Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
MaCe

Money $$$ Not $$$ Enough Blog

Mace

Do you have any brand to recommend for hood (good suction power yet is easy to maintain and silent) and hob (that doens't rust easily)?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I need help! How to clean the cooker hood (the one that sucks up the oil etc)? Mine is really oily & dirty. I tried hot water with dish washing liquid, gif, baking soda but the oil still stuck in the "honeycomb" :(

i let the honey comb soak into a pail of hot water, and leave it overnight , the next day , the oil slicks all comes off leh.

Stumbled on this blog when i googled for the philips electronic ballast I found from a hardware store. Thanks for the information on this thread. I bought my ballast at $18 (expensive). Luckily i bought only one to tested it out. The rest I bought from the Choo Chiang Marketing at $9(as suggested in this blog), now I have completed all external FL lamp to electronic ballast. I have measured the power consumption with magnetic vs electronic ballast here is my result:

Magnetek 18W Magnetic ballast with 20W circular FL lamp

Watt measured : 30W

Philips 18W Electronic ballast with 20W circular FL lamp

Watts measured: 22W

There is a energy saving from electromagnetic ballast vs electronic ballast. However make sure you use the correct size ballast. I try using Philip 37W electronic ballast on my 20W lamp it actually is brighter but used about 30W. Not sure if this combination will it affect the lamp life so I change back some of my 37W to 18W ballast.

I have a few questions that I still looking for answer:

1) Are there electronic transformer for 12V Halogen light?

2) How to remove the Recessed light (downlight) to changed the ballast?

I need help! How to clean the cooker hood (the one that sucks up the oil etc)? Mine is really oily & dirty. I tried hot water with dish washing liquid, gif, baking soda but the oil still stuck in the "honeycomb" :(

can the "honeycomb" thing be dismantle and take out?

You can use Engine Degreaser sprays - car accessories department.

but make sure it's DRY after cleaning so that nothing drips into your food. :lol:

Mace

Do you have any brand to recommend for hood (good suction power yet is easy to maintain and silent) and hob (that doens't rust easily)?

sorry me no have hood - heard rinnai is the best.

I have a few questions that I still looking for answer:

1) Are there electronic transformer for 12V Halogen light?

2) How to remove the Recessed light (downlight) to changed the ballast?

1) yes there are - but most are builtin into the lamp.

go to kelantan road - lots of light/electrical shops there.

2) I dunno....1001 types of downlights out there. Thats why I bought those that uses screw in energy saving bulbs.

1) yes there are - but most are builtin into the lamp.

go to kelantan road - lots of light/electrical shops there.

2) I dunno....1001 types of downlights out there. Thats why I bought those that uses screw in energy saving bulbs.

1)Thanks I will try to look for the electronic transformer at kelantan road.

2)Most downlight uses spring clip to hold the light in place. It should be easy to mount the light holder in to the false ceiling but the reverse to remove the light holder is very difficult. I looking for tips to remove the light holder.

1)Thanks I will try to look for the electronic transformer at kelantan road.

2)Most downlight uses spring clip to hold the light in place. It should be easy to mount the light holder in to the false ceiling but the reverse to remove the light holder is very difficult. I looking for tips to remove the light holder.

if you can remove the whole downlight - removing the light holder shouldnt be a problem.

if you only have a few downlight - might as well think of changing all of them to screw in types.

mace, have u encountered mouldy painted/wallpapered plasterboards?

humidity....or did you WET wipe your plasterboard?

my plasterboard(gysum) no problem leh....maybe cos it near to my main door - always got wind?

if you can remove the whole downlight - removing the light holder shouldnt be a problem.

if you only have a few downlight - might as well think of changing all of them to screw in types.

I guess those screw in type downlight required quite alot of height in the false ceiling. My false celing is very shallow. :dunno: My PLC type downlight the bulb is plugged in horizontally to save vertical space.

I bought a philips electronic transformer (60Watts) to test it out. Using normal 50W 12V Halogen bulb

1. Using Optima 50W normal transformer, Power measured: 61Watts

2. Using Philips 60W electronic transformer, Power measured: 50.5 Watts

Here is a pic of the Philip electronic transformer I found from one of the online hardware shop.

philp%20transformer.jpg

Edited by nts

I guess those screw in type downlight required quite alot of height in the false ceiling. My false celing is very shallow. :dunno: My PLC type downlight the bulb is plugged in horizontally to save vertical space.

screw in type - you need around 1 feet clearance.

humidity....or did you WET wipe your plasterboard?

my plasterboard(gysum) no problem leh....maybe cos it near to my main door - always got wind?

the first time my mbr toilet got it, i wet wipe it. then it just re-grow back. at first i thot maybe toilet very humid so will get but my mbr wallpapered plasterboard oso got some mould on it suddenly. so is it the mould will travel thru air or something?

any way to get rid of it for good? like some cleaner etc..

MaCe,

Any recommendations for lighting shops over at Jalan Besar? Going lights shopping today...

Just talked to my ID yesterday... He told me that he will be giving me the 2x18W downlight... :( Thinking of buying the downlights myself and asking him to install it... You mentioned that the ones that you are using is 10W single tube one right?

the first time my mbr toilet got it, i wet wipe it. then it just re-grow back. at first i thot maybe toilet very humid so will get but my mbr wallpapered plasterboard oso got some mould on it suddenly. so is it the mould will travel thru air or something?

any way to get rid of it for good? like some cleaner etc..

there is a duck mold cleaner BUT cannot find it anymore in ntuc/carrefour...etc.

open your windows lor let fresh air comes in.

MaCe,

Any recommendations for lighting shops over at Jalan Besar? Going lights shopping today...

Just talked to my ID yesterday... He told me that he will be giving me the 2x18W downlight... :( Thinking of buying the downlights myself and asking him to install it... You mentioned that the ones that you are using is 10W single tube one right?

downlights = it's the casing that matters.

some casing looks OBIANG!!!

2x18w meaning theres 2 bulbs in 1x downlight = your house not a hotel, no need 2 bulbs in 1 downlight.

as for bulbs - you can use any wattage

go to kelantan road - many shops there - they sell to contractors.

I bought my stuffs there.

Spent the whole of yesterday at Jalan Besar... See lights see until blurz... :(

Still looking for kitchen lights and foyer light...

Edited by apprye

screw in type - you need around 1 feet clearance.

After some findings, PLC downlight cannot be use with electronic balast. Most PLC light bulb have only 2 pins and the starter is builtin to the PLC bulb. There are 4 pin PLC bulb but there are rare and much more expensive that the normal 2 pin PLC light bulb. On top of that, the light holder need to have 4 wires connected to the 4 pins PLC light.

So I decided to find light holder to horizontal screw type. The problem is most shop carried square downlight and not much round type nowdays. Some shop say it is not possible to have screw type in horizon layout.

I managed to find one shop in Jln Besar that have a similar size (round) downlight as mine. The sales guy is willing to modified the PLC to screw in holder (E27). Tested it with one of these modified downlight and it is working for me. Now the plan is to change the rest of my magnetic balast with PLC downlights to the builin electronic balast E27 downlight.