Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Sighhh...my son suddenly down with HFMD tis evening :rolleyes:

Teacher found mouth ulcers, rashes starting to appear on his hands and feet. One of his fingers even had a 'pok'. Jus now i found another bigger one. Brought him to c doc and confirm is onset of HFMD...stay home a week

Anyone has any idea if there's any special food or drinks i can give my son so he doesn't get worse? Doc said no treatment one leh. Let it run its course.

What if he scratch his 'pok'...will it spread? Any idea how to prevent it from worsening? What must i take note of?

Btw when i changed his diapers just now, i found a lot of dark red rashes at the buttocks. At first i thot its nappy rash, but now im not so sure cos its really v red and v unlike his normal nappy rash :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Oh dear...the main thing is to keep him from being dehydrated. Plenty of water, glucose, ribeina, rice water, barley,... Some people swear by ginger and sweet potatoes to cure viruses. To keep him from scratching, calamine lotion is supposed to relieve the itch. My in-laws, however, believe in medicated oils. Do take care.

Just for info:

According to a Mind your Body article,

"A person with HFMD usually have the following symptoms:

- Fever for two to three days

- Sorethroat and runny nose

- Rashes (flat or raised red spots, some with blisters) on palms, soles or buttocks

- Mouth ulcers

- Poor appetite

- Vomitting and diarrhoea

- Tiredness and weakness"

"HFMD is usually mild and self-limiting. Treatment can be given to relieve the symptoms but there is no vaccine for the prevention or treatment of HFMD".

"Children infected with HFMD should:

- Stay at home and avoid contact with other children until htey have recovered

- Not swim until six weeks after the onset of illness

- Stay away from school until the fever sig one and a doctor says they are welll enough to go back"

Edited by Homeowner

The rashes-like at the buttocks r one of the symptom of HFMD (see 2nd link below). Unfortunately, there is no specific treatment is available for HFMD. Only symptomatic treatment is given to provide relief from fever, aches, or pain from the mouth ulcers.

Additonal info' on HFMD:

http://www.tts.edu.sg/pdf/Services/Medical...outhdisease.pdf

http://www.kkh.com.sg/PatientHealthLibrary...nesses/HFMD.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/enterovirus/hfhf.htm

Oh dear...the main thing is to keep him from being dehydrated. Plenty of water, glucose, ribeina, rice water, barley,... Some people swear by ginger and sweet potatoes to cure viruses. To keep him from scratching, calamine lotion is supposed to relieve the itch. My in-laws, however, believe in medicated oils. Do take care.

Just for info:

According to a Mind your Body article,

"A person with HFMD usually have the following symptoms:

- Fever for two to three days

- Sorethroat and runny nose

- Rashes (flat or raised red spots, some with blisters) on palms, soles or buttocks

- Mouth ulcers

- Poor appetite

- Vomitting and diarrhoea

- Tiredness and weakness"

"HFMD is usually mild and self-limiting. Treatment can be given to relieve the symptoms but there is no vaccine for the prevention or treatment of HFMD".

"Children infected with HFMD should:

- Stay at home and avoid contact with other children until htey have recovered

- Not swim until six weeks after the onset of illness

- Stay away from school until the fever sig one and a doctor says they are welll enough to go back"

Yah he's sooo pitiful. Last nite couldn't sleep...he keep turning and crying. Jus now i went to stock up on ribena, honey, waterchestnut drinks...sighh he doesnt seem to like the waterchestnut drink...sighhh in fact he dun wana drink water. i tried to force him to drink but he keep pushing it away...cham lor

Ic...thks for yr info! so the spots in the buttocks oso one of the symptoms lah...nowonder it looked sooo different

His appetite really v bad. Ate a bit of bread, totally dun wan the milk...ate raisins

Sighhhh...he jus had diarrhea. do i need to take him to c doc again to get diarrhea medicine? or mayb i dun give him milk...jus give him other drinks and soya formula?

i found plenty of spots forming on his right lap, a few on the chest, elbow...duno leh...suddenly red spots appearing everywhere. is this normal? is it really HFMD or might it be sth else? how come everywhere oso got red spots?

he doesnt seem to hv fever...do i need to feed him with fever medicine jus in case? i getting very worried now that it seems to hv worsen so fast

One usually treats the symptoms, so if there is no fever, there is no need for fever medication. But you should keep checking if the fever develops or not. If the diarrhea persists, you may want to bring him back to the doctor.

The disease will take its course. In the meanwhile, you should start washing and disinfecting his toys so that they will not carry remnants of the virus.

Does he like ice-cream? Maybe you can try some popsicle sticks? If he doesn't have any appetite, don't force or else he may throw up. Maybe you can boil some thin gruel/ porridge mixed together with bovril? Even if he can't take the porridge, at least feed him the rice water so that he doesn't dehydrate. Yogurt? That's soft and many are flavoured and sweetened. Juice may also help hydration...just make sure that the juice is not too acidic e.g. orange juice, which may prolong the ulcers in the mouth. Maybe a good one is vegetable juice. Ribeina or anything with water e.g. glucose is supposed to help the body absorb the water. Best wishes.

One usually treats the symptoms, so if there is no fever, there is no need for fever medication. But you should keep checking if the fever develops or not. If the diarrhea persists, you may want to bring him back to the doctor.

The disease will take its course. In the meanwhile, you should start washing and disinfecting his toys so that they will not carry remnants of the virus.

Ic. Yah I brought him see doc again cos got panicked heee

Lucky oso cos in the evening he had diarrhea again…so I gave him diarrhea medicine

Oh dear…din knw need to wash the toys. Do I need to do it everyday? Wash with soap or plain water is ok? How to disinfect? Use dettol? :unsure:

How abt soft toys that cant wash? Can I jus wipe with clean cloth?

How abt other hse stuff? Do I need to clean everythg? I pengsan liao :)

Oh dear…do I need to go back to his childcare center and take his mattress cover home to wash b4 he return there after he’s well? Hmmm I suppose better do it

Wah din imagine sooo mah fen

Thks for yr advice!

Edited by rebtang

Does he like ice-cream? Maybe you can try some popsicle sticks? If he doesn't have any appetite, don't force or else he may throw up. Maybe you can boil some thin gruel/ porridge mixed together with bovril? Even if he can't take the porridge, at least feed him the rice water so that he doesn't dehydrate. Yogurt? That's soft and many are flavoured and sweetened. Juice may also help hydration...just make sure that the juice is not too acidic e.g. orange juice, which may prolong the ulcers in the mouth. Maybe a good one is vegetable juice. Ribeina or anything with water e.g. glucose is supposed to help the body absorb the water. Best wishes.

thks for your suggestions! yah he quite bad appetite...only keep drinking honey/chrysanthemum tea...i gv him waterchestnut but he din like it. He really v terrible one leh...he doesnt eat the porridge or rice water that i boil for him, not even the soup but he finished the carrots. so gave him all the sweet drinks...but i diluted it heee

later i bought banana cake and he ate it...though i not sure whether he could take it cos he was hvg diarrhea. i some more gave him raisins and it came out quite undigested

Soft- boiled eggs with light soy sauce is also an easy to do/ eat dish for sick children.

sighhh u wont believe it...he's sooo picky that he doesnt even eat eggs...and i had to force egg tarts and mango puddings into his mouth cos he jus dun wana try it out :unsure:

Edited by rebtang

SIGHHH...i woke up tis morning with my fingers quite painful. a closer look at my fingers-i found a few red spots on a few fingers n my palm

cham loh...m i infected as well?? hmmm thot doc say tis is rare...

since no treatment involved...no need c doc lah ho? hmmm i better drink more water myself

cham loh...do i need to quarantine myself at home?? i suppose i do but i need to go out buy stuff to cook on daily basis leh cos the landlord's fridge is spoiled, so i cant buy a few days' stuff and store it in the fridge. my hubby in bangkok til tis wkend, so im home alone with my boy. wht can i do?? i cant be eating maggi mee/porridge lunch n dinner the rest of the wk??

SIGHHH...i woke up tis morning with my fingers quite painful. a closer look at my fingers-i found a few red spots on a few fingers n my palm

cham loh...m i infected as well?? hmmm thot doc say tis is rare...

since no treatment involved...no need c doc lah ho? hmmm i better drink more water myself

cham loh...do i need to quarantine myself at home?? i suppose i do but i need to go out buy stuff to cook on daily basis leh cos the landlord's fridge is spoiled, so i cant buy a few days' stuff and store it in the fridge. my hubby in bangkok til tis wkend, so im home alone with my boy. wht can i do?? i cant be eating maggi mee/porridge lunch n dinner the rest of the wk??

oh dear...do take care ! HFMD does spread to adults..my friend got it from her nephew a few years back...

Can your in-laws/parents come over and help out ?

for food, don't serve it hot to your son because the ulcers would be painful. You can also try jelly or cool barley water. Must ensure he drinks lots of water since he is having diarrhea too...

oh dear...do take care ! HFMD does spread to adults..my friend got it from her nephew a few years back...

Can your in-laws/parents come over and help out ?

for food, don't serve it hot to your son because the ulcers would be painful. You can also try jelly or cool barley water. Must ensure he drinks lots of water since he is having diarrhea too...

ohhh...so got similar case

cannot leh...no one to help me cos both my in-laws n parents r in KL. anyway they oso got their own health problems...so nvrm

ok...wil take note. ahhh jelly is good! ok thks

Oh dear…din knw need to wash the toys. Do I need to do it everyday? Wash with soap or plain water is ok? How to disinfect? Use dettol? :bow:

How abt soft toys that cant wash? Can I jus wipe with clean cloth?

How abt other hse stuff? Do I need to clean everythg? I pengsan liao :notti:

Oh dear…do I need to go back to his childcare center and take his mattress cover home to wash b4 he return there after he’s well? Hmmm I suppose better do it

Thks for yr advice!

Suggest that you focus on looking after the child first. Your son is most important.

When he is better, then maybe you can get a bottle of disinfectant (I got Milton solution from the hospital pharmacy) or the spray types e.g. Lysol from the supermarkets and disinfect the toys. What I did with Milton: mix a pail of disfectant according to instructions and throw all the plastic stuff in. For soft toys, wipe with a cloth soak in the disinfectant. Maybe if you get the spray sort, it might be easier. Just line up all the toys and spray. Take care.

Suggest that you focus on looking after the child first. Your son is most important.

When he is better, then maybe you can get a bottle of disinfectant (I got Milton solution from the hospital pharmacy) or the spray types e.g. Lysol from the supermarkets and disinfect the toys. What I did with Milton: mix a pail of disfectant according to instructions and throw all the plastic stuff in. For soft toys, wipe with a cloth soak in the disinfectant. Maybe if you get the spray sort, it might be easier. Just line up all the toys and spray. Take care.

Yah ok

Icic thks for your advice! errr sorreee i really v blur...the disinfectant is sort of 'edible' one is it? cos my son stil loves to put thgs in his mouth