Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
xwih

Contractor's License Suspended

hi..

i've recently engaged a contractor to reno my 4room HDB and already signed the contract.

but later found out that the license of this contractor has been suspended by HDB.

i tried to talk to the contractor, but he insisted on continuing the renovation and said that he will use other company's license to request for the permit.

and if i were to cancel the contract, then i'll have to pay 30% of the total renovation cost

eventhough the actual renovation work has not started. even the drawing is not started yet.

my question is:

1. is this contractor allowed to continue renovation? legally?

2. is he allowed to use sister company to apply for license?

please give me some advice..

i don't want to continue working with this kind of contractor and definately don't want to pay 30%

if possible i want to get back my deposit !

cheers..

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

wow..

i dun think you have tat much choice here since you oredy sign the contract. if you forfeit you lose so why not let the contractor do atleast 30% of your reno cost. see if he really sincere want to reno your place or con u.

then again why the heck hdb suspend like that.. hmm i think you better check with hdb.

gd luck!

oh dear ! fr me, i would be wary to go ahead with the contractor. talk to HDB and also CASE to see if it is against the contract.

oh dear ! fr me, i would be wary to go ahead with the contractor. talk to HDB and also CASE to see if it is against the contract.

Do you mind to share the ID name?

so that the rest of us will be wary...

Thanks

I strongly advise not to let the contractor touch your flat. Its illegal to let them continue working on your flat knowing that they do not have licence. You can get fined by HDB for that - don't risk it.

As for your liabilities: If at the point of signing, they still have licence and later suspended, you should have the right to void the contract given the change in situation. Even if the contractor was suspended right from the beginning, if you can prove that they had misrepresented themselves to be a licenced contractor, you still have a case to fight.

Even if you lose your deposit in the end, I think its still better than getting fined by HDB for engaging unauthorised contractor, worse if they do any unauthorised works, there is ANOTHER fine slapped on you. Emphasise again - DO NOT allow an unlicenced contractor to work in your flat just because of the deposit, totally not worth it at all.

hi..

i've recently engaged a contractor to reno my 4room HDB and already signed the contract.

but later found out that the license of this contractor has been suspended by HDB.

i tried to talk to the contractor, but he insisted on continuing the renovation and said that he will use other company's license to request for the permit.

and if i were to cancel the contract, then i'll have to pay 30% of the total renovation cost

eventhough the actual renovation work has not started. even the drawing is not started yet.

my question is:

1. is this contractor allowed to continue renovation? legally?

2. is he allowed to use sister company to apply for license?

please give me some advice..

i don't want to continue working with this kind of contractor and definately don't want to pay 30%

if possible i want to get back my deposit !

cheers..

how much deposit have you paid?

if you dun mind forgoing the deposit, the contractor can't do anything to you

coz he himself had breached the contract first i.e. the contract states that he IS a licenced contractor. so now that he's not, the contract should be null and void.

however, getting back your deposit would mean going to small claims and go through all the hassle :D

1. a hdb licence is required for renovation of hdb flats. legally they can do renovation works as long as they are registered as a company. for hdb flat owners, it is their duty to look for a licenced contractor. so if anything happened, it's the owners' fault not the contractor's.

2. technically speaking, the answer is NO. but it's a rather common industrial practice and i believe HDB is aware but not doing anything.

end of the day, if you dun feel comfortable just tell the contractor so

if he ask for 30% tell him that he breached the contract first.

you had signed based on the fact that he IS a hdb licenced contractor.

if he insist that he can borrow the licence, tell him you'd rather give the business to the licence-holder :bangwall:

if he insist that he can borrow the licence, tell him you'd rather give the business to the licence-holder :bangwall:

Erm, likelihood is that the contractor, after being suspended, quickly go register another so-called "sister company" (maybe under wife's name or something) in order to get another licence and continue working.

If this is true, totally not recommended at all - very shadowy... :D:D

thanks all for the reply..

i'm not sure if i can post the ID here.. all i can say that it's somewhere near ikea in alexandra road..

after reading some of the thread in this forum i found out that this company is quite famous for being a bully...

i paid the deposit for $1000

i have thought of forgoing the 1000, but they insisted me to pay 30% if i cancel the contract.

also thingking of going to CASE but afraid that they will bite back

i'm not sure if i can post the ID here.. all i can say that it's somewhere near ikea in alexandra road..

after reading some of the thread in this forum i found out that this company is quite famous for being a bully...

i have thought of forgoing the 1000, but they insisted me to pay 30% if i cancel the contract.

You can just pick up the phone and call CASE to enquire about such cases, and what are your rights. :notti:

One question, if the contractor insists that you pay 30% and you refused, what can they do to you?

The money is still in your pocket, and you are at the upper hand.

One question, if the contractor insists that you pay 30% and you refused, what can they do to you?

:notti::D:unsure:

that's quite true...

just afraid that this guy will use that contract and sue me and demand 30%.. so in the end will have to pay more if i lose. :notti:

i know i'm being pessimistic. but after reading so many horror story in this forum... it's hard not to think this way

You can just pick up the phone and call CASE to enquire about such cases, and what are your rights. :notti:

thanks zirhk3355.

Will definately do that

:D

that's quite true...

just afraid that this guy will use that contract and sue me and demand 30%.. so in the end will have to pay more if i lose. :D

i know i'm being pessimistic. but after reading so many horror story in this forum... it's hard not to think this way

call CASE first lor before your final decision.

hmm..near ikea...let me guess - the firm that looks more like a roti prata shop? :notti: