Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
btzk

Cost of awning installation

Hi All,

Looking to install shelter for side and back yard. Anyone has the most recent costing for different options (Polycarbonate, composite, trellis, etc...). Would also appreciate if there are any recommendations for contractors in this field. 

Dimensions are as such:

Side 2m in width by 10m in length

Back 2m in width by 8m in length

Thanks in advance

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

note that if you install fixed awning of 2m wide to cover the rear and sides, it is considered illegal works. the max you can go is up to 1m from the boundary line. meaning if your wall is 2m away from boundary, your awning can only be 1m wide.

please also consider your neighbour as well. if your awning is 2m wide, water from rain will flow into your neighbour's house (if you have one sharing the party wall). i'm sure you wouldn't like them to complain that water is splashing into their house from your awning when it rains heavily.

Hi Snoozee,

Thanks for highlighting this. I have already taken into considerations on the 2m set back for both side and back yard. All dimensions given are within legal boundaries. 

good that the legal setback has been considered.

just make sure that the structure is professionally designed by an engineer. the last thing you want is to have the awning collapsing and causing injury due to poor design.

On 2/18/2021 at 8:56 AM, snoozee said:

note that if you install fixed awning of 2m wide to cover the rear and sides, it is considered illegal works. the max you can go is up to 1m from the boundary line. meaning if your wall is 2m away from boundary, your awning can only be 1m wide.

If i install an awning that can go 2 m wide to the wall but day to day (usually) keep in retracted at 1 m, is that against the law? Of course some days eg heavy rain, i may extend fully...

On 2/18/2021 at 10:31 AM, snoozee said:

good that the legal setback has been considered.

just make sure that the structure is professionally designed by an engineer. the last thing you want is to have the awning collapsing and causing injury due to poor design.

We need an engineer to install awning? i thought there are suppliers who can just install...

32 minutes ago, Topline said:

If i install an awning that can go 2 m wide to the wall but day to day (usually) keep in retracted at 1 m, is that against the law? Of course some days eg heavy rain, i may extend fully...

it's not illegal but your neighbor will not be happy that your rain water is being directed to their house. the worst thing that can happen is to be at loggerheads with your immediate neighbour.

retractable awnings shouldn't need to involve a PE. if needed, the supplier's own PE should be doing the design and calculation instead of you engaging one directly.

• Like 1

Looking at options for the back of the house and am wondering how long can retractable awnings last.... if i need a long stretch of wall to be covered, is it better to get a single retractable awning to cover that entire length or should i break up and have two of more retractable awnings to cover that stretch?

lasting is one thing. maintenance is another. i've seen retractable awnings from other houses around my area which are at least 10 years old. but due to the lack of maintenance, there are unsightly algae/moss on the awnings.

how many awnings to put depends on the model of the awning. there is a maximum span so if your length is too long, you will have to break it up into 2 or more awnings in order to cover the length you require.