Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Dawnnn

What Defects Should We Look Out For In Our New Bto Flat?

Hi guys,

I'm about to collect my keys any time now. Was just wondering, what are the defects we should look out for within seven days of key collection?

I've found this list on Renotalk so far:

1. Check your keys. Make sure each key, even the one for your letter box, opens the corresponding doors properly.
  2. Switch on all lights, and ensure that none are blown or sport faulty starters.
  3. Turn on all taps, faucets and showers, and let the water run. This way, you can also find out of something's choking up your sink. Do take note that BTOs do not come with showers installed, so bring along a rubber hose to attach on the tap. Flood your floor and check whether it drains out quickly. If it doesn't, then perhaps your floor wasn't slopped properly.
  4. Have a sip of the tap water after you've deemed it clean enough. It should taste fresh and free from corrosion. Plus, there should also be no unnatural particles floating around when you fill up a clear glass.
  5. Open every window in the house to their maximum capacity. Check that they are functioning properly, even the handles. These should be tightly secured, and easily turned and locked. Forcing the handles into lock position will only loosen them and since these are dead-bolted into the window frames, the only solution around it is to re-bolt them onto another area. Not only will this leave unsightly holes, your handles will also not be level with the rest.
  6. Flush your toilets, and observe how long it takes for the water tank to fill up before you flush again.
  7. If your unit comes with a fancy accordion pole hanger for drying clothes, play around with it to ensure everything is bolted properly and its mechanisms function smoothly.
  8. For tiled walls, take a 50 cents coin or a marble, and tap on each tile to check if it's hollow or loose.
  9. Be on a vigilant look out for any water leakage or damage on your ceilings, especially after the neighbours on the floor above you has moved in and begun their renovations.
  10. Remember that just because the flat is newly built, its fittings such as pipes, gates and windows are brand new too. Other things that you should take note of are signs of rust, cracks on the toilet bowls and sinks, and window rubber linings that are not dried.

Source: http://www.renotalk.com/articles/372/The-Essential-Guide-for-New-Homeowners

Does anyone know what other defects I should look out for? Also, what are the things we can request to fix or change?

Much thanks!

Edited by Dawnnn

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Some years back, my friend bought a HDB BTO in Sengkang. Then got his contractor to come in and do renovation. Bedroom doors was remove (as he was replacing it) and had marble flooring and build-in wardrobe installed . When the door contractor came to fix the door, realize that the door frame was not parallel, so he would have to cut the door such that the top width is larger than the bottom width. Very ugly. Reported to the HDB. They came, inspect and acknowledge door frame was not installed properly. Option to my friend was either live with it or hack off the door frame and re-install (by HDB contractor of course; FOC). Problem is: marble floor already done, hack door frame will affect the marble floor and the build-in wardrobe too. So check, check & check. Do it on different days and look at different things. Don't rush.

Hey, its a looking nice points i also want to say hack door frame will affect the marble floor and the build-in wardrobe too. So check, check & check. Do it on different days and look at different things. Don't rush.so have a different points nice dear

Remember to check if the walls are aligned too. Sometimes is not parallel to each other for whatever reason. Although they might not seem like a problem now, but when you start putting furniture in, they might cause some issue.