Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yhliang

A New Era In An Old Resale Flat (Super Budget)

Hi all,

Initially thought of writing this blog only after I get my key on 22/5. But since free today, why not just start it.

First off all, Thank you guys & gals. I've learned really a lot from Renotalk. You guys and gals are great. Thanks for all the sharing and guidance that I've learn over the times.

To start off, Allow me to have a short intro.

Both me and my wife to be were divorcees with kids. So most part of the renovation will be more on functionality rather than visual design. And of course, will be super small budget since we got others commitment to fulfill.

And since my English is private limited, most of the post will be picture only.

Hope you guys/gals will like it and paisei for the low budget still want renovation.

Regards

Liang

Edited by yhliang

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

getinlinee.png

This is the Floor plan.

Its so difficult to find a house that both of us likes.

The killer part was that the location must be near where our kids were studying. So the choice is limited. But thanks to the Almighty up there. We finally found one after umpteen numbers of flat searching.

Edited by yhliang

Hi Liang,

Don't need to be paisei - a lot of people are on budget when it comes to renovation. Times are bad now so we need to be careful with our spending.

Will look out for your posts, keep them coming!

Edited by sohck

floorplannerimage.jpg

I'm not really good in computer or designing. This is the best I can get from Floor planner.

Since we just want to keep the house simple and no fanciful design like "TV feature wall, Designer cabinet "etc.. we decided to find some contractor to do some touch up and we can move in le.

But on the 2nd visit to the flat. We found that there's alot of crack line on the kitchen and toilet wall and the interior of the cabinet looks kind of bad. Bobianz. Now must stretch my budget to do up the toilets and kitchen.

After meeting up with a few contractor and ID that was recommended by Renotalk. We decided to sign up with Mr Jimmy Tan of 3D innovation. Hope all the best to my renovation Journey

Edited by yhliang

We decided that the girls will share bedroom2, while we use bedroom3 as a study. The original idea was to custom build a study table along the wall, long enf to accommodate 3 pax. The girls will sit on either side and one of us will sit in the middle and be supervisor. Haha

But, on consideration that our girls request to have own bedroom in future when they grow bigger, we decided to drop the idea of any build-in for the study, and opt for ready-made and moveable furniture instead. This also helps keep cost down.

Since I'll be the one doing the cooking. So selection of Hood and Hob will be my Call.

Hood - Fujioh FX900 for its well received comments of good performance

n

Hob- FG 792SS for its simplicity

hoodf.jpg

fujiohfg792ssgashob.jpg

Hi Liang,

Don't need to be paisei - a lot of people are on budget when it comes to renovation. Times are bad now so we need to be careful with our spending.

Will look out for your posts, keep them coming!

Thanks for viewing my Blog and the encouragement.

Yup times are bad. So on the following post, Whichever item we purchased. It confirm is the lowest price that I can find in Singapore or Malaysia. Haha. We did a lot of comparison and since electrical stuff are all warrant by their brand dealer so we just grab whoever offer the lowest price.

regards

Liang

Hi Liang & Haleary,

Congrats on finding a home that you both love & having the courage to start again with each other. Best wishes & looking forward to the 3Ds by your ID. Have a great weekend! :yamseng:

Hi there. Welcome to renotalk. Why don't consider converting the dining room into a study room or guest room? For a room that size to make into a dining room is a bit wasted. I think your kitchen is long and big enough to accommodate a dining table for 4-5 people. Otherwise, hack the kitchen wall and connect the kitchen with living room, then you won't waste the space as "corridor" between sofa and kitchen. You can make good use of that space.

Haha, cannot have too many room, wait future inlaw come n stay with us.

Did think of hacking. Currently every renovation item that we going to do is the basic. If the condition is not so bad, our initial plan was just rewiring and paint whole house only.

We have only view the flat twice. So at this moment and hopefully only these few items need to be done.

1) rewiring whole flat

2) refurbish kitchen and 2 toilets

3) build in wardrobe for master bedroom and kids room

4) L box in living n dining room to cover the ugly pipes

5) paint whole house

6) varnish 3 bedroom parquet

Since we don't have our place now. So every furniture,electronic and even utensils have to buy new one. Nothing to bring over. Siong ah

Edited by yhliang

Hi there. Welcome to renotalk. Why don't consider converting the dining room into a study room or guest room? For a room that size to make into a dining room is a bit wasted. I think your kitchen is long and big enough to accommodate a dining table for 4-5 people. Otherwise, hack the kitchen wall and connect the kitchen with living room, then you won't waste the space as "corridor" between sofa and kitchen. You can make good use of that space.

Actually, I emphasis a lot on having meals together as a family. (old thinking ;p)

So I prefer to have a proper dinning area that is free from distraction, where we can enjoy the meal together.

On the other hand, we kind of expect that the in-law will come over to stay with us, sometime in the future, so we will keep the dinning room as it is now, and in future, convert it to a room when the need arise.

We are trying to avoid hacking in our living and dinning room as we like the old ceramic floor tiles. Also, as we really hope to shift in soonest possible, by end June, so we tot it's best to keep to existing layout.