at all, because I like a bare ceiling. Mind you, also NO flourescent lights on the ceiling as well. What he did then was to give me a long wall light in a simple rectangular indent. This was my main source of lights. What I did was to install small low ground recessed wall lights for my living room.

In this present home, I have 4 single down lights for the dining room, and 4 single down lights for the living room. Please use even numbers of downlights. The important thing I find is that you need to get the electrician to wire your light controls properly. You must not have a situation where one light switch turns on and off ALL the lights in that space. What I do is to have 2 lights wired to one control. So I can determine how much light I want in that space, at a particular point in time.

In my mother's home, it's also 4 single downlights in each space. But the contractor advised larger watts because the space is very big. But we requested for 1 switch to operate one light. For example, when the maid is in her corner folding clothes or ironing, turning on one light to do her chores is just nice. She does not have to turn on ALL the lights. Likewise, when my mum's watching TV, she uses only one light to save electricity.

It's important to get enough, so you won't have shadows cast onto your furniture. You don't need an ID to do this. Ask your contractor or electrician. He would have done enough houses to advise you anyway.

Oh, one more thinking. I always buy downlights that have a tempered glass. Easy maintenance. No dust inside the lamp.

You should also decide whether you want white light or yellow light.

Sorry, if my terminology is all messed up. I speak as a layman.