Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

We had our place renovated for more than four months. Here is a whole list of unsatisfactory items:

1) Rude and defensive project manager
Has a whole lot of excuse for everything. Whenever we as homeowner bring up a question or issue, the project manager will come up with reasons to defend himself, everything instead of addressing the issue.

2) Do not adhere to what we agreed on
We specifically asked and agreed with the ID to have material A, but upon installation, they change to material B, and did not inform nor check with us if we are okay.

3) Brag that they give us FOC out of goodwill (things we don't agree on)
When we realized it is not material  A, we questioned the project manager, what we were told was "We think this is better, anyway it is FOC, we never charge you out of goodwill."

4) Create further damage when doing rectification
The subcontractor workers are terrible beyond words. 50% of the time damage other parts of the house while rectifying the fault we have. Resulted in even more visits to our place for next rectification work. Caused us to take many days of leave to be at our place so they can rectify.

5) Do not listen and assume they are always right
Told the project manager about problem I spotted since very early days of renovation, but it was turned a deaf ear. Turned out to be a major defect which required hacking, resulted in a substandard we had to accommodate. The project manager only told us this was "no choice". So mad at them, because I mentioned numerous times.

6) Chipped my tiles, refuse to change it
Instead of offering to change the tiles they chipped, they say they will use silicone to cover. Refuse to change. Even asked me to buy larger accessory to cover the chipped areas.

7) No full rectification, no final payment
The project manager refuse to come down to go through the final list of defects we prepared in Excel. We always uphold that we will pay once everything is completed. But the list of rectification is more than 35. They don't want to come see the list, instead threw us a lawyer letter saying we have no grounds to hold final payment.

No names will be mentioned here, if you want to know more, please drop me a PM.

Disclaimer: This post is to create awareness. No one should ever need to go through what I am going through.

Edited by OrangeSky

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
1 hour ago, Timeless07 said:

That's bad!

So how is your renovation now? Managed to get everything rectified?

Timeless07, they threw us lawyer letter mah, we just got our lawyer to reply them. They are still refusing to rectify. Don't understand why they don't rather spend the time rectifying then they can get the final payment, but they choose to act garang send lawyer letter. Seems like they are bad hearted and don't intend to finish everything in good faith. 

As home owners, all we want is just a smooth transition into our little nest after throwing in so much money into our renovation. But there will always be black sheeps regardless of industries who in the midst of chasing profits, throws all professionalism and ethics down the drain. But I still do believe that there are plenty of reliable ones around. Just have to be diligent and do our homework to minimise the risk.

What will be your plans for the items that need rectifications? Intending to leave it till everything is settled with your current ID?

Btw Tazy, are you looking for contractor's detail for your home reno?

On 8/4/2018 at 1:04 PM, Timeless07 said:

As home owners, all we want is just a smooth transition into our little nest after throwing in so much money into our renovation. But there will always be black sheeps regardless of industries who in the midst of chasing profits, throws all professionalism and ethics down the drain. But I still do believe that there are plenty of reliable ones around. Just have to be diligent and do our homework to minimise the risk.

What will be your plans for the items that need rectifications? Intending to leave it till everything is settled with your current ID?

Btw Tazy, are you looking for contractor's detail for your home reno?

Yeah, I will leave it for now till this issue is settled. Some rectifications will need major work, so I don't want to disrupt our lives for now. Can't imagine going through the hacking days again. Sigh.

There's no substantial review we could find on the web on this ID. I agree this is just a classic case of black sheep in the industry. I think why there are no reviews is because they threaten people to take down whenever they see anything incriminating them (speaking from first hand experience). We went with them because the design they offered is fantastic. We spoke to more than ten IDs, and their design is the best.

Btw, I think Tazy is the ID, cos he/she never comment on any other topics. They just wanna find out if it's them I'm talking about. I guessed it, so I never PM him/her the name of the ID. Apparently not a genuine homeowner looking to avoid terrible IDs.

Timeless, you're looking for contractor/ID?

@OrangeSkyhi, I'm not really actively posting in the forum but I do look at thread on renovation.i currently gotten an EA. As for ID, I just signed with Yujia Interior Design as we find the person very merticulous in quoting our place. We almost sign with another ID but this person from Yujia came back with a quotation which is 99% correct. Do note I did not met him, just throw him my idea and the old pictures of the units. I also met up with quite a number of ID as well.  Proble is my ID also do not have much review so hopefully your ID is not them. 

On 8/6/2018 at 12:30 PM, Tazy said:

@OrangeSkyhi, I'm not really actively posting in the forum but I do look at thread on renovation.i currently gotten an EA. As for ID, I just signed with Yujia Interior Design as we find the person very merticulous in quoting our place. We almost sign with another ID but this person from Yujia came back with a quotation which is 99% correct. Do note I did not met him, just throw him my idea and the old pictures of the units. I also met up with quite a number of ID as well.  Proble is my ID also do not have much review so hopefully your ID is not them. 

@Tazy I apologise, because my ID stalks me on my social media sharing app. I'm very sorry for saying that of you.

Anyway, my ID is not Yujia Interior Design. I'm happy that they get it right the first time! Wish you all the best in your renovation! But still want to remind you to protect yourself and your interest in every step of the way. The thing I did wrong is that I trusted them too much from the start. And started to be sloppy in my demands as a Client.

Tips is to ensure there is a defect and liability period. Always do a walkthrough. Keep a list. If possible, ask for a handover list. Sign off the defect list only when you're satisfied. Negotiate for a retention period. Google on latent defects which will happen at a much later stage. For my case, the final payment only state the completion of all works. It was very vague, try to be specific so that no one can play with words.

Edited by OrangeSky

@OrangeSky No lah. I gotten my home renovated by a contractor which I feel is pretty good. Thought if Tazy needs contacts can give him a ring or something.

But yeah, the hacking process is a nightmare with the noise and dust. Definitely a major work that requires proper planning. Hopefully your issue can resolve soon so that you can move on from this episode quickly.

5 hours ago, OrangeSky said:

@Tazy I apologise, because my ID stalks me on my social media sharing app. I'm very sorry for saying that of you.

Anyway, my ID is not Yujia Interior Design. I'm happy that they get it right the first time! Wish you all the best in your renovation! But still want to remind you to protect yourself and your interest in every step of the way. The thing I did wrong is that I trusted them too much from the start. And started to be sloppy in my demands as a Client.

Tips is to ensure there is a defect and liability period. Always do a walkthrough. Keep a list. If possible, ask for a handover list. Sign off the defect list only when you're satisfied. Negotiate for a retention period. Google on latent defects which will happen at a much later stage. For my case, the final payment only state the completion of all works. It was very vague, try to be specific so that no one can play with words.

Hi, thank your for your clarification. Actually why we can't write bad review of an ID? Shouldn't we warn others before they get caught in the same situation as us? Actually I'm going to write 1 soon for sky c  after I take back my deposit or if I manage to take back.... 

Edited by Tazy

@Tazy I saw quite a few posts to alert fellow home owners on these black sheeps here so I guess its these individual IDs that doesnt want their clients to "spoil" their reputation and affect their business.

However I also think we should also that these posts with a pinch of salt because you may never know its competitors trying to smear their reputation or because some home owners may have unrealistic expectations that these IDs are not able to match. Anyway we just need to try and do our own homework. :)

Yup. U are right. There's always 2 side to a coin. Hopefully there will be some measures to prevent all these. 

On 8/7/2018 at 5:28 PM, Tazy said:

Hi, thank your for your clarification. Actually why we can't write bad review of an ID? Shouldn't we warn others before they get caught in the same situation as us? Actually I'm going to write 1 soon for sky c  after I take back my deposit or if I manage to take back.... 

This part I also agree with you, like why can't I share? I feel as long as I keep it factual and not saying anything false or accusing. Plus, the things that I posted all included screenshots of conversation and pictures of said defect. But guess what, they are saying it's defamation. Nowadays, business always think they can anyhow say people defame. 

I feel as long as out intention is good, we should share. There are just too many unscrupulous businessman out there, we merely warn people out of goodwill.