Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
AlanQuah

Expanding the width of the windows

Hi want to check if you need to get approval to open or increase the width of existing windows of your house.

This is what I found, just don't know how to interpret it.

Doors and Windows

Planning permission is not required for replacing or changing the windows and doors if:

1. there is no increase in GFA;
  2. there is no reduction in setback; and
  3. it does not involve changing the position of the window.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hello, I have a similar question - current window is a small (say 0.5m by 1 m) and faces the front of the house. I prefer to make it much much bigger from an aesthetic point of view. For the sake of argument, what if I make it almost floor to ceiling? Dunno if that equates to changing the position in that case?

17 hours ago, phoebet7 said:

Hello, I have a similar question - current window is a small (say 0.5m by 1 m) and faces the front of the house. I prefer to make it much much bigger from an aesthetic point of view. For the sake of argument, what if I make it almost floor to ceiling? Dunno if that equates to changing the position in that case?

Full height windows would most likely require a PE to certify. Either your window glass is safety glass which can act as a watery barrier or you install a railing in front of the full height glass window. This is to prevent risk of fall from heights in the event the glass breaks. 
of cos you can choose not to have a PE to be involved if it’s just an A&A but the responsibility is on you if anything should happen to the full height window’s glass

Suppose the product has the wrong dimensions due to the buyer, who decided to take measurements himself and provided the manufacturer with incorrect information. In that case, there is no point in writing a claim. It is necessary to correct the situation and turn to some craftsmen like these joinerysolutionssw.co.uk. This is feasible in cases where the window opening is larger than the window by about 10 cm in any of the planes. There are special add-on profiles for such situations, allowing you to increase the frame. In artificially increasing the size of the window by connecting to the binding of the extensions, you must assume that the thickness of the joint on each side of the opening should be 2 cm.