Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

M&e - Quintessentially Eclectic

Thanks for the encouragement! I look forward to more comments as my home undergoes its metamorphosis over the next 6 weeks (hopefully no longer than that!). I've just posted pix of the before shots - reno's to start officially tomorrow.

I'm a big fan of DIY and customisation. Am planning to buy several 2nd hand furniture pieces and have them refurbished, as well as making cushion covers out of vintage fabrics purchased off eBay.

I'll cross my fingers for a smooth and pain-free reno process in the meanwhile!

Ahhh...Good Good! That is eclectic spirit, refurbishing! I have collect a few pieces of old furnitures too, some from grandparent's home and roadside. So far I have convert a tulip chair to a low table for my Kartell table lamp, resprayed a tulip chair to white, and a chair waiting to be send for refurbishing. I do not have much time for refurbishing right now. Gotta be on full force in preparing for my upcoming wedding in early november.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

FLOOR PLAN & PERSPECTIVE DRAWINGS

floorplanyy6.jpg

The skeletal outline of M&E's new home - we're counting down eagerly to zero hour, where the 146 sqm space will be wrecked beyond recognition for the metamorphosis to begin!

M and I have decided to opt for black and white as our basic palette for the lower level. Amongst the carpentry works to be done include:

KITCHEN

35ft kitchen cabinets (18 ft solid surface kitchen worktop) with a breakfast counter

- EDL laminate in Nice Monceau (black woodgrain) and LG Solid Surface top in Artic White

kitchenuu0.jpg

LIVING

1 x full height book shelf and 1 x half height book shelf (built at recess area under stairs)

- EDL laminate in White Wash Wood

bookshelveskl8.jpg

MASTER BEDROOM

1 x 7.5 ft sliding wardrobe (for M) and 1 x 9 ft sliding wardrobe (for E)

- EDL laminate in Floral Evolution (White for M, Black for E)

Unfortunately, much as my heart was set on a spacious walk-in wardrobe, we decided to opt for two sliding wardrobes to maximise the space as we would definitely not have been able to achieve a run of 16.5 ft with a WIW.

blackwardrobeai3.jpg

whitewardrobees1.jpg

COMMON BATHROOM

1 x 2.5 ft vanity cabinet

We're still yet undecided on the cabinet and solid surface colour - possibly a black surface and white cabinet to contrast with the glossy turquoise blue wall tiles. Hmmmmm...

Ahhh...Good Good! That is eclectic spirit, refurbishing! I have collect a few pieces of old furnitures too, some from grandparent's home and roadside. So far I have convert a tulip chair to a low table for my Kartell table lamp, resprayed a tulip chair to white, and a chair waiting to be send for refurbishing. I do not have much time for refurbishing right now. Gotta be on full force in preparing for my upcoming wedding in early november.

Nice! I like Tulip chairs. I'm thinking of getting some el cheapo classic Eames dining chairs though to pair with my customised teak dining table (wanted the really RAW teak sort but unfortunately the prices for those are way out of my zip code).

Back to the chairs - I've seen them at Comfort and Gnee Hong, but after having tried sitting on them, I'm doubtful that I will be able to convince M to accept them (he's quite big on comfort). Perhaps we may just get a couple of acid green Urban chairs from IKEA eventually. I do want to have two classic baroque inspired chairs placed at each end of the 2m table - hopefully I'd be able to unearth some second hand treasures that fit the bill!

The dining table will be placed at the existing balcony (which will be finished with pebble wash flooring). We're intending to line the perimeter of the balcony with grass carpet and hopefully hunt down a quirky garden gnome statue for a charming garden feel.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding! I'm sure with your passion for DIY and creativity, it will be a special one. And of course, you've have loads more pix after that to line your walls! :yamseng:

Edited by tristesse

Nice! I like Tulip chairs. I'm thinking of getting some el cheapo classic Eames dining chairs though to pair with my customised teak dining table (wanted the really RAW teak sort but unfortunately the prices for those are way out of my zip code).

Back to the chairs - I've seen them at Comfort and Gnee Hong, but after having tried sitting on them, I'm doubtful that I will be able to convince M to accept them (he's quite big on comfort). Perhaps we may just get a couple of acid green Urban chairs from IKEA eventually. I do want to have two classic baroque inspired chairs placed at each end of the 2m table - hopefully I'd be able to unearth some second hand treasures that fit the bill!

The dining table will be placed at the existing balcony (which will be finished with pebble wash flooring). We're intending to line the perimeter of the balcony with grass carpet and hopefully hunt down a quirky garden gnome statue for a charming garden feel.

Woohoo...sound interesting! Consider the gnome stool by Philippe Starck, it is totally quirky! You sound like a crazy home-maker but I like your style!:yamseng: Where is the shop Comfort and Gnee Hong? Heard of their name but dunno where and what they sell. So far I have only explore old neighbourhood stores to hunt for those retro furnitures!

My home is over populated by chairs or seatings, I think I am addicted to chairs! My wife is irritated by the numbers of chair...hehe :P

Woohoo...sound interesting! Consider the gnome stool by Philippe Starck, it is totally quirky! You sound like a crazy home-maker but I like your style!:yamseng: Where is the shop Comfort and Gnee Hong? Heard of their name but dunno where and what they sell. So far I have only explore old neighbourhood stores to hunt for those retro furnitures!

My home is over populated by chairs or seatings, I think I am addicted to chairs! My wife is irritated by the numbers of chair...hehe :P

Yeah! We actually did see that stool in a mag - but considering it's retailing for $500+ at Lifestorey, is too much an extravagance (for the time being at least). Anyway, if you think that's crazy, wait till you see the witty Guitou the Cat wall vinyls I purchased. Heh

201gdguitoublackvt9.jpg

And these vinyl stickers from Blik will adorn the wall of my balcony to complete the al fresco feel!

blik700byletterzv5.jpg

If you really dig chairs, you should check out Comfort Furniture (Blk 1 Rochor Rd #01-534 near Bugis Junction) - they've got a website (you can try googling it). Gnee Hong's along Bencoolen Street, quite similar stuff to Comfort.

Waahhh....sounds like a really major project...looking forward to your completed pictures!

Thanks! Always good to hear from another EM owner!

Yeah! We actually did see that stool in a mag - but considering it's retailing for $500+ at Lifestorey, is too much an extravagance (for the time being at least). Anyway, if you think that's crazy, wait till you see the witty Guitou the Cat wall vinyls I purchased. Heh

201gdguitoublackvt9.jpg

And these vinyl stickers from Blik will adorn the wall of my balcony to complete the al fresco feel!

blik700byletterzv5.jpg

If you really dig chairs, you should check out Comfort Furniture (Blk 1 Rochor Rd #01-534 near Bugis Junction) - they've got a website (you can try googling it). Gnee Hong's along Bencoolen Street, quite similar stuff to Comfort.

Oh...I saw that vinyl stickers before! I saw someone DIY that with vinyl sticker...erm I think I saw it in a TV programme about DIY

Thanks for the encouragement! I look forward to more comments as my home undergoes its metamorphosis over the next 6 weeks (hopefully no longer than that!). I've just posted pix of the before shots - reno's to start officially tomorrow.

I'm a big fan of DIY and customisation. Am planning to buy several 2nd hand furniture pieces and have them refurbished, as well as making cushion covers out of vintage fabrics purchased off eBay.

I'll cross my fingers for a smooth and pain-free reno process in the meanwhile!

yay! another DIY fan !! whao u seem to have bought lotsa stuff even b4 reno starts :P so how much are u budgetting for your reno:)

Hi tristesse, can imagine your place to be full of character and style! :jawdrop:

Here's something i feel you and folks like sumobear will appreciate... I simply lament the fact that they are not available locally (or are they? these are ceramic wall tiles with ultra cool designs :good: )

cermaicwalltiles2.jpg

ceramicwalltiles.jpg

Edited by christinetan

yay! another DIY fan :wub: whao u seem to have bought lotsa stuff even b4 reno starts :notti: so how much are u budgetting for your reno:)

Gosh! I'm really busting the bank with all my little trinklets! I think I must've spent about $6k on them - including lots of shabby chic accessories from US. My reno works will cost around $42k in total. :notti:

RENO DAY 5 - DESTRUCTION COMPLETE

Freshly hacked walls. This will be window opening at the kitchen (with much neatening of the opening needed)

img0235zq0.jpg

A huge pile of sand is the newest occupant of the living room - screeding to commence on Monday!

img0239gv1.jpg

Our tiles waiting to be laid (pun intended!) !!

img0237ms6.jpg

People say the eyes are the windows to one's soul.

Here, our windows offer a glimpse of the soul of our home.

We chose white powder coated sliding windows with clear glass (instead of tinted ones) for an airy, spacious look.

img0234th0.jpg

Hi tristesse, can imagine your place to be full of character and style! :)

Here's something i feel you and folks like sumobear will appreciate... I simply lament the fact that they are not available locally (or are they? these are ceramic wall tiles with ultra cool designs !! )

cermaicwalltiles2.jpg

ceramicwalltiles.jpg

Hi christinetan,

Wow! The printed tiles are lovely - pity they are not available locally! They look very much the style of designer firm 5.5 designers. Thanks for sharing... do hope a tile merchant brings them in (eventually).

!!

Edited by tristesse

RENO DAY 9 - TILING

Our efficient tilers have made good progress on the tiling. The wall tiles are almost all complete, and hopefully in another day or so, our brick feature wall in the living room will be up.

Freshly plastered kitchen walls - another look at our window opening.

img0291kb0.jpg

A touch of retro: our white kitchen walls tiles, to be contrasted with grey grout.

img0285um4.jpg

Vintage boudoir style guest washroom - it will be completed with a mini chandelier in time to come.

kitchentoiletdr6.jpg

Black beauty - we'll bathe in style in our all-black master bathroom. Love the glossy mock-croc tiles!

masterbathof0.jpg

Our mediterranean-themed turquoise, white and black common bathroom.

commonbathew1.jpg

RENO DAY 11

Kitchen half wall up! This 4 feet tall wall will shield our Toshiba Lucent Washer/Dryer from prying eyes. All wall tiles in the kitchen have been laid as well.

kitchenwallec0.jpg

The waterproofing and screeding in two bathrooms are also complete - floor tiles will be laid tomorrow.

The mound of sand in our living is slowly but surely depleting. The balcony walls have been plastered, and the feature wall is ready for the laying of brick tiles.

livingrmtc5.jpg

The new look of our entrance - the hacked kitchen wall and window opening lends a touch of spaciousness. Dark grey grout will provide contrast and add definition to the white rectangular gloss tiles.

newentranceyw8.jpg