Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Olivoil

One ring to rule them all!

When I was about 10 I remember fantasising about swapping the boring bibles in church for the Lord of the Rings.

Well, here's the Dean of Canterbury reading this during morning prayer:

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Has anyone else come across the use of LOTR during a service? This isn't just a passing mention, he even name checks the third Elf Lord, Círdan without batting an eyelid, something even I couldn't have done.

How about other fantasy literature? I imagine Narnia might get some mentions, but to be quoted so extensively?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The first time when I read the book, I was impressed. The characters were great the places were amazing. I enjoyed every single moment of the book. Many friends recommended watching the movie, but I decided to read the book, more like a challenge. I loved many characters from the book, but the most I enjoyed Gil-galad. He was courageous, and he had different skills and abilities. If someone asked me who is my favorite character, I would say Gil-Galad without any doubt. If you want to find more information about him, well, I recommend you to use https://www.thetolkienforum.com/wiki/Gil-galad.