Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
cueball

Chew Interior Design

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Edmund,

Sure.. there's just too many pics.. started a blog of my reno horrifying experience. Hope to add some things I've observed and also hopefully some tips which hopefully can help many out there at least could save them from the same horror experience that I've gone thru.. here's just some of the pics..

http://aryan86.thoughts.com/posts/2-5-months-overdue-renovation-with-chew-interior-design-singapore

Hi Aryan86,

Do you mind sharing pictures as i like to see how an established renovation company can produce the things that you describe? Thanks

My resale hdb flat reno with Chew Interior Design is 2.5 months overdue and still not fully completed (pending final touch-ups), had to take so many urgent leave coz the works is always wrong and my ID will only inform me the day before whether I have bought the wash basin, lights etc coz the worker will come the next day to install - if I dun get it will delay another week. They will not be happy if you don't buy everything from them like their sanitary wares or lights from their own shop. Whenever the workers come, they would asked me what to do eventhough I have briefed the Interior Designer (Sales Designer) on the works again and again and even complete with drawings etc. I had to do the ID's job supervising the workers and pointing out every single thing even like "excess plaster here and there" and "drop of paint here and there". I left my house vacant for 3 weeks initially for the agreed reno duration and extended another week - rented a 1 common hdb to fit my family of 5 to facilitate the reno (couldn't get a whole house to rent for short term) so that it'll be easier for them to do the job and complete in time but I am aghastly frustrated with Chew Interior staff & workers poor and some unacceptable attitude, poor quality and acceptable delays. I moved into my house after 1 month but was so shocked to see that not a single room is ready except the common toilet and storeroom which I didn't renovate with Chew. Kitchen was not ready so we had to take water and wash our dishes in the common toilet. No bedroom doors. Not a single room was ready. I started discussing the reno details with the ID end Feb, confirmed works in Apr and by 1 June, it was still not 15% ready.

I escalated up and am so terribly upset and frustrated with all of them, attitude sucks. When we feedback that some of the works was not done correctly according to our instructions, the workers became angry and the Sales Manager even threatened to stop work twice when it was already 3 weeks overdue. Whenever, I flared up, they will try to do some work, and when I quitened down, they also keep quiet.

After I send a registered letter to the Managing Director, Mr Tan Geok Chew, detailing every single poor quality works and poor attitudes and poor service, our detailed sufferings living in dust, debris and the constant rubbish, debris that they left for us to clean for the 2.5 mths duration, he forwarded the whole case to the senior manager under customer care. They said "We try to help u whatever we can coz your new year coming.." but true colours finally shown - Even before works completed they asked me to pay half of the rest of the payment. They are more interested in asking for payment than the job itself. I was **** pissed off coz they didn't even bother to address our Sufferings - as in the letter that I send to the MD, asking him how he's going to resolve our sufferings.

Prior to this I got another quote from another reno co. which was much much cheaper but they required min 6 weeks and Chew promised that they can do it in 3 weeks. I decided to pay the high price just to get it ready in 3 weeks. And I was prepared for 2-3 weeks delays but was not prepared for this 2.5 months delays with poor attitude and poor quality for the price. We asked them why their prices are so high compared to others, the Sales Manager said that we are paying for Premium Quality and Skilled Workers.

Skilled Workers? Do skilled workers do anyhow job? Do skilled workers ask the owner what to do? Do skilled workers need to be told "pls clean up this excess plaster.. here.. there.." Do skilled workers leave rubbish the house and outside the house for the owner to clean? Do skilled workers throw cigarettes butts in the owner's house toilets and outside the door and near the staircases? Do skilled workers paint without covering the furniture below? Do skilled workers kept doing mistakes?

Premium Quality? Is re-using an old wire casing which is so dirty and ugly which you can see and know in a blink that it's not new and put it in the middle of the living hall for the new fan premium quality(mind you they charge 2.5k for electrical works)? Is the outcome of the custom bunk bed so different from the 3D perspective drawing premium quality? Is painting the wall and laminates of cabinets with the ID's choice and not the owner's choice premium quality? Cabinets doors have gaps, bookshelf shelves bent in less than 24 hours, wardrobes hinges spoilt - became detached from the door, screws sticking out, uneven doors, gaps in the floor laminates, the shoe cabinets have 3 drawers when agreed 1 drawer only, the staff lost my order forms, didn't note down my selections, mistakes, mistakes, mistakes etc. etc. etc. Are all this Premium? All these and more.. are Chew Interior Design works.

My resale hdb flat reno with Chew Interior Design is 2.5 months overdue and still not fully completed (pending final touch-ups), had to take so many urgent leave coz the works is always wrong and my ID will only inform me the day before whether I have bought the wash basin, lights etc coz the worker will come the next day to install - if I dun get it will delay another week. They will not be happy if you don't buy everything from them like their sanitary wares or lights from their own shop. Whenever the workers come, they would asked me what to do eventhough I have briefed the Interior Designer (Sales Designer) on the works again and again and even complete with drawings etc. I had to do the ID's job supervising the workers and pointing out every single thing even like "excess plaster here and there" and "drop of paint here and there". I left my house vacant for 3 weeks initially for the agreed reno duration and extended another week - rented a 1 common hdb to fit my family of 5 to facilitate the reno (couldn't get a whole house to rent for short term) so that it'll be easier for them to do the job and complete in time but I am aghastly frustrated with Chew Interior staff & workers poor and some unacceptable attitude, poor quality and acceptable delays. I moved into my house after 1 month but was so shocked to see that not a single room is ready except the common toilet and storeroom which I didn't renovate with Chew. Kitchen was not ready so we had to take water and wash our dishes in the common toilet. No bedroom doors. Not a single room was ready. I started discussing the reno details with the ID end Feb, confirmed works in Apr and by 1 June, it was still not 15% ready.

I escalated up and am so terribly upset and frustrated with all of them, attitude sucks. When we feedback that some of the works was not done correctly according to our instructions, the workers became angry and the Sales Manager even threatened to stop work twice when it was already 3 weeks overdue. Whenever, I flared up, they will try to do some work, and when I quitened down, they also keep quiet.

After I send a registered letter to the Managing Director, Mr Tan Geok Chew, detailing every single poor quality works and poor attitudes and poor service, our detailed sufferings living in dust, debris and the constant rubbish, debris that they left for us to clean for the 2.5 mths duration, he forwarded the whole case to the senior manager under customer care. They said "We try to help u whatever we can coz your new year coming.." but true colours finally shown - Even before works completed they asked me to pay half of the rest of the payment. They are more interested in asking for payment than the job itself. I was **** pissed off coz they didn't even bother to address our Sufferings - as in the letter that I send to the MD, asking him how he's going to resolve our sufferings.

Prior to this I got another quote from another reno co. which was much much cheaper but they required min 6 weeks and Chew promised that they can do it in 3 weeks. I decided to pay the high price just to get it ready in 3 weeks. And I was prepared for 2-3 weeks delays but was not prepared for this 2.5 months delays with poor attitude and poor quality for the price. We asked them why their prices are so high compared to others, the Sales Manager said that we are paying for Premium Quality and Skilled Workers.

Skilled Workers? Do skilled workers do anyhow job? Do skilled workers ask the owner what to do? Do skilled workers need to be told "pls clean up this excess plaster.. here.. there.." Do skilled workers leave rubbish the house and outside the house for the owner to clean? Do skilled workers throw cigarettes butts in the owner's house toilets and outside the door and near the staircases? Do skilled workers paint without covering the furniture below? Do skilled workers kept doing mistakes?

Premium Quality? Is re-using an old wire casing which is so dirty and ugly which you can see and know in a blink that it's not new and put it in the middle of the living hall for the new fan premium quality(mind you they charge 2.5k for electrical works)? Is the outcome of the custom bunk bed so different from the 3D perspective drawing premium quality? Is painting the wall and laminates of cabinets with the ID's choice and not the owner's choice premium quality? Cabinets doors have gaps, bookshelf shelves bent in less than 24 hours, wardrobes hinges spoilt - became detached from the door, screws sticking out, uneven doors, gaps in the floor laminates, the shoe cabinets have 3 drawers when agreed 1 drawer only, the staff lost my order forms, didn't note down my selections, mistakes, mistakes, mistakes etc. etc. etc. Are all this Premium? All these and more.. are Chew Interior Design works.

Hi all,

Im new to this forum and we are first-timers.

Read through the forum and was shocked to find out chew interior is so not recommended by people. I thought they are quite reputable?

We went to a couple of IDs before settling for chew. Havent sign the contract yet. The ID is TJ. Anyone has engaged his service before? Is the deposit fee $2000 upon signing? This is the most expensive deposit as compared to others.

Welcome all advices! Thanks!

simplyme, I pray that you have yet to make any hasty move and gone ahead and signed anything. This will be a short and sweet one: The sales persons are nice, yes, I agree. But only at first because they're after your hard-earned money. Upon signing, drama begins and you'll feel like your life's a living ****. The sweet and charming ID becomes the evil devil who'll treat you like dirt and when you ask to speak to his superior, you'll come to understand why your ID is an azz because the superior himself is a bigger one (like father like son). Go ahead and engage Chew ONLY if you (1) have a tight budget (always ask for discounts as you go along because Chew is handing them out freely); (2) are in no rush to move into your renovated home; (3) seriously don't mind living in a second-rate done-up home; (4) possess high tolerance for endless bull from the time you sign till the end of time; (5) don't mind having sleepless nightmare-induced nights for as long as you live in the home they renovated.

P.S. Ever wonder why Chew advertises so much? It is because they aren't getting referrals, period.

Hi all,

Im new to this forum and we are first-timers.

Read through the forum and was shocked to find out chew interior is so not recommended by people. I thought they are quite reputable?

We went to a couple of IDs before settling for chew. Havent sign the contract yet. The ID is TJ. Anyone has engaged his service before? Is the deposit fee $2000 upon signing? This is the most expensive deposit as compared to others.

Welcome all advices! Thanks!

Wj888,

Do you mean if you find the quote not satisfactory, you will go elsewhere to get the job done, for eg contractor?

Actually I think Chew is shooting themselves in the foot. Cos people can just "buy" the 3D drawings and then go elsewhere to do the Reno. My only suspect is that their designers are not that good that's why they are willing to sell the drawing?

This kind of practice happened in the past and from my experience, good designers these days will not do this anymore.

Chew seems quite well established and they have one super big showroom. But I dunno why they are not well recommended in this forum and elsewhere.

I am very careful of all the sweet words used by ID companies though. Sometimes it's all sales talk. What comes out at the end is something much less desirable.

wah... comments so bad. I think i better not go there

I think they forget we are the future generation, where we will ask our sons and our sons' sons' never to go there...........

That's alot of business lost in the long run.

I think their target is the huge and rich carrots who live without price check

No. Means I am just paying for the 3D design of the whole house. Not taking those renovation package that includes the 3D drawings.

Then I can ask them to quote me and since the design is mine, I can also go around and ask other contractors to quote.

Wow! this sounds much better...sorry, so u got chew interior to do the design? Think w the design, getting a contrator to do it will be much cheaper

you mean paying 1.5k does not mean you are taking the contract?

No. Means I am just paying for the 3D design of the whole house. Not taking those renovation package that includes the 3D drawings.

Then I can ask them to quote me and since the design is mine, I can also go around and ask other contractors to quote.

The Sales Designer who attended to me sounds ethusiatic and he is willing to show me one of his completed projects.

I just paid $1.5k for full 3D design (iterations until satisfied) as he sounds quite confident of his own finished product.

I'll see how it goes. Paying $1.5k to see full colour of SD is better than signing a full reno package contract and then discovered otherwise.

you mean paying 1.5k does not mean you are taking the contract?

The Sales Designer who attended to me sounds ethusiatic and he is willing to show me one of his completed projects.

I just paid $1.5k for full 3D design (iterations until satisfied) as he sounds quite confident of his own finished product.

I'll see how it goes. Paying $1.5k to see full colour of SD is better than signing a full reno package contract and then discovered otherwise.

hmm, how come majority (if not all) posting here are not happy with Chew.

I went down to Chew and met by one of the staff (guess he's just sales).

Gave me handwritten quotation. I think the price is comparable to other company.

But after reading all this, I get scared :P

it's quite difficult to bargain here..... they'll say their quality is superior and his reno team is very popular and hot, need to secure their services fast to get his team.... i would prefer to view the quality first.. anyway, was only walking pass their counter during the recent show and needed a place to rest.

its been more than 3 weeks and no reply from them......some more got the cheek to say i'm not in a hurry. **** atas sial. i'm sure glad that i didnt let them take up my project. 8|