Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
galliano

Metal roof for extensions

Need advise.

See pic.

Basically, in order to save $$$ and not redo the entire rear roof of my 2nd floor inter, my builder is suggesting to simple use metal sheet as roof for my room extension. My concern is heat and the sound of rain. Furthermore its my master bedroom. He mentioned that the metal roof is insulated, but i'm not sure how its done. With a straight metal roof (no ridges), he is ensuring that the height tapers down from 2.7m original to 2.55m (including false celing).

Costs of tearing down and redoing the entire rear roof is about 14k. The existing roof is quite new.

2018-09-03 23_10_59-PowerPoint Slide Show - [Presentation1].png

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I think your builder is suggesting using something like Klip Lok metal roofing materials. it won't be something like simple metal sheets.

These metal roof will be installed with insulation below for heat and sound proofing so it is ok. for my house I will also be having this type of metal roof as well and my master bedroom is in the attic.

1 hour ago, snoozee said:

I think your builder is suggesting using something like Klip Lok metal roofing materials. it won't be something like simple metal sheets.

These metal roof will be installed with insulation below for heat and sound proofing so it is ok. for my house I will also be having this type of metal roof as well and my master bedroom is in the attic.

He just sent me these pics. Looks very ‘old school’. Very concern. 

C1FD9B5B-E2CB-4471-BE4E-21741E609BBA.jpeg

C4DC33E9-3C01-4E80-891E-E700D62D19EC.jpeg

C6D49CDE-EDF1-4608-869A-F9AC64F58148.jpeg

these should be aluminum composite panels which are normally used for roof. my car porch roof would also be using something similar so as to minimise the sound when rain falls on the roof.

as long as the joints are all done properly and the flashing from the existing roof to the metal roof is done properly, it should be ok. aesthetics wise, it wouldn't be that nice as having a seamless roof all the way from the top of the roof all the way to the edge of your bedroom wall.

one concern I have is the very low gradient of this new metal roof. as the roof is not steep enough, you might get some water ponding issues due to water can't flow properly especially at the joints area if not done properly.

question is whether you want to save 10k to 12k to just do this metal roof (I'm assuming this metal roof is costing you 2k to 4k to do) or just spend the 14k to redo the entire roof. at least if you redo the entire roof, you have a bigger assurance that no leaks will happen and your room is well insulated from heat and sound for the next few decades. if you go with the metal roof extension, if any problems occur in future, you will have to spend $$$ to rectify the issues and might end up spending the same amount or even more than redoing the roof in the first place.

honestly, if it was me, I would just redo the entire roof. but it's your money so your call on what you want to do.

remember the saying, "penny wise, pound foolish".

Using diff roofing materials will look odd. 

Keep existing tile slope. Do a dormer roof over the extension area. Use same roofing materials.

can google images

dormer roof 

14 hours ago, yoongf said:

Using diff roofing materials will look odd. 

Keep existing tile slope. Do a dormer roof over the extension area. Use same roofing materials.

can google images

dormer roof 

Thanks but not too sure how dormer roof can be applied to my case cos i extending the entire back 2nd floor area.

Btw, do you have any roof recommendations for me to get a 2nd quotation?

image.png.27c939d5cd92f24bf3033376b1a4af1d.png

Hi, im reroofing my terrace house now with clay tiles.  Was considering klip lock, but went back to tiles for original look.  The company is www. tsh.com.sg.  Find the boss Richard is responsible and very experienced.  Just a home owner, no affliated with them.

That is a bad idea. Yes, it is cheaper, but there are a lot of problems with the metal roof. Our house was with a metal roof when we bought it, and for a year, we lived with him. It was so noisy when it rained. And in summer, when the sun was up, on the second floor, it was very hot because it does not protect you from the sun.
After we decided to change it to a slate roof. Hired this company https://nswslateroofing.com.au/ and can tell you that we are pleased. The price was reasonable, and the quality is excellent.