Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
xwih

Contractor's License Suspended

Good Luck to you. Jiao you!:):good:

Thanks Cantona7

got call from CASE today.... but was not a good news.

The contractor said that if we are not confortable with his current company, we can choose his other 4 company which are not suspended by HDB to do the reno.

If i don't want to do that, then they will hire a lawyer and settle this in court.

i even asked the opinion of CASE. and she told me that it's better to choose other company under him since we have paid the deposit anyway, rather than go to court and waste time and money... :)

but the thing is... the contractor was not honest to me in the first place, and that is why i'm cancelling the contract! why should i choose other company under him?

anyway.... does anyone know how much does it cost to hire a lawyer for this kind of case?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

URGH ! Can someone pls point me to an issue that CASE actually resolves ?!

Anyway, for me i tink i would rather lose the money. bt how much money does it involve ?

URGH ! Can someone pls point me to an issue that CASE actually resolves ?!

Anyway, for me i tink i would rather lose the money. bt how much money does it involve ?

will be around 5K

One suggestion is to scale down your reno to about 5k. For the rest of the reno, get another contractor to do it.

Make sure you receive all reno permits and what is stated in the permit is what he is going to carry out.

One suggestion is to scale down your reno to about 5k. For the rest of the reno, get another contractor to do it.

Make sure you receive all reno permits and what is stated in the permit is what he is going to carry out.

well, we did discussed this with the contractor before.. and got a negative reply

we requested to only do the toilet, but he pointed out that we have to either pay the cancelation fee for other item or sign another contract wth them that we will not engage another contractor to do those items

guess i'm dealing with a barbarian in a civilized city

In that case, just go on with the reno and settle it as fast you can. So then you can move on. Just treat it as your luck.

But you will have better luck next time!!

Thanks Cantona7

got call from CASE today.... but was not a good news.

The contractor said that if we are not confortable with his current company, we can choose his other 4 company which are not suspended by HDB to do the reno.

If i don't want to do that, then they will hire a lawyer and settle this in court.

i even asked the opinion of CASE. and she told me that it's better to choose other company under him since we have paid the deposit anyway, rather than go to court and waste time and money... :P

but the thing is... the contractor was not honest to me in the first place, and that is why i'm cancelling the contract! why should i choose other company under him?

anyway.... does anyone know how much does it cost to hire a lawyer for this kind of case?

CASE is really the toothless tiger.

The simple fact is that your contract is with this company, why should you accept another company to do it?? Unless this is agreed in the contract, otherwise don't agree to it! Com'on, they screwed up in their licence, they should be graceful enough to back off.

This is the same for every industry; you take mrt, got service failure, either you get a refund or you accept the bus ride. I once kana a movie disruption at GV cuz the projector spoilt; the manager also came in and offer to refund, or for use to proceed to next cinema to watch. Its fundamental - you screwed up, you must allow the customer to walk away. Period.

Thus, I seriously don't think they have any case to fight at all, I recommend you push it all the way to small claims. Heck, its only $3.8k - that's all you will lose. You let them carry on reno in your flat, you will surely regret it. Now that the relationship is so bad, do you really think they will do a proper job for you??

Consider this: You are risking your DREAM FLAT to save $3.8k, which is not even confirmed that you have to compensate yet?? Com'on! Please don't succumb to their pressure tactics!!

If you need any help, I dun mind looking at your documents to comment further. I am no lawyer, but let's just say I have some experience in such matters... :yamseng:

i would have just given them the cancellation fee and get on with my reno. safer that way i tink..

Why pay when the case had not gone on trial yet? There's a good chance that you may win. I would suggest to get on with the reno and leave this case alone. They want to sue, let them come. If they win (God be blind), its still the same amount, $3.8k. So why pay now?

Its very straightforward case, guaranteed don't have any further costs like court fees or legal fees, whatever...

Hi Xwih,

FYI, if u are getting a new ID/contractor again better u tell him the situtation cos if you sign another new contract with him, u will be bond to two existing contract at the same time.

My advise is to wait for CASE to treat ur contract void or wait for ur existing contractor to give u a black & white letter to state that they are nt pursuing this contract anymore.

The liability for this case is only up to $3.8k - if we are already prepared to pay, then can move on with our lives and do the reno.

Why delay our own stuff for as*holes like this?? Reno is supposed to be a happy occasion...

Hi Xwih,

Think nw u are abit confuse and furious over these issues :P , these happen to me before and we were really stress out that time esp my wify having sleepless nights. She even propsed to pay them the compensation and get on with a new id however we didnt give in so easily cos why shld we paid them where they didnt ever perform as per the contract stated. I even standby $6k to fight the case if they wan to bring up to the court. :unsure:

For ur case I believe you stand an upper hand so my advise is to stand firm and dont let these contractors push u ard. :thumbs up: It really require alot of patience and supports from ur family. But ultimately the decision still go to you, we are here to kaipoh and of course wish you all the best. 8|

But can't the contract be buy over from another company?

I have a collegue who did her reno long time ago, and when I'm looking for one, I've asked her.

Her case: sign up with A firm but A firm dunno what happen, it wind-up, sell contract to B firm. And they still need to proceed with contract cos contract is a contract of service for your reno needs and B firm is able to fulfil at those condition, so there is both parties consideration.

Unless you can proved you enter the contract because you like the firm and wanted only that firm services.

Just sharing, cos it happened and I'm not sure if this should happened.

Edited by raincole

Thanks all for your support, especially Cantona7 and zirhk3355.

thanks zirhk3355 for offering the help.. i'll definately contact u if i need ur help :sport-smiley-018:

as what Cantona7 said, our life is pretty much affected by this incident...

and of course.. we are not going to pay that 3.8k at all cost..

should i make a police report?? haha... but i don't think police can do anything about it either.

we are searching for ID now... hope we can get a good one soon..

I have a collegue who did her reno long time ago, and when I'm looking for one, I've asked her.

Her case: sign up with A firm but A firm dunno what happen, it wind-up, sell contract to B firm. And they still need to proceed with contract cos contract is a contract of service for your reno needs and B firm is able to fulfil at those condition, so there is both parties consideration.

Unless you can proved you enter the contract because you like the firm and wanted only that firm services.

like that ah??

i'm pretty sure that the contractor won't agree to this. coz he has 4 other company under his name / brother's name... don't think he will give to other contractor/ID.

Did this case went to court and decided as such by a magistrate? I would be quite surprised.

The contract is between two parties, the flat owner and the COMPANY, not the boss of the company. Even though the boss may own another company, he also cannot just change like that. Any changes must be agreed by both parties. No one is supposed to just 'sell' the contract to anyone else and enforce the other party to go thru the contract with someone else.

Eg you buy a flat from an owner and end up he is not eligible to sell. Then he 'sell' the contract to his uncle, who also want to sell his flat. Same flat type, similiar location and similiar price, then force you to accept it. Would you agree? :dunno:

and of course.. we are not going to pay that 3.8k at all cost..

Even at the cost of the beauty of your own flat?? :deal::P

Please think about it lor... :good:

Edited by zirhk3355