Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Jack L

Roof top aircons with pipe running through the middle of the roof?

I am thinking to put aircons on the roof top and have the pipes running through the middle of the roof (big roof and running through edges is bit too far) for a new build of semi-D. An aircon seller said can, but no sure whether it causes issues like leaking in the long term. 

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

what kind of roof do you have?

putting the compressors in the middle of the roof would definitely be a risk for leaks in future especially if you need to punch a hole in the roof for the pipes to go through. Also maintenance might be a issue as well especially if your roof is not normally accessible. Do note that technically you should not exceed your allowed height of the building and this may include the aircon compressor being required to be within the allowed envelope.

For Semi-D, you could build an aircon ledge at the side such that the compressor is located there and then use some screens to conceal the compressors.

It's a flat roof with a small gradient. Yes, the leak is a concern. On the other hand, there are many pros of putting the aircons on the roof like good circulation of heats, less noise. 

flat roof is RC or metal?

the pros you listed can be achieved by having a proper located aircon ledge. also compressors are not that noisy these days. I have aircon compressors at the aircon ledge on my attic which is just outside my bedroom. can't hear anything at all when the compressors are turned on.
the main issue of locating the compressors on the roof is maintenance. how are the workers going to access your roof? if you really want to locate them on the roof, get your main con to put in anchor points for life lines so that the workers can secure themselves while up on your roof.

also when your aircon breaks down, how are you planning to get the compressor down from the roof? are you going to hire a crane? note that crane costs is calculated by the hour and can be up to 1k per hour depending on what type of crane is needed to reach the top of your roof.

Thanks, snooze. The roof is RC. Can check with you, a multi-split outdoor unit could weigh more than 60KG, can it be put on the ledge without a crane? 

58 minutes ago, Jack L said:

Thanks, snooze. The roof is RC. Can check with you, a multi-split outdoor unit could weigh more than 60KG, can it be put on the ledge without a crane? 

can be done. 2 men can do it already as long as the ledge can be easily accessed from inside the house. even if want to mount the compressor outside a high rise building can be done by man. last time I had aircon installers mount a 50+kg compressor for my flat outside on steel bracket through the window.