Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Chunky Monkey

Design Headache - Kitchen Mobile Unit With Drawers

My husband has decided that he wants all the kitchen modules to be on castor (wheels) with locks, so that when we have a home party, we can move these individual pieces of kitchen cabinets around to maximise the space.

Challenge is - a mobile unit will tip forward if you open up all the drawers (displacement of weight), and it in itself is a hazard. The safest thing to do, is of course to have built-in shelves, but I mostly prefer drawers for ease of finding things.

Does anyone have a suggestion what I can get the carpenter to do, to stablise the mobile units, so that the cabinet will not tip forward?

Thanks in advance

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

how about those with two legs infront and two wheels behind? when you move it it'll be like moving a wheel-barrow. but with the legs infront, when you open the drawers it won't tip forward...

actually my fiance is interested in such a kitchen cabinet too :~ think he will click well with your hubby, haha..

i have seen in a magazine before that there is this kitchen cabinet that can make shift.. i will go home and find it :) i remember it will cost a lot though. do pm me if i forget to reply! :(

My husband has decided that he wants all the kitchen modules to be on castor (wheels) with locks, so that when we have a home party, we can move these individual pieces of kitchen cabinets around to maximise the space.

Challenge is - a mobile unit will tip forward if you open up all the drawers (displacement of weight), and it in itself is a hazard. The safest thing to do, is of course to have built-in shelves, but I mostly prefer drawers for ease of finding things.

Does anyone have a suggestion what I can get the carpenter to do, to stablise the mobile units, so that the cabinet will not tip forward?

Thanks in advance

That's really interesting. Assuming you can even move the cabinets to begin with, once they are loaded with stuff.

Thanks in advance

think there are quite a few companies that do modular kitchen cabinets

can check out heirloom at balestier rd and the one at millenia walk

but they will really cost :)

think there are quite a few companies that do modular kitchen cabinets

can check out heirloom at balestier rd and the one at millenia walk

but they will really cost :unsure:

most carpentry company can do the modular kitchen cabinet. But because its custom made, they tend to charge more even though the material does not differ as much from fix cabinet. I dare say this becos i have designed my own modular cabinet for 4 ft + and quote came back is always 1k+. but going by pfr (ave $90-$120), it should cost abt $500. For the initial quest, I think if drawers is to be used, topping should not happen if the drawers were opened one at a time. The wheels should also not be too deep in. Also to consider is to contruct with drawers that can be open via opposite sides since its mobile( jus a suggestion).

I guess it will cost more for the larger surface area of lamination, cos you dun wish to see wood surface and wanted some form of protection.

Thanks in advance

Firstly, the drawer unit should not be too big so that you are not able to put too heavy item in it. The drawers' depth cannot be any deeper than the depth of its cabinet, so I do not see the problem of hazardness. If you worry, request the carpenter to use heavier, thicker and solid ply for the base, which it must be so as it is mobile and on castor. PM me if you need further suggestion or recommendation

hi hi .. in the end i really forgot to come back to this thread.. ;p

the brand that does the mobile kitchen unit is www.bulthaup.com/ ... 5 digit damage, probably as much as your whole house reno.

hi hi .. in the end i really forgot to come back to this thread.. ;p

the brand that does the mobile kitchen unit is www.bulthaup.com/ ... 5 digit damage, probably as much as your whole house reno.

What a rip off? They employed celebrities for carpentry works?