Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
purpledino

Builder vs ID - landed 1st floor extension plus reno

Hi I know there is a thread on ID vs builder vs architect but I still have some questions so I’m posting a new theread.

just got a 70s inter terrace for which I would like the following done - extend first floor built up by about 25 sqm, shift toilet fitting position, major internal reno 

I contacted my previous ID who did a very very good job with my condo reno but he is a one man outfit.

would actually like to continue with him as he provides very good service and follow up. And he offers good suggestions to reduce costs. However not sure if this is too much for him to handle (given there is extension). Should I be engaging a builder instead?

Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

It’s your own call on whether to engage hm back or not. I think most IDs have not much knowledge of landed and the requirements unless they have handled it before. 
Of cos one can always learn on the go. But if there’s any screw ups, you are the one going to pay for it.

Anyway, for extensions, you will need a QP to do submissions for you and an ID can’t do that. A builder also can’t do the submission but he would most likely get a QP he normally works with to do the submission 

you can engage your ID to do the interior design, but ultimately you will still need a builder and QP for the job. 

If you only engage him for ideas and purely design purposes it may work

but you’ll need a builder with a good site manager

my original ID had great ideas but he’s never done houses and it does show. Nevertheless he had some very good ideas which we used

Even if no need submission you should still get a PE to design the proper structure. The last thing you would want is to have issues with the structure of the extension.

whether you engage the PE yourself of through the builder, make sure you see the drawings which are endorsed by a PE for any structural work

You mentioned that you are looking at extending the 1st storey by 25sqm. As long as the increase in GFA is more than 20sqm, it will be considered as A&A works and you will need to submit to URA.

BCA can be exempted if it has a lightweight roof, but for safety concerns yes there should definitely be a PE who designs the structure.

On 12/26/2020 at 3:42 PM, purpledino said:

Thanks.

correct me if I’m wrong but I thought for single storey lean to extension with lightweight roof, BCA says no need to submit for approval?

On 12/29/2020 at 12:50 PM, IceEyez said:

You mentioned that you are looking at extending the 1st storey by 25sqm. As long as the increase in GFA is more than 20sqm, it will be considered as A&A works and you will need to submit to URA.

BCA can be exempted if it has a lightweight roof, but for safety concerns yes there should definitely be a PE who designs the structure.

Yes I contacted URA about it as well. They say anything above 20sqm needs a development application. Anyone knows how much it costs to submit URA development application?

1 hour ago, purpledino said:

Yes I contacted URA about it as well. They say anything above 20sqm needs a development application. Anyone knows how much it costs to submit URA development application?

A&A is $3210

Reconstruction and erection of new house is $6420

you need a QP to submit for you. Either registered architect or professional engineer 

5 hours ago, snoozee said:

A&A is $3210

Reconstruction and erection of new house is $6420

you need a QP to submit for you. Either registered architect or professional engineer 

Thanks.

some more questions:

A&A = $3210 + how much QP fees + other fees, just to clear it legally? I am just wondering if it is worth it. I can skip all these fees and do a lean to extension under 20sqm, but ideally I would like to do a 27sqm extension but wondering if the added cost is worth it.

Lodgement application - URA also says approval can come in the form of a lodgement application. Is that the same as plan lodgement, and what is the difference between this and A+A? As on URA website it is much cheaper at $749.

thanks.

QP fees cost depend on who you engage. 

the lodgement application is done when the job is very straight forward and QP is sure that all plans will comply with regulations. Basically the QP takes responsibility for the compliance rather than having URA check on the plans.